• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What went wrong today?

Yea, great debut but not really done much since, (created the Chelsea goal I guess). Think he'll do well though, but may be good if he gets a reality check and holtby starts v villa.

i dont not agree with the need to constantly cut inside. The space is congested, the opposition have no problems defending against it, and quite frankly our attacking play is dull, uninspiring.

Il say it now that I appreciate that we win games under AVB and we are challenging the top 4, but the way we are doing it, the football in the final 3rd is very average

we dont score enough goals, we dont play in enough balls into the area for anyone to got on the end of. We shall see where this plan takes us. Having high passing percentages and high shots on goal percentages is all well and good, but when the passes are mainly in defensive and middle of the pitch areas, and when the majority of the shots are from outside of the area, I think in time this way of playing will prove to be our downfall.

Imo, i think we need to change. What im suggesting is to try something different. It might not work, but maybe it will. We wont know if we dont try.

I agree with much of what you and braineclipse are saying,BUT we could change this and that and we could easily end up with little progress. The real progress needs to be made on familiarity, understanding, pattern of play and a sixth sense of what each other is about to do . Getting on the same page, wavelength call it whatever but as soon as we begin to achieve this then the starting positions (especially of the 3 behind the forward) will be of little importance (see oscar/hazard/mata and sometimes moses at there best last year, it's just one bunch of fluid players, that is why it's so bizarre that mourinho wanted to break that up) (Also Arsenal will shift Cazorla around for Ozil and he'll still contribute his usual)

Regarding sunday.....sitting in the south stand upper, the obvious narrowness (pointed out by indian) was so clear to see, the inverted wide men just coming in to create nothing more than more traffic (sometimes the whole game squeezed to well inside the penalty box lines.) At these moment intricate play is required. None was provided.

Obviously if the wide men are inverting then the FB need to provide the width and quite clearly Naughton is not going (wanting?) to do this. He defends fairly well so not all bad and the alternative is verts there (only when KB is fit or Vlad ready) otherwise it's Fryers. Writing that and knowing BAE is at QPR just feels stupid. For Naughtons benefit he needs games at RB and although Walker looks like he loves playing (pretty poor sunday though), i think he would benefit from missing the cup games.

It was a real throwback game, where everyone from the start appeared to lack desire and drive. The funny thing is when we have that desire and drive (hounding the ball high up the pitch) we get results and generally more space to play in. Being pedestrian with sideways/backwards back and forth passing just gives the oppo time to fix there shape and face you up. As soon as this was noticed then Holtby should have been introduced. Regardless of whether he is better than this player or that he is the king at the club for drive, energy and enthusiasm. Maybe a little would have rubbed off?

Finally Verts/Daws pace is a worry when exposed, and needless to say WHam are not going to be the best counter-attacking team we face.

Hopefully just a weird blip (i think the scoreline flattered them) as against Norwich, Cardiff, Chelsea (45mins), Villa we really looked to be heading in the right direction.

I want to see this team when we line up against Villa:

Lloris

Walker Dawson Vertonghen Rose (Vertonghen at left back if Rose unfit)

Sandro Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Townsend

Soldado

I can't believe people are saying Eriksen hasn't done anything since his debut, he was excellent in the first half against Chelsea and we barely got him the ball on Sunday. I hope he isn't the next VDV i.e. taken off after 70 minutes every game if we're not winning.

Paulinho was having a poor game too losing the ball too easily and not really effective going forwards. and eriksen, well he needs time to get used to the varied

Playing styles and physicality of the premiere league. i think it'll take him a year to find his feet and to put on some pounds. Meanwhile we need a Chadli to add some heft to the attack.

Ny guess is that avb always understood that both daws and verts are not the best pairing and hence the acquisition of Chiriches, and the want to start Kaboul in games. That solo dribble through the centre reminds me of the one fabregas scored immediately after we restarted... was it dawson at the back then?

Lloris

Sandro Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Townsend

Soldado

I can't believe people are saying Eriksen hasn't done anything since his debut, he was excellent in the first half against Chelsea and we barely got him the ball on Sunday. I hope he isn't the next VDV i.e. taken off after 70 minutes every game if we're not winning.

Yea I wasn't intending to criticize eriksen, I know that's how it came across, was more saying it will take him time to settle and whilst we have a keen, eager and seemingly in form Holtby we may as well use him. Eriksen could be excellant for the last 20 mins at Villa park when the games stretched.

We have the squad and if a few changes aren't made after the shambolic last 30 at the weekend, then you could argue it sends the wrong signal to the players. I.e. 1st XI picks itself and that below par performances won't get punished with the axe.

I'm more playing devils advocate here really.

Lloris

Sandro Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Townsend

Soldado

I would like to this too. But if Paulie is judged too knackered after his lengthy international trips, I would like to see Holtby here. I think he deserves a place instead of Dembele, who I think has been disappointing this season and was deemed so tired by Belgium that they let him sit out their training and devised a regime just for him. He needs to rediscover his mojo.

I would like to this too. But if Paulie is judged too knackered after his lengthy international trips, I would like to see Holtby here. I think he deserves a place instead of Dembele, who I think has been disappointing this season and was deemed so tired by Belgium that they let him sit out their training and devised a regime just for him. He needs to rediscover his mojo.

Dembele since the first 2 games has been one of our best players this season in my view. I guess people have differing views because of their expectancy of the role the player takes.

Lloris

Sandro Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Townsend

Soldado

Paulinho and Lamela will travelled way to much to start. Dembele has a sprained ankle. I'd go with

Lloris

Walker Dawson Chiriches Vertonghen

Holtby Sandro Eriksen

Townsend Soldado Chadli

Last edited:

Lloris

Sandro Paulinho

Lamela Eriksen Townsend

Soldado

This is the team I would like to see too. I think it's especially important that Sandro starts in the league from now on.

not sure about starting townsend on the left

yes its good to stretch opposition but siggy is really going places on the flank coming in.

we'd essentially be relying on an unproven loooong term project to provide most of the goal threat and taking away alot of goal threat opportunities from someone that is proven to be effective in this league.

plus we cant rely on solly to score bags of goals, we need people that can find the net really

I would drop Dawson, and take the captaincy from him.

Give the armband to Sandro or Hugo.

That result has to be punished.

Because the performance smacks of complacency. Shipping three goals in one half when your signature is still drying on a 3 year contract extension could be unfortunate, but it could be something else.

Because the performance smacks of complacency. Shipping three goals in one half when your signature is still drying on a 3 year contract extension could be unfortunate, but it could be something else.

I don't think he's ever complacent, I just think that these are the risks with Daws and we got punished. Marking fror the first goal was shocking!

Paulinho and Lamela will travelled way to much to start. Dembele has a sprained ankle. I'd go with

Lloris

Walker Dawson Chiriches Vertonghen

Holtby Sandro Eriksen

Townsend Soldado Chadli

I didn't take the international breaks into account tbh. I wouldn't be against Holtby starting, just not instead of Eriksen.

I want Sandro to start the league games from now and obviously form permitting.

Naughton is not good enough at left back so if Rose isn't fit I'd also like to see Chiriches starting in central defense and Vertonghen shifted over to LB.

Back