• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is worse..diving or fouling?

if that "touch" impedes the attacker, it quite obviously means that it is a foul. and in most cases, that "touch" does impede the attacker

and no you cant to any extent. nowhere in the rules does it say you can push, kick, niggle opponents just a little bit.

Seriously, if you still cannot understand that at the very least there are other valid interpretations of those rules than the one you claim to be correct then there's little or nothing left to discuss.

Most here see it, the referees and football associations obviously see it, pundits see it and so on.

My second point was that you can, because players to that and refs let it pass every single game.

Rules generally do not explicitly say what is allowed, I'm quite sure it doesn't state in the rules that you're allowed to jump.

By the words you yourself posted it would have to be either reckless or using excessive force. It can still be contact and neither of those.

i was asked why impeding an attacker by touching them should be a foul. and that extract from the fifa rule book was in response to that. you can have a look yourself to find out as to why an intentional obstruction would be a foul mate.

i was asked why impeding an attacker by touching them should be a foul. and that extract from the fifa rule book was in response to that. you can have a look yourself to find out as to why an intentional obstruction would be a foul mate.

So what if two players both push each other and barely make any connection? What does the ref do? Clearly both players have been fouled in your eyes.

So what if two players both push each other and barely make any connection? What does the ref do? Clearly both players have been fouled in your eyes.

yes they have both been fouled. and both have fouled too.
i'm not a qualified ref so i don't know tbh. i guess the game would have to be stopped if we are following the rules tho.

yes they have both been fouled. and both have fouled too.
i'm not a qualified ref so i don't know tbh. i guess the game would have to be stopped if we are following the rules tho.

They're YOUR rules though or at least your interpretations of the rules, they are not the rules of FIFA.

Last edited:

You didn't quote anything about impeding a player. You posted a rule about being "careless, reckless or with excessive force".

Clearly you can impede a player without such contact being any of the three requirements to make it a foul.

You didn't quote anything about impeding a player. You posted a rule about being "careless, reckless or with excessive force".

Clearly you can impede a player without such contact being any of the three requirements to make it a foul.

what i posted shows you cannot give opponents minor kicks, niggles etc etc. that was the point i was trying to highlight, nothing more.

They're YOUR rules though or at least your interpretations of the rules, they are not the rules of FIFA.

well, the rules state that you cannot impede opponents. yes or no?
it doesnt say anything about allowing players to slightly push, kick opponents etc. hence, its black and white.

the actual application of the rules by the refs is another thing tho.

I think we would all agree that if we invented football today with the current set of rules, all these minor kicks/niggles etc would not be allowed. and the sport would be played with the level of contact that there is in a sport such as basketball.

and on the other hand, if we wanted to create football today to be played in the manner that it is played, the rules would be noticeably different than how it is currently.

hence, my point is that the current football rules arent really being followed. by it seems that with every passing generation, we seem to be moving to a closer application of the rules.

I agree there is quite a difference between the laws as written and as applied, games are refereed on precedent rather than application, handball and obstruction being good polar examples

what i posted shows you cannot give opponents minor kicks, niggles etc etc. that was the point i was trying to highlight, nothing more.

Clearly our understanding of the same words is very different. As far as I can tell (and I like to believe my understanding of English is at least competent), it says nothing of the sort.

scaramanga, are you suggesting that the rules allow for opponents to give minor niggles/kicks/bumps etc in instances where the ball is not played?

scaramanga, are you suggesting that the rules allow for opponents to give minor niggles/kicks/bumps etc in instances where the ball is not played?

Do I think they specifically say you can do it? Of course not, neither do they say you're allowed to tie your shoelaces before the match.

But from what you posted earlier, neither do they say you can't. As the basis of the rulebook is to say what you can't do rather than what you can then it's allowed (unless covered in some other section).

we'll have to agree to disagree i think. but for me, it quite clearly and specifically does state that you are not allowed to impede opponents in any manner.

with your line of argument, is a player allowed to simulate,dive just a little bit?
swear at the ref just a little bit? etc etc

we'll have to agree to disagree i think. but for me, it quite clearly and specifically does state that you are not allowed to impede opponents in any manner.

I honestly don't see that rule anywhere.

with your line of argument, is a player allowed to simulate,dive just a little bit?
swear at the ref just a little bit? etc etc

There is a specific rule in place about simulation - I think it actually specifies it as something one must be booked for. There's also a few mentions of behaviour towards the referee.

So no, they're not allowed.

Back