• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is wrong with our defence?

We've conceded 14 in our last 11 league games. Could be better but it's not terrible.

We had a much better defensive record earlier in the season. After Arsenal away we had 5 clean sheets in the next 9 and only conceded 7 in 13 games.

Maybe I am the only person interested as to why the difference recently. It is not down to Brad being in goal for the EL games.

Well we've played Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Swansea, West Brom and West Ham in that time, eight of the current top 10. You're bound to concede more against the better sides. Two of those were horrific individual mistakes against Liverpool, can't really legislate for those. Two or three were from corners which I imagine we'll have worked on since, one was a Bale own goal. Like I said, we could be doing better in that department but we're not doing terribly.

What do you think is more likely to give us more points: Winning 4-1 instead of 2-1 or keeping more clean sheets?

Haha, this is easily either the stupidest or most manipulative comment I've ever read on any forum ever. Win 4-1 instead of 2-1 i.e. doesn't matter or keep clean sheets. Something specific against something broad. You could also say, what's better, drawing 0-0 instead of 2-2, or scoring loads of goals

A better question but equally mundane and unrevealing would be what's better to score loads of goals or keep clean sheets. Which is the whole point of the thread.

Haha, this is easily either the stupidest or most manipulative comment I've ever read on any forum ever. Win 4-1 instead of 2-1 i.e. doesn't matter or keep clean sheets. Something specific against something broad. You could also say, what's better, drawing 0-0 instead of 2-2, or scoring loads of goals

A better question but equally mundane and unrevealing would be what's better to score loads of goals or keep clean sheets. Which is the whole point of the thread.

Do we want a 10-8 goals difference over 5 games winning one game 10 nil and losing the other 4 games 2-0?

2 goals scored in every game should mean we win all 5 games...but not with a leaky defence.

Another two goals conceded today. Ignoring the circumstances which caused the goals, we are leaky at the back.

Wigan's goals at home:

0 Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Man United
1 Fulham, Norwich, West Brom
2 Everton, QPR, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Ham
3 Reading

tottenhamgoals.jpg

Game 22, the 0-0 with QPR, was the one where we lost Sandro.

Jordan, what does your graph show? Nothing I think.

Since when do Spurs not put a man on either post for corners? Has it been happening for long, it is craziness and just asking for every corner to be nutted in.

It is common for all teams to concede a header at various corners during a game... with nobody on the posts they are almost guaranteed to score at some point in 90 minutes.

We seemed to be improving at one point. In December we only conceded 4 goals in 6 league games, 2 of those goals were Everton away. In the 12 games since Sandro's injury we've only had one clean sheet (Away to West Brom. Game 33 is Chelsea, not played yet). We are averaging 1.76 goals scored, but that's not going to help us if we always concede.

We do seem to have an alarmingly high amount of individual errors. I don't remember exactly what happened, but Dawson completely missed with what he was doing at one point today and we were lucky they didn't score.

It seems that since we've actually started to stick with a first choice CB pairing we've been conceding goals galore. When AVB kept chopping and changing the CB's week after week, it seemed we somehow looked more solid defensively and conceded less.

Daws got completely skinned by Kone and was very lucky.

Their goals were pretty good, always avoidable but Verts was soundly beaten, even a man on the post only may have got something on it.

The second was avoidable in the build up, Naughton unlucky with what was a great first touch by Mcmanaman and then a fantastic finish.

I still think we chop and change the back five far too much. Plus the quality has gone down since King and Woody. Benny may not be the best LB in the world, but we know what we get from him. Naughton is a step down in that position, however at RB he seems better suited defensively, but not as dangerous as walker forraying forward. Verts hasn't convinced at CD, we need Kaboom back. Also, Sandro does a far better job screening in front of the back four than Parker IMO.

I still think we chop and change the back five far too much. Plus the quality has gone down since King and Woody. Benny may not be the best LB in the world, but we know what we get from him. Naughton is a step down in that position, however at RB he seems better suited defensively, but not as dangerous as walker forraying forward. Verts hasn't convinced at CD, we need Kaboom back. Also, Sandro does a far better job screening in front of the back four than Parker IMO.

This. We look a mess at the back. No organization therefore no accountability. Simple things to do like keeping BAE at LB and asking Parker to protect the back four while Sandro and Kaboul are away would provide a stable base from which we could work out our issues.

Daws got completely skinned by Kone and was very lucky.

Their goals were pretty good, always avoidable but Verts was soundly beaten, even a man on the post only may have got something on it.

The second was avoidable in the build up, Naughton unlucky with what was a great first touch by Mcmanaman and then a fantastic finish.

Naughton was naive or too casual. Sandro or Dawson would have thrown down their body in the line of fire to narrow the angle and put pressure on the strike at least. Granted it was a good first touch, but he was still given too much space and time overall to line up his shot.

The corner was all Verts, too casual, too lazy, though I do want o who Daws was actually marking?
Second one infuriated me as Holtby just let the passer go, has to put in a challenge and then we needed someone to block...

The corner was all Verts, too casual, too lazy, though I do want o who Daws was actually marking?
Second one infuriated me as Holtby just let the passer go, has to put in a challenge and then we needed someone to block...

The second was infuriating because we first lost possession with a sloppy Walker pass and from then on stood off Wigan as they played the ball around until it got to McManaman.

Back