• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what is/isn't a sport

I consider 'sport' to be something requiring physical exertion and a level of skill.

That would be my answer too, perhaps adding high levels of physical exertion and skill in a competitive situation.

So mountaineering or polar treks are not sport even though they involve physical exertion and skill. If it was a race, though, ...

Equestrian is a sport for horses, not humans. The horse is making most of the effort and demonstrating most of the skill. It doesn't matter how good the rider, a top horse is needed.

Same with motor racing. The driver is not the primary determinant of success. A top driver can't win without a top car, while a top car can win with a moderate driver.

Rowing, canoeing and cycling rely on the person for propulsion, which makes it a sport for me. The designs are tightly regulated and not allowed to diverge much so the strength and skill of the person is the primary determinant. Sailing uses the wind for propulsion, but it is totally down to the skill of the sailor to harness the energy and anyone watching the camera on Ainslie's boat wouldn't question the physical exertion. In contrast, motorboat racing depends on more on the motor and should not be considered a sport, although it has appeared in the Olympics.

Last edited:
In contrast, motor racing depends on more on the motor and should not be considered a sport, although it has appeared in the Olympics.

With respect - walob

So the person steering the motor and guiding it around the track using his skill and guille is different to the wind sailor you've just accredited few sentences up?

Same with motor racing. The driver is not the primary determinant of success. A top driver can't win without a top car, while a top car can win with a moderate driver.
:ross:

Does that mean to say that all motor racing is the same? Of course not. If I didn't have a top pair of golf clubs, then I probably wouldn't be able to compete to the highest level. As others have said, there are many series where all drivers/riders have the same level of machinery - but are able to adjust certain aspects of the vehicles in order to gain an advantage. Which means that research, intelligent drivers and knowledge gained from practice sessions can be used to help a driver have a better chance of winning.

Some shocking opinions in this thread. If you don't think motor racing is a sport then you obviously don't know enough about it.

I couldn't be arsed to go through every single sport to see if it fit or not.
You're only saying that because you realise what you said was ill thought-out, and completely wrong. Yet you're still arsed to post articles about Borussia Dortmund's reserve team transfer news most of the day.

You're only saying that because you realise what you said was ill thought-out, and completely wrong. Yet you're still arsed to post articles about Borussia Dortmund's reserve team transfer news most of the day.

100% fail in that post.

I went back and edited it after I posted it, but I didn't make it 100% foolproof as I couldn't be bothered. And the rest of your post: :rolleyes:

With respect - walob

So the person steering the motor and guiding it around the track using his skill and guille is different to the wind sailor you've just accredited few sentences up?

Instead of immediately resorting to insults, you should try reading the post more carefully. I had already addressed your question.

The sailing boat doesn't harness the wind without the physical effort and skill of the sailor. The motor boat or car just needs the turn of a switch and the movement of another control to harness the power. The energy for the propulsion comes from the physical efforts and skill of a sailor in one, from the engine in the other. Both involve skill in the steering, but that alone is not enough to make it a sport.

Some people will (or already have) argue(d) that an FI driver must be extremely fit to complete a grand prix. That is true but not enough to make it a sport. Astronauts have to handle similar g-force requirements but that doesn't make space travel a sport.

100% fail in that post.

I went back and edited it after I posted it, but I didn't make it 100% foolproof as I couldn't be bothered. And the rest of your post: :rolleyes:
Why is my post a fail? It's true - what you said is completely ignorant, there are some great sports that require huge amounts of physical and mental effort to perform where you are sitting down for the majority, if not all of the event.

The likes of motocross riding are extremely difficult on the mind and body, and the effect of the machinery at that level is negligible - believe me.

Why is my post a fail? It's true - what you said is completely ignorant, there are some great sports that require huge amounts of physical and mental effort to perform where you are sitting down for the majority, if not all of the event.

The likes of motocross riding are extremely difficult on the mind and body, and the effect of the machinery at that level is negligible - believe me.

What I said is my opinion. It might not be my complete opinion, but I'm not going to write out a list of sports and other stuff in order of 'sportness'.

Something else that's not a sport: bobsleigh, luge and skeleton

Some people will (or already have) argue(d) that an FI driver must be extremely fit to complete a grand prix. That is true but not enough to make it a sport. Astronauts have to handle similar g-force requirements but that doesn't make space travel a sport.
:eek: That a very skewed POV. Both require a vast amount of physical fitness to participate in, yes, but astronauts do not have an organisation in place for them to compete. What they gonna do? Race lunar buggies around moon craters? :lol:

What I said is my opinion. It might not be my complete opinion, but I'm not going to write out a list of sports and other stuff in order of 'sportness'.

Something else that's not a sport: bobsleigh, luge and skeleton
It's your opinion, but that counts for nothing when you're not willing to back it up. Why are they not sports (bobsleigh, luge + skeleton)? As far as I see, they pretty much use the same equipment, the course is the same - the only factor that seems to influence the outcome is the weight, ability and fitness of the drivers + passengers. They are competing against each other, sounds like a sport to me.

Instead of immediately resorting to insults, you should try reading the post more carefully. I had already addressed your question.

The sailing boat doesn't harness the wind without the physical effort and skill of the sailor. The motor boat or car just needs the turn of a switch and the movement of another control to harness the power. The energy for the propulsion comes from the physical efforts and skill of a sailor in one, from the engine in the other. Both involve skill in the steering, but that alone is not enough to make it a sport.

Space travel isn't competitive so the comparison is inaccurate

I did read your post - simply srtuggle to follow your analogy as far as skill and navigating is concerned. Both involve intimate 'relationship' and understanding of your machinery / tool - the source of the energy here is irrelevant, imv unless you're spinning some greeny propaganda, which I sincerely doubt.

Last edited:
Back