• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What is the worst ever decision taken by Daniel Levy as the Spurs chairman ?

What is Daniel Levy's worst decision as Spurs chairman ?

• Total voters
Re berbs: But there was only 20m on the table up until deadline day, when that sum increased by 10m, similar to the fellaini saga.

Had we sold for 20m a week or 2 before the window closed I for one would have been seriously ****ed, as would 99% of the fanbase. It's ok in hindsight, but at the time..

He should have had a replacement lined up just in case utd did stump up though but we didn't.

Yeah that's a fair point, as with all the decisions mentioned so far you can see why he has decided to act how he did - just think this one in particular was the one which set us back particularly far.

Personally wouldn't have appointed Santini thinking about it - Frank Arnesen wanted Jol from the outset but Levy didn't think the fans would accept a relative nobody alongside the then controversial DoF system, so went for a bigger name to ease the transition.

Have we?

A new manager with a bit of quality will be able to get this lot playing football very quickly and turn around this season that had run aground until AVB.
The target is still top 4.
Exciting times.

I'd argue Levy has put right what he got wrong in appointing AVB in the first place.

Don't think it is that simple. I am beginning to think that most of our current players are vastly over rated, especially the 7 new players. I think only the very experienced managers can get the best out of them.

Re berbs: But there was only 20m on the table up until deadline day, when that sum increased by 10m, similar to the fellaini saga.

Had we sold for 20m a week or 2 before the window closed I for one would have been seriously ****ed, as would 99% of the fanbase. It's ok in hindsight, but at the time..

He should have had a replacement lined up just in case utd did stump up though but we didn't.

I can't speak for the factual accuracy of this, but it's a very good example of what I said earlier about most of the decisions in the poll being complex matters. Yes it's easy to point the finger at Levy for all manner of things, but taken in the above context it's harder to criticize him on this particular matter, for example.

Personally I was all for letting Berbatov rot in the reserves......

Last edited:
Most of those were signed by Sugar

Yep. Note to self: don't do posts at 100mph. Think.

Fox, Rebrov and Tramezzani were under Sugars reign.

However, and IMHO, the following have been sanctioned by Levy and the board. Turkeys, grossly overpriced, or both. There are many more commanding less tranfer fees but still big stinkers. The Chairman sanctions all of these.

Bent.
Keane.... re-signed. What a mistake.
Bentley.
Bassong.
Postiga.
Jenas.
Zokora.
Mido.
Hutton.
Pavluchenko.
Pienaar.

See the link below and see the transfer values, plus in Sugars reign too.

Work out some totals if you want. I can't be arsed, and it would be too frightening.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2590&teamTabs=transfers

It boiled down to three for me:

Sacking Martin Jol despite finishing 5th two years in a row - outrageously harsh decision on a man with a strong connection to our club who is thoroughly likeable and had done an excellent job with us given his resources.

Sacking Harry Redknapp despite finishing 4th - a bad move and one I feel we are regretting, but at the same time it was understandable in some ways due to Harry's lack of loyalty. But I still disagreed with it.

Always waiting until the last minute to sign players - this has been incredibly damaging to us in hindsight. In 11/12 we finished one point off 3rd and missed out on the Champions League - had we signed Parker and Adebayor prior to our first two games (two defeats), we may well have achieved our target. In 12/13 we finished one point off 4th and missed out on the Champions League - had we signed Lloris and Dembele earlier, we may not have lost at Saudi Sportswashing Machine or drawn our first two home games.

The third option is my overall choice.

Sheffield Spur; Hiring Ramos. Hiring Redknapp. Hiring Santini. Hiring Hoddle. Using the D of F system. Treating BMJ like dogzhyte. Ditto AVB. Not backing AVB with the players he wanted..... if true. Not giving BMJ more funds for big transfers. Allowing Sherwood to such a level of importance. Allowing Pleat to such a level of importance. and taking eons over the new ground. Hows that for starters?[/QUOTE said:
About sums up my feelings.

There's never a wrong time to sack Graham.

LOL. I agree.

When Levy took over we were top half.

Now we we are top 5 so that is an improvement. We are just a decent manager away from winning trophies..or ECL.

What do the fans want?

I'll never understand people that say hiring Redknapp was a mistake.

Yeah, those three seasons we finished fourth twice and reached the Champions League quarter finals were horrendous!!

OTHER : Not having the cajoones back in 2001/02 to initiate the stadium rebuild, meaning a decade of loosing star players and therefore lost opportunity to overtake the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea.

Yeah, those three seasons we finished fourth twice and reached the Champions League quarter finals were horrendous!!

Spot on, employing someone who could do that on a shoestring was obviously a terrible decision. Perhaps the football was too exciting for some fans?

Agreed.

I think sacking Redknapp was fine, but hiring him in the first place was a very good decision.

OTHER : Not having the cajoones back in 2001/02 to initiate the stadium rebuild, meaning a decade of loosing star players and therefore lost opportunity to overtake the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea.

Personally I think it's a good thing that we have a chairman that makes decisions based on rational financial thinking, not "cojones". Have a look at the mess Valencia got themselves in by starting to build a stadium they then couldn't properly finance...

Yep. Note to self: don't do posts at 100mph. Think.

Fox, Rebrov and Tramezzani were under Sugars reign.

However, and IMHO, the following have been sanctioned by Levy and the board. Turkeys, grossly overpriced, or both. There are many more commanding less tranfer fees but still big stinkers. The Chairman sanctions all of these.

Bent.
Keane.... re-signed. What a mistake.
Bentley.
Bassong.
Postiga.
Jenas.
Zokora.
Mido.
Hutton.
Pavluchenko.
Pienaar.

See the link below and see the transfer values, plus in Sugars reign too.

Work out some totals if you want. I can't be arsed, and it would be too frightening.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2590&teamTabs=transfers

There's bound to be mistakes though. That includes the biggest names in management like Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho.

This article for example lists the best and worst signings Ferguson made: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/08/sir-alex-ferguson-best-worst-signings Many of those were a lot more costly than most of the players you list.

Levy is far from infallible, he's obviously trusted his managers/DoFs with some signings that didn't work out at all. I think that's par for the course though.

A massive mistake.

I don't like the man and can see through the ****ney barrow boy, knees up media darling horse**** roadshow that is Redknapp. His treachery ended up costing bigtime (no CL qualification - not 4th place - after his pursuit of the England managers job), and I wouldn't trust him an inch with the transfer kitty. Suarez? Nailed on, £22m and Redknapp changes his mind.... and advantage Liverpool (then again maybe its a trait in Spurs managers to spurn golden transfer opportunities.... Francis with Zinedine Zidane anyone?). Still, Liverpool got it wrong didn't they..... errrr, not!

But upfront? What company would employ someone with a major corruption charge pending? That decision was mind-blowing, and smacked to me of desperation, back in 2008. How the hell he can live in Sandbanks, a haven for the super-rich (not middle of the road football managers) is beyond me.

Remember Sven Goran Ericcson in his admission in the NOTW about a certain south coast football manager?

Agreed.

I think sacking Redknapp was fine, but hiring him in the first place was a very good decision.

Personally I think it's a good thing that we have a chairman that makes decisions based on rational financial thinking, not "cojones". Have a look at the mess Valencia got themselves in by starting to build a stadium they then couldn't properly finance...

There's bound to be mistakes though. That includes the biggest names in management like Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho.

This article for example lists the best and worst signings Ferguson made: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/08/sir-alex-ferguson-best-worst-signings Many of those were a lot more costly than most of the players you list.

Levy is far from infallible, he's obviously trusted his managers/DoFs with some signings that didn't work out at all. I think that's par for the course though.

Levy has made far more mistakes in his his tenure than the likes of MUFC. Its been a stream of them, and its about time there was some accountability.

We need a new board and owner. Enough is enough. Time for change.

Last edited:
Levy throwing a tantrum and deciding to sack AVB without a succession plan, or any plan for that matter is the worst thing I can remember in 30 years of supporting this club. I contacted the club and requested cancellation of my membership and that of my wife (who actually hates football but I bought her a membership to give a little bit more to the club. Refund should be in my account in 4 to 5 days apparently. It's a very small financial hit compared to the revenue of the club but it's the only way I can show my disgust.

So, if I could vote on this poll, I would choose option 4

A late entry: not overriding HR and signing Luis Suarez when we had the chance.

The boy is on fire.

He could break Bale's transfer record if he keeps this up. That's a £100m mistake. And a lot more in terms of league position etc. :)

Lots of ifs and lamenting at the moment.

+ 1

Do people still consider Levy to be the best chairman in the country? Best chairman in the world according to that dingdonghead Wriggly

I said in another thread that Bill Kenwright at Everton deserves a mention.

+ 1

Do people still consider Levy to be the best chairman in the country? Best chairman in the world according to that dingdonghead Wriggly

I said in another thread that Bill Kenwright at Everton deserves a mention.

really, I'd say Everton have massively underachieved since the mid 80's

Back