• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What was your lowest point as a Spurs fan?

Depressing thought, but what ratio of depressing to joyful moments do you reckon you've experienced as a Spurs fan? I reckon the depressing outweigh joyful at least 4:1.

Then again, I suppose it just makes those moments of success seem even better.

It amuses me when people say it must be boring to be a United fan, I imagine it must be fudging brilliant to be winning and challenging for every major honour season in season out. I wouldn't get bored if Spurs did it.

It amuses me when people say it must be boring to be a United fan, I imagine it must be fudging brilliant to be winning and challenging for every major honour season in season out. I wouldn't get bored if Spurs did it.

Obviously, but their sense of entitlement is not something I'd want. Every game is just another win. They only get remotely excited when they eventually win a trophy.

I remember being in a pub for the 2009 League Cup final. A bunch of us Spurs fans stayed till they closed, getting wasted. Every single United fan left at the final whistle.

Obviously, but their sense of entitlement is not something I'd want. Every game is just another win. They only get remotely excited when they eventually win a trophy.

I remember being in a pub for the 2009 League Cup final. A bunch of us Spurs fans stayed till they closed, getting wasted. Every single United fan left at the final whistle.

That entitlement comes with winning I guess. We have a pop at scum fans for being arrogant, but we'd probably be the same if we had sustained periods of success. My dad grew up in a time when Spurs won trophies regularly so I suppose it made him that much more critical of our teams in recent times. I'd like to think I'd still be humble if we became a top team.

For me it has to be Chelsea winning the Champions League. I can't remember a worse moment in all my life.

Didn't really bother me too much, I just expected it to happen. But losing away to Southampton in the FA Cup under Hoddle, now that tore at my soul, as did losing to Fulham at home under Hoddle. (It's the hope that kills you!). As did reading that our Chairman was trying to recruit a new (Spanish) manager, behind Martin Jol's back. As did going behind to Young Boys!

It may not make a manager better when he has an emotional connection to the club, after all Rednap got us the CL without ever seeing himself as a spurs man, but as a fan it makes so much difference. And when someone we take to heart fails, or is shafted, it really hurts. Almost as bad as losing the CC to Blackburn, was reading the Sunday Times the next day: certain journalists could not contain their venom for Hoddle. Fortunately I can no longer remember their names but I vowed that if I ever encountered one in particular, I would spit in his face close up and full on, I was so outraged at what he wrote. I have never spat at anyone in my life, disgusting thing to do, but that low-life journalist would have deserved it! Kicking someone when they are down, disgraceful.

I disagree entirely. For matches like tonight yeah it must be great, but as a poster has put a few posts down, winning the likes of the League cup means nothing to them, whereas when we won it in 2008 I was buzzing for weeks.

I honestly honestly wouldn't wanna support a team who win something every year. I just think the thrill has got to go at some point.

I block out as much of the bad stuff as I can. Reading this thread has got to be one of the most depressing things I've done lately.

I disagree entirely. For matches like tonight yeah it must be great, but as a poster has put a few posts down, winning the likes of the League cup means nothing to them, whereas when we won it in 2008 I was buzzing for weeks.

I honestly honestly wouldn't wanna support a team who win something every year. I just think the thrill has got to go at some point.

Meh, when we were in the CL, we had matches like tonight... :p

I can see both points of view. Personally, I'd rather Spurs had a chance of winning something each year than not.

I can remember supporting Spurs 10 years ago and supporting them now and it's better now. Supporting Spurs 10 years ago was like supporting England in a world cup is now...

Being midtable was nice because a loss didn't come with stress, it didn't feel like the end of the world.... Don't get me wrong, it still sucked, but losing to a random team was far less likely to cost 50 million, reduce the level of new signings from "almost World Class" to "top 6 class", etc. Losing to Arsenal was about as bad as it got in the league, ignoring league positions (and when we were clear of relegation)... Cup losses sucked but we had no real expectations... At least this was before Arsenal's youth team with a few young first teamers could tear up top 4 first teams.... It was a horrible time because Arsenal were doing so well.

It was nice to win, even with low low low low stakes. Good things were bonuses, there was much less heartwrenching agony. (As opposed to the agony of missing out on the CL.)

Compare that to now, dropping points is horrible... Wins are expected.... There are few fixtures that have that underdog feeling which makes wins all the more sweet. (Old Trafford was one.) It's CL or bust, every referee that costs us points is the devil...

But it's all about the glory. The CL run we had was awesome, our team is awesome... The excitement about the club is much higher than it was... It's nice not being brick anymore. :p It's nice to have the hope of winning things.

As for winning things each year getting boring.... No, I don't think so. A single league title would mean more to us than United fans, but look at United fighting City for the league, trying to stop their rivals and trying to become even more decorated... I think they'll appreciate the league a whole lot this year.

The thing I miss the most about supporting spurs is being the minnow. If we played Barca or Real Madrid I'd have that feeling, I guess.... But it's like with the Spanish league Real Madrid and Barca expect to win every game vs the bottom 15 teams in that league (a few are tricky, but that's like United playing Stoke or something), there are some competative games they'd still expect to win and then there are Classicos which they still hope to win/expect to win but know they are playing a team on their level. For their fans, I think the only way they'd get the joy of being a minnow and winning is by watching their rivals play and supporting the poor bastards that are likely to lose 8-0.

I think every match means more to United fans than Sunderland fans, even if it's more relief when they win individual games than joy. Obviously a league cup would mean more to Sunderland fans, but look at us and the Europa league... That's a huge cup... Most people would say it's the 3rd biggest we could win. League and CL are the biggest, obviously, but the Europa League should be ahead of the F.A cup and League cup.... But not every fan cares about the Europa League... I'm not saying they wouldn't care about it at all if we won, but we're in danger of not caring about the F.A Cup, League Cup, Europa League, etc without actually winning something each year. :p

They would still enjoy winning the league cup, but obviously the league, Champions League and FA Cup will always be more important. You can't tell me they don't enjoy adding another trophy to their cabinet. How good would it be if Spurs were actually competing for the title and Champions League every season! I know I'd take that over the odd cup win every 10 years. From speaking to United fans, the winning just breeds hunger to keep on winning. I want CL qualification every season now, I'm not content with doing it once and having the chance to play the likes of Real Madrid once in a lifetime.

I personally would love nothing more than to see Spurs winning trophy after trophy whilst our rivals all go potless and have mediocre seasons.

On pitch, losing to Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the semi. Something broke that day

Off pitch, I found the Stratford saga the most offensive and depressing point of my 20 Spurs following years. All that glory sold, all the memories, foundations like a 130 year old oak tree could have been demolished for some bottom line in a dusty portacabin somewhere.

Still wont forget some of the arguments as long as I live.

I don't think many United fans really appreciate their own successes. How can they when so much is taken for granted?

However, not one of their 19 league titles will mean as much to them as City's did to them last year. The most glorious last minute title decider ever, trumping even Michael Thomas.

I don't think many United fans really appreciate their own successes. How can they when so much is taken for granted?

However, not one of their 19 league titles will mean as much to them as City's did to them last year. The most glorious last minute title decider ever, trumping even Michael Thomas.

You obviously didn't see how mental the United fans went behind the goal at Eastlands this season when they snatched a win in injury time.

I've waited ome before responding as I have MANY moments of individual hurt and pain...but the biggest overall was Glenn's failure as manager. When I walked out of Stamford Bridge after a 4-2 defeat right before he went (the 1-3 reversal at home to Soton was the official death knell), I looked at my mate and we both spent an hour discussing the tragedy that was his then-to-be departure. It hurt. I desperately wanted him to succeed.
For me he was Spurs through and through. Forget his flirtation with chavski and all the other tinpots, he was ours. Born and bred. And he was, IMHO, a coach who was probably a decade ahead of his time.

Yeah, I was really really sad. Rumours abounded that Jamie R had been to complain to Levy on behalf of the senior players about Hoddle's management, and the dressing room stopped playing for him. As for what that leech Pleat was rumored to have done behind Hoddle's back, well, let's just say it didn't sound helpful.

I always dreamt we would win trophies with Glenn as our manager...one dream died when he got dismissed.

I've waited ome before responding as I have MANY moments of individual hurt and pain...but the biggest overall was Glenn's failure as manager. When I walked out of Stamford Bridge after a 4-2 defeat right before he went (the 1-3 reversal at home to Soton was the official death knell), I looked at my mate and we both spent an hour discussing the tragedy that was his then-to-be departure. It hurt. I desperately wanted him to succeed.
For me he was Spurs through and through. Forget his flirtation with chavski and all the other tinpots, he was ours. Born and bred. And he was, IMHO, a coach who was probably a decade ahead of his time.

Yeah, I was really really sad. Rumours abounded that Jamie R had been to complain to Levy on behalf of the senior players about Hoddle's management, and the dressing room stopped playing for him. As for what that leech Pleat was rumored to have done behind Hoddle's back, well, let's just say it didn't sound helpful.

I always dreamt we would win trophies with Glenn as our manager...one dream died when he got dismissed.

To be fair though, Pleat may have been looking out for the club and you can't say he was wrong in thinking Hoddle had to go. We have pushed on a lot since he left and it was obvious Hoddle had lost the dressing room.

Still I wouldn't conpletely blame Hoddle though, I think his poor man management was down to him knowing his ideas and methods were good but he was trying to teach them to a bunch of idiots. He wouldn't be the first person to get frustrated when he knows he's right but had a group of older players set in their ways refusing to listen.

I blame Friedel for his hat trick of saves in the cup final for Hoddle's demise. World class keeper.

No doubt we could have kicked on if we had won in Cardiff. Still frustrates me!

Losing to Coventry in the 1987 Cup Final. Gutted. And I was going to Warwick Uni, just outside Coventry. Typical Spurs.

A Coventry final win would have given us our 8th FA Cup wouldn't it have? I remember that we were equal with Villa (7 FA Cups) and this would have meant we'd won the most? That part hurt too.

Back