• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Where did this all begin - are we to blame?

The atmosphere was fantastic while Jol was here, even in defeat, and I feel in agreement with whoever it was who said the rot seemed to set in soon after he was given the push. The behavioural signals come from the top, and personally, I think that's where the roots of the sense of entitlement lie.

Yes the message from ENIC is that not being in the top 4 is a huge failure- it is bound to rub off on us.
I know I only go a few times a season nowadays, but the last (non-CL) match where I felt really proud of our fans was the one when we sang for Jol on his way out.

Since then we've been reacting to what's in front of us rather than creating the atmosphere.

Edit: Actually, I don't think the CL nights are all that pride-inducing either. If we can't get excited about the CL them we may as well all give up.

Jol's last match is the last time I remember us just making noise without being prompted by the team.

I think that during the Jol years there was an appreciation that we were improving and that we could give anyone a game after a decade of being **** but people were more forgiving when it did not go to plan. There was still a lot of skating of individual players though. Unfortunately, now too many people expect us to win every game and get very negative when this does not happen.

The run in during that first season when we qualified for the UEFA Cup under Jol was brilliant. It was like a party every game.

I think there were several reasons why the atmosphere was generally good under Jol.

1. We had been absolute dog sh!t for the previous 10 years or so, Jol came in and immediately got us (I think) 5 or 6 wins in a row and had us in with a chance of UEFA Cup qualification on the final game of the season in his first season at the club. Then in his first full season he took us to within a game of CL qualification, where we ended up failing due to unforseen circumstances (and in my opinion a PL stitch up with the head honcho being entertained over at Highbury and our match being ordered to go ahead before the national team doctor had even got a chance to arrive at The Boleyn and assess our players as was supposed to be the case).

2. The football that Jol had the team playing was fast, attacking and generally exciting.

3. We had a number of players in the team that the crowd could connect to, including a large contingent of young, British players (I think I remember a few articles at the time showing how we had the most British players and also showing how we could field an entire team of British players). I think I can also remember us having more players in the England squad than any other club and being proud of this fact.

4. The manager really connected with the fans (and vice versa) We were like one big happy family who were clearly progressing on the pitch.

5. Under Jol we turned WHL into a fortress.

Jol had the effect of seriously raising the bar in terms of the future expectations of our fans from both a footballing and results perspective.

The above being said things still weren't all rosy at WHL.... I can remember some terrible stuff directed at (in particular) Atouba and then Lee Young Pyo (who I thought was actually a brilliant full back who had to control the entire left side due to Jol's 'wonky' 4-4-2 type formation where the left sided midfielder tucked in and played almost as another central player). I can also remember the atmosphere at the start of the season when Jol got sacked being pretty bad. It was only really when we learned that Jol had gone (in an absolutely awful manner) that we rallied round and sang for him I thought.

Ramos then did some good things and some bad. At times our football was excellent and we seemed to be able to really turn a performance on in the big games. I remember the atmosphere being very good under him until his disastrous "2 points from 8 games" (or whatever it was) start to the season after losing Berbatov and Keane, where it was clear that the players were not playing for the manager at all and we seemed rudderless with no leadership on the pitch at all.

Then came Redknapp. Personally I massively disagree with those on here who say the atmosphere was bad under Redknapp and that he divided the fans. I can only think that this perspective could come from somebody who didn't go to WHL. From where I was sitting (in the East stand) Redknapp only seemed to be met with disapproval from the fans who rarely go to WHL, or perhaps don't go at all.... The feelings for Redknapp may have been mixed from the keyboard warriors and football phone in lunatics, no doubt because he was old school English and didn't speak with a sexy foreign accent. However at WHL the regulars were right behind him, appreciating the good results and the football that the team played. IMO we were the best team in the league to watch at that time, our football was for the most part fast, attacking and extremely pleasing on the eye. We went at the opposition from the off, played with no less than FIVE proper attacking players and even then also got our fullbacks forward. We used our pace out wide and played some fantastic passing triangles, but at a serious pace. We could impose our game on just about any opposition and the tempo of the game was dictated entirely by us. I think Bill Nicholson and Danny Blanchflower would've been smiling down on us at that time as Redknapp's philosophy was pretty much aligned to that of those two greats. Yes the atmosphere for games such as Arsenal, Chelsea or Inter Milan at home were better than for Wigan or Wolves - but the crowd at WHL were positive and supportive because we always went out and took the game to the opposition. Under Redknapp for a while we kind of became many fans of other team's "second team".... Everywhere I went to watch Spurs away the opposition's fans would comment on how they loved to watch us and how they hoped we could displace one of the existing top four.

My thoughts are that the atmosphere actually gradually deteriorated under AVB. Seeing as AVB's results were no worse than Redknapp's (and perhaps on a points per game basis actually better than Redknapp's?) I think it was the performances as opposed to the results that people didn't like. Suddenly going to WHL wasn't nearly as entertaining, we didn't play with pace, verve and excitement but instead tried to contain the opposition, restrict their possession, keep the ball at all costs and slowly march forward. The actual content of the matches often became somewhat boring.... Which was fine against the Arsenals, Chelseas, etc as there is natural atmosphere in the ground due to the occasion, but when games against the lower ranking clubs became the same tactical affairs the crowd, naturally, were more muted.

Now I'm not going lie and say that Pochettino was my first choice. I was quite strong in my desire for us to bring De Boer to the club. That being said I wasn't at all displeased that we got Pochettino and he was easily my second choice ahead of any of the other candidates. One of the reasons for that was the exciting attacking football that he had Southampton playing. I accept that we are not going to win the league in the near future - perhaps not even in my lifetime, I also accept that it is an extremely remote possibility of us qualifying for the Champions League this season, next season or even the season after. Therefore what I want from the £1,200 a year I spend on my Season Ticket is to go the game and be entertained by my team having a right go at the opposition and playing a brand of football that makes me smile. Jol had us doing this, Redknapp had us doing this, Ramos had us doing this in his first season until he lost the dressing room, Santini never had us doing this, AVB rarely had us doing this. I hope that Pochettino can get us doing this, otherwise I fear the fans at WHL will ensure that he does not last at our club.

Last edited:
I think, sadly, that life in general appears to have taken on those clothes. I mean, not in my life BUT when i look around, there's a lot of it about...

yep from music to movies everything seems about the safe choice to keep everyone happy and making a little money but not taking any risks. I am not saying I am going to go to an art gallery and think an unmade bed is a work of art. But I would like to see more risks taken in society.

yep from music to movies everything seems about the safe choice to keep everyone happy and making a little money but not taking any risks. I am not saying I am going to go to an art gallery and think an unmade bed is a work of art. But I would like to see more risks taken in society.

Like on bonds backed by subprime mortgages perhaps?!? :)

We find something that we can agree on!

I once nearly had a fight with the bloke who sits in front of me in the Shelf lower, by the halfway line. Our group of four was singing, joining in with the Park Lane when the bloke who sits in front turned round and shouted, "If you don't shut the **** up, I'm gonna knock you spark out". I asked him what his problem was. He complained that we were singing too much. I pointed out that it was a football match and that fans are kind of expected to sing and generally make a bit of noise.

He pointed to the Park Lane end and said, "If you want to ****ing sing, **** off to that stand".

To which I replied, "If you want to watch Spurs in peace and quiet, stay at home and watch it on your ****ing television".

To which he had no answer.

The game? Only that epic 3-1, taxi for Maicon victory v Inter Milan. If you can't get yourself up for a game like that, when will you ever?

Yep, good we can agree on this, and well done for being a proper supporter, as I like to think I am too. :)

I think there were several reasons why the atmosphere was generally good under Jol.

1. We had been absolute dog sh!t for the previous 10 years or so, Jol came in and immediately got us (I think) 5 or 6 wins in a row and had us in with a chance of UEFA Cup qualification on the final game of the season in his first season at the club. Then in his first full season he took us to within a game of CL qualification, where we ended up failing due to unforseen circumstances (and in my opinion a PL stitch up with the head honcho being entertained over at Highbury and our match being ordered to go ahead before the national team doctor had even got a chance to arrive at The Boleyn and assess our players as was supposed to be the case).

2. The football that Jol had the team playing was fast, attacking and generally exciting.

3. We had a number of players in the team that the crowd could connect to, including a large contingent of young, British players (I think I remember a few articles at the time showing how we had the most British players and also showing how we could field an entire team of British players). I think I can also remember us having more players in the England squad than any other club and being proud of this fact.

4. The manager really connected with the fans (and vice versa) We were like one big happy family who were clearly progressing on the pitch.

Jol had the effect of seriously raising the bar in terms of the future expectations of our fans from both a footballing and results perspective.

The above being said things still weren't all rosy at WHL.... I can remember some terrible stuff directed at (in particular) Atouba and then Lee Young Pyo (who I thought was actually a brilliant full back who had to control the entire left side due to Jol's 'wonky' 4-4-2 type formation where the left sided midfielder tucked in and played almost as another central player). I can also remember the atmosphere at the start of the season when Jol got sacked being pretty bad. It was only really when we learned that Jol had gone (in an absolutely awful manner) that we rallied round and sang for him I thought.

Ramos then did some good things and some bad. At times our football was excellent and we seemed to be able to really turn a performance on in the big games. I remember the atmosphere being very good under him until his disastrous "2 points from 8 games" (or whatever it was) start to the season after losing Berbatov and Keane, where it was clear that the players were not playing for the manager at all and we seemed rudderless with no leadership on the pitch at all.

Then came Redknapp. Personally I massively disagree with those on here who say the atmosphere was bad under Redknapp and that he divided the fans. I can only think that this perspective could come from somebody who didn't go to WHL. From where I was sitting (in the East stand) Redknapp only seemed to be met with disapproval from the fans who rarely go to WHL, or perhaps don't go at all.... The feelings for Redknapp may have been mixed from the keyboard warriors and football phone in lunatics, no doubt because he was old school English and didn't speak with a sexy foreign accent. However at WHL the regulars were right behind him, appreciating the good results and the football that the team played. IMO we were the best team in the league to watch at that time, our football was for the most part fast, attacking and extremely pleasing on the eye. We went at the opposition from the off, played with no less than FIVE proper attacking players and even then also got our fullbacks forward. We used our pace out wide and played some fantastic passing triangles, but at a serious pace. We could impose our game on just about any opposition and the tempo of the game was dictated entirely by us. I think Bill Nicholson and Danny Blanchflower would've been smiling down on us at that time as Redknapp's philosophy was pretty much aligned to that of those two greats. Yes the atmosphere for games such as Arsenal, Chelsea or Inter Milan at home were better than for Wigan or Wolves - but the crowd at WHL were positive and supportive because we always went out and took the game to the opposition. Under Redknapp for a while we kind of became many fans of other team's "second team".... Everywhere I went to watch Spurs away the opposition's fans would comment on how they loved to watch us and how they hoped we could displace one of the existing top four.

My thoughts are that the atmosphere actually gradually deteriorated under AVB. Seeing as AVB's results were no worse than Redknapp's (and perhaps on a points per game basis actually better than Redknapp's?) I think it was the performances as opposed to the results that people didn't like. Suddenly going to WHL wasn't nearly as entertaining, we didn't play with pace, verve and excitement but instead tried to contain the opposition, restrict their possession, keep the ball at all costs and slowly march forward. The actual content of the matches often became somewhat boring.... Which was fine against the Arsenals, Chelseas, etc as there is natural atmosphere in the ground due to the occasion, but when games against the lower ranking clubs became the same tactical affairs the crowd, naturally, were more muted.

Now I'm not going lie and say that Pochettino was my first choice. I was quite strong in my desire for us to bring De Boer to the club. That being said I wasn't at all displeased that we got Pochettino and he was easily my second choice ahead of any of the other candidates. One of the reasons for that was the exciting attacking football that he had Southampton playing. I accept that we are not going to win the league in the near future - perhaps not even in my lifetime, I also accept that it is an extremely remote possibility of us qualifying for the Champions League this season, next season or even the season after. Therefore what I want from the £1,200 a year I spend on my Season Ticket is to go the game and be entertained by my team having a right go at the opposition and playing a brand of football that makes me smile. Jol had us doing this, Redknapp had us doing this, Ramos had us doing this in his first season until he lost the dressing room, Santini never had us doing this, AVB rarely had us doing this. I hope that Pochettino can get us doing this, otherwise I fear the fans at WHL will ensure that he does not last at our club.

T'riffic post! As a season-ticket holder I fully agree with all said above.

I now sit Paxton Upper - I go by myself and rarely say much during the game - if everyone was like me it would be like a library so forgive me if the following sounds hypocritical......The Park Lane sells itself as the boisterous and most partizan section of the stadium and people from this area are usually the ones who claim that WHL is the best atmosphere in the country.

They're quite loud when we're winning or playing well against Chelsea, Arsenal etc but as non-existant and quiet as me at all other times.

Whenever United go behind, no matter against who or the situation there is the automatic chorus of "United" instantly. On Sunday everybody, players and crowd gave up as soon as West Brom scored yet in theory there was still plenty of time to at least equalise.

Looking back at some stats of games where we play the lesser teams at home over the last 10 years (118 games) when we have been leading at half-time we've gone on to win a massive 96% of games - i.e. if we're ahead at the interval its a near mathematical certainty that we'll win. If we're not its almost exactly 50-50 whether we win with a 20% chance we'll get beaten.

Under AVB, in 18 games (included in analysis) we were only ahead at half-time TWICE.

I'm sure this most correlate to the atmosphere and mood of the crowd - attack quickly and look to get an early goal and we'll probably win. The pensive, slow and nervous approach will create anxiety and decrease the chance of winning the game.

Superb post Finney.

I take much less interest nowadays because of the drab football ushered in by AVB, and it's depressing to realise that despite Pochettino's reputation for producing attractive, attacking football it's going to take much longer than we'd hoped for him to exorcise the poison that the miserable Portuguese injected into the psyche of our club.

=D>

I think we have a responsibility to ourselves and our kids to show that the world does not get to tell you how to 'be'…be yourself! Yes mate, in total agreement. And it's bled into football sadly.

Excellent post! I agree with everything, except when you called Lee Young Pyo "brilliant" ;)

OK, perhaps that was going a tad far. He was a good fullback though with an incredibly difficult job in the team due to our formation (that I don't think most supporters appreciated)

No in all seriousness, what you said about the atmosphere under Jol is spot on. And also what you said about it only being people who didn't visit WHL who weren't behind Redknapp, I never heard anyone call him "saggy" during in home games or give him the kind of abuse he gets from keyboard warriors.

we are actually (in full form) officially the 3rd loudest ground after sunderland and stoke

and we didn't "choose" Pochettino over lvg. lvg chose utd over us. Pochettino was deemed to be the next best choice.

We can all sound clever in hindsight, lets just see where Poch takes us.

Personally I want Baldini and possibly Levy out. They are responsible for our crop of players - not the manager

Agree with most of this. For me pochettino hasn't done or won anything of note, not yet. He may have potential but his chance to show it is this season.

One problem is the squad, Baldini's signings have not been up to scatch, again these guys need a bit more time. We will know by the end of the season.

Finally, if Levy's 9th(?) managerial choice isn't up to the task (all effectively sacked). How many more chances does he deserve? In some areas he does well but surely he has to see that it's too many and he is clearly getting it wrong.

As for the fans, yes we are to blame in part but it isn't significant next to the mismanagement.

Agree with most of this. For me pochettino hasn't done or won anything of note, not yet. He may have potential but his chance to show it is this season.

One problem is the squad, Baldini's signings have not been up to scatch, again these guys need a bit more time. We will know by the end of the season.

Finally, if Levy's 9th(?) managerial choice isn't up to the task (all effectively sacked). How many more chances does he deserve? In some areas he does well but surely he has to see that it's too many and he is clearly getting it wrong.

As for the fans, yes we are to blame in part but it isn't significant next to the mismanagement.

As many times as he likes if you listen to some fans.

As for Baldini, I don't agree with the structure in the first place but that's another discussion.

as long as we remain in and around our 'rightful' position of just behind the established CL clubs whilst continuing to make moves to improve that position that's enough for me - it won't always work out right but then sometimes it will - the important thing is we are always looking to improve our lot by making the most of what we have, and whether you think he has always got everything right i don't think anyone can seriously deny that the intention is there.

unless you have a bottomless pit of money, ownership is a long game. building ourselves up to the position we was in around 2009-2012 didn't start with the appointment of Redknapp it started way back when we appointed Arnesen and we took the view to signing players who will improve the longer they are here, The Champions League season and 11/12 was the culmination of years worth of work which had us in a position where we could punch above our weight - the years prior to that was hit and miss - some good times with Jol, a trophy with Ramos but also some very poor league runs and some mediocre players signed. what im getting at is AVB on the face of it may have been a failure, Baldini may be signing players that are hit and miss - but for us to have a crack at repeating the 'successes' of the Redknapp years we need to lay the foundations first, and this process will not always yield instant results.

unless you have a bottomless pit of money, ownership is a long game. building ourselves up to the position we was in around 2009-2012 didn't start with the appointment of Redknapp it started way back when we appointed Arnesen and we took the view to signing players who will improve the longer they are here, The Champions League season and 11/12 was the culmination of years worth of work which had us in a position where we could punch above our weight - the years prior to that was hit and miss - some good times with Jol, a trophy with Ramos but also some very poor league runs and some mediocre players signed. what im getting at is AVB on the face of it may have been a failure, Baldini may be signing players that are hit and miss - but for us to have a crack at repeating the 'successes' of the Redknapp years we need to lay the foundations first, and this process will not always yield instant results.

=D>

It all began on that fateful day at the emirates when we surrendered a 2-0 lead and finished one point behind arsenal (i'm referring to the first time btw). Since then we have gone backwards, losing Bale, 5-1 in the fa cup semi, appointing avb, sacking redknapp, then avb only to promote Sherwood, losing heavily to chelsea, city, liverpool, arsenal, investing the Bale money poorly etc. etc.

Now add the lack of excitement in most of our games last season, the snails pace we have adopted, the lack of ideas (very apparent last season and in 2 out of the 3 home games we've played this season), the sloppiness in our play and lack of real leadership. The lack of movement, effort, desire!

Our strikers are average at best, Lamela is showing some promise this season but what has happened to Eriksen? Then you have the defense! It all feels like it's a bit of a mess really. Last season I thought it was down to poor management and tactics but walking away from the lane on sunday i couldn't help thinking that it may well be this current crop of players who are the main problem.

I don't want to blame Poch but he played one up front on Sunday, something avb did a lot at home. Why give West Brom so much respect? I believe they came looking for a point on the weekend but sniffed blood after the first 20 minutes and grew in confidence!

As for the atmosphere, so what? Do people seriously believe that singing is going to solve the Tottenham Hotspur riddle where so many managers have failed? A better atmosphere will come if the team performs better. The team will perform better if they believe they can. I really hope Pochettino can instil this in the players otherwise I don't know where or who we can turn to!

as long as we remain in and around our 'rightful' position of just behind the established CL clubs whilst continuing to make moves to improve that position that's enough for me - it won't always work out right but then sometimes it will - the important thing is we are always looking to improve our lot by making the most of what we have, and whether you think he has always got everything right i don't think anyone can seriously deny that the intention is there.

All that has shown me is that we need a bottomless pit of money.

All that has shown me is that we need a bottomless pit of money.

i think the FFP rule has now put an end to any chance of that happening, so i wouldn't spend much time hoping to 'win' the lottery.

If we want to improve we need to go down the route we have been - now you may not think the people in charge are capable of succeeding with this approach, which is fair enough if you've got some good reasons as to why. but like it or not, it is the best chance a club of our standing has of being able to improve.

I don't want to blame Poch but he played one up front on Sunday, something avb did a lot at home. Why give West Brom so much respect? I believe they came looking for a point on the weekend but sniffed blood after the first 20 minutes and grew in confidence!
this was also something which Redknapp done throughout his final season, when we was possibly the best looking side in the league (for half the season) one upfront is not the problem

Back