• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Where did this all begin - are we to blame?

that's what i thought support was all about - we managed to do it back in the days of relegation battles and mid table obscurity

We did indeed, and again, no disagreement with the principle, but the reality is there was always a spark of life or passion or something at those times. Perryman, Klinsmann, Ginola, there was always someone out there connecting with the stadium whether through passion, pride or sheer skill. It's humanity mate. You'l always get more excited when surrounded by excitement than not...

Basically, some of the posts read like we are the only club who has bad home support, but most of the top 6 do when they player teams they really should be beating. It isn't unique to Spurs.

Does that have any bearing on whether the atmosphere at WHL can have a negtive impact on the team? And does it mean it's something we should not look to improve?

Two managers on the spin have said it effects the players - personally id be inclined to take that as a plea to get behind the team more rather than brush it off

Does that have any bearing on whether the atmosphere at WHL can have a negtive impact on the team? And does it mean it's something we should not look to improve?

Two managers on the spin have said it effects the players - personally id be inclined to take that as a plea to get behind the team more rather than brush it off

Somtimes I think you are paid to disagree with me :ross:

I was not brushing it off.

Will improving the atmosphere help the team? More than likely it will, but will still have to improve on the pitch.

We did indeed, and again, no disagreement with the principle, but the reality is there was always a spark of life or passion or something at those times. Perryman, Klinsmann, Ginola, there was always someone out there connecting with the stadium whether through passion, pride or sheer skill. It's humanity mate. You'l always get more excited when surrounded by excitement than not...

I agree with this. I think our squad is too bland.

Redknapp had a blend of characters in his squad. Whatever you may think of them, they are needed. Assou-Ekotto, Parker, Keane, Van der Vaart, Palacios before his brother died and he went into his shell. All big personalities that played with a lot of passion and confidence. I was hoping that Stambouli and Fazio would help bring that to the table but they haven't played yet.

that's what i thought support was all about - we managed to do it back in the days of relegation battles and mid table obscurity

No we didn't.... That is a case of "Nostalgia not being what it used to be".

I have been going to Spurs since 1978, going regularly since the mid to late 80s and almost every game since the mid 90s. Our crowd have always been pretty quick to jump on the team's back, loved a spacegoat (Chris Armstrong anyone?) but brilliant when given someone to get behind and something to cheer. I think even Gazza's biography talks about how the crowd was different at WHL compared to Saudi Sportswashing Machine.... Like how we needed the team to give us reason to cheer instead of cheering come what may.

On another note - brilliant post there by the way Steff. I think you have hit the tickle my balls with a feather - we don't currently have a single player that brings that 'I would bleed for this club' type of mentality, perhaps that is why I don't expect us to react well to adversity?

Somtimes I think you are paid to disagree with me :ross:

I was not brushing it off.

Will improving the atmosphere help the team? More than likely it will, but will still have to improve on the pitch.

They both feed each other.... If the players show passion and heart then so will the fans.... If the players just go through the motions (as I feel at least 5 or 6 were yesterday) then the fans are likely to follow suit.

I can be a miserable git when I can see the writing on the wall. I never boo, and never would, but I've been supporting long enough to be able to recognise one of those performances early on and the response is automatic. It's like dropping your motorcycle into first gear. Clunk.

The atmosphere was fantastic while Jol was here, even in defeat, and I feel in agreement with whoever it was who said the rot seemed to set in soon after he was given the push. The behavioural signals come from the top, and personally, I think that's where the roots of the sense of entitlement lie. Emotionally, like breeds like; it's a bit like parenting, and I suppose we must conclude ENIC wouldn't make model parents.

The prevailing culture at the club isn't one of joy any more. For me, it's one that reflects the grey corporatism of owners who, when presented with opportunities to sustain a proper feel-good atmosphere about the place have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot in that regard.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I think our squad is too bland.

Redknapp had a blend of characters in his squad. Whatever you may think of them, they are needed. Assou-Ekotto, Parker, Keane, Van der Vaart, Palacios before his brother died and he went into his shell. All big personalities that played with a lot of passion and confidence. I was hoping that Stambouli and Fazio would help bring that to the table but they haven't played yet.

One of the first things Redknapp did was bring in Palacios and bring back Keane (a move I thought was btw brave and vital at the time - he did his bit just by being there)…and yes, Harry didn't mind personalities and wanted leaders. It underscores my overriding disappointment with Redknapp, that had he kept his eye on the prize two seasons running and stopped blaming others, he'd have had a statue outside the ground because it was so nearly, nearly all there.

I can be a miserable git when I can see the writing on the wall. I never boo, and never would, but I've been supporting long enough to be able to recognise one of those performances early on and the response is automatic. It's like dropping your motorcycle into first gear. Clunk.

The atmosphere was fantastic while Jol was here, even in defeat, and I feel in agreement with whoever it was who said the rot seemed to set in soon after he was given the push. The behavioural signals come from the top, and personally, I think that's where the roots of the sense of entitlement lie. Emotionally, like breeds like; it's a bit like parenting, and I suppose we must conclude ENIC wouldn't make model parents.

The prevailing culture at the club isn't one of joy any more. For me, it's one that reflects the grey corporatism of owners who, when presented with opportunities to sustain a proper feel-good atmosphere about the place have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot in that regard.

I think, sadly, that life in general appears to have taken on those clothes. I mean, not in my life BUT when i look around, there's a lot of it about...

The atmosphere was fantastic while Jol was here, even in defeat, and I feel in agreement with whoever it was who said the rot seemed to set in soon after he was given the push. The behavioural signals come from the top, and personally, I think that's where the roots of the sense of entitlement lie.

Yes the message from ENIC is that not being in the top 4 is a huge failure- it is bound to rub off on us.

I guess it all comes down to expectations, do we expect to be top 4 this season? I don't, which means we will lose games from time to time. Most of these players have had 3 (some 4) managers in a short space of time with completely different methodology's - The beginning with redknapp was counter attack with pace, then AVB where most of our players were signed for which was a slow patient build from the back and stifle opponents, then TS which was something but not sure what and now a high pressing game with fluid movement across the front. That's 4 completely different styles in just over 2yrs. Of course this means it will take time, we will lose games where we look crap and some games it will click and we will think it has turned a corner.

Personally I will take top 10 this season, top 6 next and start regularly challenging top 4 after that - Time is what is needed, and something as fans and boardroom it seems are reluctant to give. I hate to use the scousers as an example, but they looked awful in 1.5 seasons of Rodgers, then it clicked. Are we patient enough to still cheer on the team for the times it doesn't click? It's as bad as every game we concede someone "has" to be at fault and analysed, when sometimes its just a good goal and no-one is at fault but passion takes over and a spacegoat must be found!

we are actually (in full form) officially the 3rd loudest ground after sunderland and stoke

and we didn't "choose" Pochettino over lvg. lvg chose utd over us. Pochettino was deemed to be the next best choice.
Rafa was never an option due to the budget he would probably want and it seems we are going down the Wenger route of just keep things ticking over till the new stadium
so it was down to Pochettino and FDB and Levy went for the one with Premiership experience.

There is no league like the premiership due to the tempo and less time you have on the ball. You can look good in spain and italy and still fail here. If LVG needs all that money and still can't get it right with UTD then with our squad where would be right now? Same with FDB, his possession football would be in for a rude awakening.

We can all sound clever in hindsight, lets just see where Poch takes us.

Personally I want Baldini and possibly Levy out. They are responsible for our crop of players - not the manager

Last edited:
To me it began with Redknapp's appointment. At the time he was both an unpopular figure and a signal of reduction (any port in a storm was the tag at the time).

He may have won some round over time, but I don't think we've ever been close to united around a manager since.

I do think Poch will get there actually - principally because he's an excellent coach, a bit of an intellectual and a #decentbloke, which kind of ticks everyone's box.

In your ,IMO, biased opinion that is

Back