• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is wrong with our defence?

onlyme

Banned
We have no problems scoring goals. 11 in our last 5 games. Ade is in form and Defoe scored in the last game. Dempsey and Sigg are scoring too.
But we have kept only one clean sheet in our last 14 games and conceded 16 goals in our last 8 games.

Why is this? Obviously individual errors have cost us goals but is our system wrong or are our defenders not good enough?

We have no problems scoring goals. 11 in our last 5 games. Ade is in form and Defoe scored in the last game. Dempsey and Sigg are scoring too.
But we have kept only one clean sheet in our last 14 games and conceded 16 goals in our last 8 games.

Why is this? Obviously individual errors have cost us goals but is our system wrong or are our defenders not good enough?

Wha?

- Changing the defence around
Playing Naughton at left back some games, playing Vertonghen left back some games meaning Dawson and Caulker who haven't played many games together this season, playing Ekotto at left back despite being our strongest full back.

- No Sandro
Beast in the middle of the field, we looked at our best when he and Dembele were partnering eachother, Parker has been the shadow of his former self and I feel we've missed Sandros presence in the side.

- Parker and Dembele not working well together in the middle of the park, being caught out.
Once again like above, the two don't work the best, certainly not on the level of Dembele/Sandro and I feel both are still getting to know eachother, which isn't good enough after 3 and a half months. At times it's Parker finding himself furthest up field when it should be him guarding our defence.

- Silly errors
This happens though, we are human and humans make mistakes but too many. Walkers pass against Liverpool, Lloris not getting proper connection on the ball, Defoe against Liverpool, Dawson touch that gets Vertonghen sent off etc.

First of all: No more mentioning of strikers in this thread. We have other threads to moan about that.

On topic: I believe I saw a stat the other day that we were the team in the league that allowed our opponents the fewest shots on goal, yet we have only managed 7 clean sheets (3 at home, 4 away) from 33 league games.

Ade has scored 3 goals in our last few games. Don't listen to people who don't watch games just look at the facts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/results

Anyway this thread is about the defence.Any comment?

Lols.

I've watched the games and he's been woeful. An on form Ade would have closer to 20 goals this year not 6. We create too many chances to have just 6 goals. Its laughable really

and as for the defence, I honestly think a lot of it has to do with Sandro being injured.

edit: sorry for the Ade comments Mumorn, I couldn't resist

Last edited:
We have indeed allowed our opponents the lowest amount of shots on goal with an average of 9.9 per game.

We have the 5th highest number of tackles and 4th highest number of interceptions. We have an average of 51.9 % possession with a high pass success rate. We don't give away any more fouls than other teams.

We have only managed 7 clean sheets in the league, with 5 more in the cups. We have failed to score only 6 times in 49 games.

Clean sheets:

League: Aston Villa (H), Fulham (A), Swansea (H), Stoke (H), Aston Villa (A), QPR (A), West Brom (A)

Cups: Carlisle (A), Coventry (H), Lazio (H), Lazio (A), Inter (H)

Aside from the last game which is hopefully the catalyst for a strong finish to the season, I would say our defence has been fine this season considering injuries and the bedding in of a new keeper/loss of Ledders.

We have good options at CB, BAE, Naughton, Rose and the future England right back. Plus one of the best keepers in Europe.

Up front however...

We have indeed allowed our opponents the lowest amount of shots on goal with an average of 9.9 per game.

We have the 5th highest number of tackles and 4th highest number of interceptions. We have an average of 51.9 % possession with a high pass success rate. We don't give away any more fouls than other teams.

We have only managed 7 clean sheets in the league, with 5 more in the cups. We have failed to score only 6 times in 49 games.

Clean sheets:

League: Aston Villa (H), Fulham (A), Swansea (H), Stoke (H), Aston Villa (A), QPR (A), West Brom (A)

Cups: Carlisle (A), Coventry (H), Lazio (H), Lazio (A), Inter (H)

We conceded 2 goals at Everton where if the balls through were out by inches there was no score and at Liverpool 2 ludicrous passes but it was stupid decison making by 2 experienced players.
Is it the players or the system or what?

Aside from the last game which is hopefully the catalyst for a strong finish to the season, I would say our defence has been fine this season considering injuries and the bedding in of a new keeper/loss of Ledders.

We have good options at CB, BAE, Naughton, Rose and the future England right back. Plus one of the best keepers in Europe.

Up front however...[/QUOTE]

Up front did not concede 16 in our last 8. The future never happens. We played well defensively against City (IMO) what did we do wrong defensively in previous games?

We conceded 2 goals at Everton where if the balls through were out by inches there was no score and at Liverpool 2 ludicrous passes but it was stupid decison making by 2 experienced players.
Is it the players or the system or what?

I fear it may very well be the system. Last year Chelski didn't look very assured defensively to me, compared to previous seasons. Maybe it will be ironed out next season if we get a proper replacement for Modric.
However, that doessn't legislate for the poor individual errors in defending, e.g. Liverpool away, Emirates Marketing Project on sunday, Everton etc

Up front however...

The problem isn't really up front.

Goals scored:

Man Utd 78
Chelsea 66
Arsenal 65
Liverpool 61
Emirates Marketing Project 59
Tottenham 58
Everton 51

Goals conceded:

Emirates Marketing Project 30
Man Utd 35
Arsenal 35
Chelsea 35
Everton 38
Tottenham 41
Stoke 41
Liverpool 42
Swansea 42

I fear it may very well be the system. Last year Chelski didn't look very assured defensively to me, compared to previous seasons. Maybe it will be ironed out next season if we get a proper replacement for Modric.
However, that doessn't legislate for the poor individual errors in defending, e.g. Liverpool away, Emirates Marketing Project on sunday, Everton etc

You say it's the system, and then say it's individual player error..

It's likely both. If you put better players in the system it will be performed better. Hopefully with more experience in the system we will get off to a better start next season.

You say it's the system, and then say it's individual player error..

It's likely both. If you put better players in the system it will be performed better. Hopefully with more experience in the system we will get off to a better start next season.

I know it reads a little schizo...

Overall I feel it is the system and when there are 'glitches' in our new system it leads to more vulnerable chances conceded. Individual errorfs cannot be legislated for but I feel when they arise they lead to far more deadly situations for us in our current way of playing imo.

The problem isn't really up front.

Goals scored:

Man Utd 78
Chelsea 66
Arsenal 65
Liverpool 61
Emirates Marketing Project 59
Tottenham 58
Everton 51

Goals conceded:

Emirates Marketing Project 30
Man Utd 35
Arsenal 35
Chelsea 35
Everton 38
Tottenham 41
Stoke 41
Liverpool 42
Swansea 42

So six goals worse than the Champions in terms of defence and twenty goals worse than the Champions in terms of attack. Case in point?

I'd also like to see the chance conversion stats. It seems to me like we should have been converting a higher percentage of chances this season.

So six goals worse than the Champions in terms of defence and twenty goals worse than the Champions in terms of attack. Case in point?

I'd also like to see the chance conversion stats. It seems to me like we should have been converting a higher percentage of chances this season.

Not really the case in point. The champions are crazy. If you were expecting to be winning the title then sure you can rate us against them.

Am currently expecting top four. So It's like 6 goals conceded more, and 8 goals scored less. Both need improvement, but there are games to go, see what it's like at the end.

Last edited:
Back