• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What went wrong today?

More an attitude problem for me - played at 50%, thought we'd won the game before it began. Hopefully this will be the ultimate kick up the back side and we don't treat games like this again.

Yep. Exactly this.

...and I put Dawson in my ff on the back of our "great defensive record" :(

This is going to be interesting AVB made to look a mug by Sam, £56mill of AVB players cannot make the starting eleven, Paulie and Sandro would be the middle two for me, also we have missed Rose terribly down the lefthand side, no way should Defoe start before Soldado, this is where we see if AVB is the real deal, we never looked like scoring today but we must remember we are a work in progress, I thought the hammers were excellent.

I'd like to see all three - Sandro Paulinho and Dembele on when we need it. Did Dembele play midweek?

I'd also like to see us pass and move, getting closer to each other working the ball through a tight defence. This would suit Eriksen who didn't get a sniff.

Funking infuriating. The most important question: can we learn from this and come back better?

Over to you AVB.

No-one AVB intended to start against West Ham should have even travelled to that poxy little potato field in Russia. His Europa League obsession cost us lost year and it has already cost us this year.

Levy needs to have a word and explain what the priorities is.

I hate that ****** competition,

Defoe starting - especially as he actually played midweek - was an even bigger mistake.

I can see AVB's logic in that, actually. Win the first four games in the group, secure qualification, and then send out the kids for the last two. I'm not begrudging him that. I am, however, begrudging him his tactical cluelessness today.

Where do I start?

Dembele gave the ball away at will. Was a massive fan of his last season, but he offers almost zero creativity.

Dawson with his long diagonal balls, we ain't Stoke.

Eriksen weren't at it today.

Defoe isn't good enough, we've known it for years regardless of today so I'm not pinning it on him.

West Ham were bang up for it today.

Townsend was literally the only upside.

we need some more players :lol:

fcuk that was dire

its been coming though. Our lack of goals means if we go behind we are well and truly fcuked....Arsanal and the spammers, we had no answer

AVB needs to get his head out of his ar$e and sort the forward play out. He has had last season and up to now this season. Fcuks sake

More an attitude problem for me - played at 50%, thought we'd won the game before it began. Hopefully this will be the ultimate kick up the back side and we don't treat games like this again.

how many times has that been said before though

its all down to avb. 0-3 loss at home is not acceptable after our level of spending.
tactics, starting 11, training... back to the drawing board for the gaffer and his support staff.

now that the cat is out of the bag we'll see more teams daring to have a go at us and punish up for our lack of teeth up front.
time to mix it up and around, andre...

We lack creativity and are not scoring enough goals, can't see how Sandro is the answer.

We do not create enough chances, Soldado and Defoe are similar in that they need them, Defoe actually a little less so as he can score from nothing much.

Lamela must be given a chance to start and a chance to fail.

AVB did nothing to combat them dominating the midfield, they had people chasing every ball forward, we were outnumbered several times.

Should have taken our chances, thought Erikssen looked rather lazy today, I think Holtby deserves a start in the league soon. Dembele slowed our attacks down too often.

Townsend was good, today was a dose of reality and a kick up the ****, us going into these matches thinking all we have to do is show up to win is nothing new.

We lack creativity and are not scoring enough goals, can't see how Sandro is the answer.

We do not create enough chances, Soldado and Defoe are similar in that they need them, Defoe actually a little less so as he can score from nothing much.

Lamela must be given a chance to start and a chance to fail.

Sandro could be the answer not only because he carries the ball forward very well but because he shores things up and adds a ton of extra intensity to the team. That can prevent the other team from scoring and on a day like today could have made it a disappointing 0-0.

As good as they were, the game hinged on that Defoe 1 on 1. If he scores that, we get out of jail and of course it's not a given we would have won, it would have given us a lift knowing we weren't even playing well and still winning.

Sandro could be the answer not only because he carries the ball forward very well but because he shores things up and adds a ton of extra intensity to the team. That can prevent the other team from scoring and on a day like today could have made it a disappointing 0-0.

Sandro also doesn't run in to opposition players, whilst dribbling the ball.

I have never liked playing two defensive midfielders, particularly when one of them is Dembele, who I do not rate. No creativity at all. teams realise that if they pack the defense we have no one who play a ball in to the forwards.

**** me it took years but we finally agree on something, i do not rate dembele either. Not sure if he did anything in the last 12 minutes because we left early.

Dembele rarely if ever does a defence splitting pass or even the second assist, he holds of two players when he looks like he is losing the ball then passes it to someone sideways or backwards. So much reminds me of jenas it is unreal.

Yep yoour right we should not be playing two defensive midfielders at home against a poor side. The only player who looks in anyway creative is holtby, i have been impressed with his passing and spotting of a player, i would play 4-4-2 with holtby alongside sandro in the middle.

Got to say and have been saying for awhile we play some boring football under avb. Was at the game today and honestly im not enjoying the games as much as under redknapp and jol, we might not have been any higher up the league wth those 2 but we do now have better players, but it was a hell of a lot more interesting watching us play.

No-one AVB intended to start against West Ham should have even travelled to that poxy little potato field in Russia. His Europa League obsession cost us lost year and it has already cost us this year.

Levy needs to have a word and explain what the priorities is.

I hate that ****** competition,

Defoe starting - especially as he actually played midweek - was an even bigger mistake.

yep agree, also with often dropped points towards the end of last season because of the europa league(guess the games were tougher at the point) part of me wonders with so many internationals if there mind is elsewhere with the international break coming up.

Defoe got his chance (both in starting a league game and the opportunity to score) and choked big-time. I have no doubt that if he'd have put away his chance at the start of the second half, we'd have won the game.

Vertonghen had a horrible game -- he seems to go on a run of good games that make me think he's settled in and top class, then throws in a performance that is really weak. And it normally involves bread and butter defending that's not being done properly. He's a real enigma of a player for me, there's just something about him that's not entirely convincing. I think he's a good player, there's just this nagging feeling that something is off and I can never be 100% confident in his defending.

Paulinho and Dembele were both terrible. This might turn out to be a blessing in disguise if it means Sandro reclaims his place as a first-choice for league games.

A few other things were wrong, we have been getting away with Naughton at left-back with Sig infront -- not today. We needed a left-flank in attack and we didn't have one. IMO, we have to have a least 1 left-footer on the left side to give us some width. And even more so when Naughton is limited going forwards (although he is a bit better at it on the right).

This. So important, we are so lethargic at times. We need to start quicker, a faster tempo, especially in a derby game at home. We must be the only team who plays to quieten our own crowd! Good tactic away from home, but at home we need to turn up the volume, and that starts with the players upping the tempo, crashing in with a few tackles and making things happen, rather than allowing the clock to tick away with too many sideways passes.

Why the **** did we let Ekotto go on loan? Every season we do something brainless like this. Whether he is suited to our style of play now is a debate for another day but he's ten times better than Naughton.

I'm trying not to get too carried away as it's still early in the season and the side needs time to fully click, but we need to get a move on. 70 points will be minimum the to get top 4.

Dembele is going to have to make way for Sandro IMO. We bought Paulinho because we lack goals from midfield. It's one thing that he can't make the final pass, but most of the time he doesn't even see it. There was one occasion in the first half when he could have slipped Defoe through but choose to play the ball to whoever was on the wing.

I am still unconvinced about AVB when it comes to tactics. Last season wasn't really his fault as we didn't get Moutinho so we were sorely lacking in creativity. We relied on Bale's brilliance to win us games. But I've seen us play poorly at home under AVB at times and more often than not, if we start off bad, we rarely improve and we usually draw or get beat. He doesn't seem to know how to stop the other team from dominating.

Back