• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what is/isn't a sport

dawaxman

Gheorge Popescu
Following on from the Olympics thread and becoming acquainted over the last few weeks with one or two 'sports' which seem hobby-ish to me...I wanted to know what everyone thinks constitutes a sport:

For example, darts? Sport or game? Dressage? Sport or art? Synchronized swimming? Sport or just weird?

List what you think are sports (assume we will all choose football!) and what you think aren't sports (hope you all agree that rhythmic gymnastics isnt!)

Easier to list what isn't in my opinion.

I consider 'sport' to be something requiring physical exertion and a level of skill.

Therefore, not a sport =

Snooker
Darts
Dressage

i think to be a sport there should be an obvious result based on statistics, anything that needs judges to award points is out imo

i'd need to do something with boxing though to bend it to my rule, bring in draws or last man standing or something

Anything involving cars or horses - If you're sitting down it's not a sport. I will exclude rowing from that as it's your own effort that moves the boat forward, but not sailing.

Anything involving cars or horses - If you're sitting down it's not a sport. I will exclude rowing from that as it's your own effort that moves the boat forward, but not sailing.

Sailing at that level is absolutely exhausting, incredibly skilled and very tactical, all the ingredients of sport for me. It's using a tool to propel yourself just like rowing and cycling. brick to watch mind.

Horse riding should not be a sport imo however, it's the horses doing the Olympic feats not the riders.

We can loosen the term for what constitute something physical and competitive. What should be an Olympic sport is another question and as you say horse riding shouldn't. Also get rid of rhytmic gymnastics, synchronised swimming, modern pentathlon and race walking for starters.

I don't buy this for one second, F1 drivers are some of the fittest athletes on the planet..

I think you're grossly underestimating with the physical level required in pulling 5G in a F1 car for 2 hours. Or the bikes for that matter. F1 drivers are much fitter than most sportsmen and take an immense beating around the track.

Sport for me is something which requires above normal physical effort - i.e. beyond walking, etc.

Last edited:
sport (spôrt, sprt)
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

I went to a lecture where they discussed the difference between a sport and a game. Semantics at the highest level.

Sport vs Game
People often take game and sport as to be the same one. However, game and sport are entirely different. A game involves more than one person and a sport pertains to only an individual’s skills and performance.

So the Olympics has both.

I don't like having tennis, football, basketball, synch swimming, BMX, show jumping or dressage in the Olympics. I don't like the caveats in the first three listed - U23 but with some overage players, make it all u23!!! Tennis with PTA players. Basketball with NBA players. I guess it's to lift the profile of the event, and they can't find a reason to say no to these professional sports people. Hockey in the winter Olympics has NHL players. I would prefer it was for the next tier down, collegiate players or youth squads.

Synch swimming is like that gymnastics with a ball or ribbon, great and very technical but an Olympic event? I don't like it. BMX I see the merits of as an extension of cycling. Show jumping and dressage are again very technical but seem out of place.

I read that Golf and Rugby 7s are in line for the next games?! get Cricket in too, then. Just have every sport as well as the traditional events, just for the sake of it.

Ridiculous statement

So cycling isn't a sport? F1 drivers are some of the fittest on the planet...

Last edited:
Ridiculous statement

So cycling isn't a sport? F1 drivers are some of the fittest on the planet...

Didn't say anything about cycling, but driving a car around a track isn't a sport, regardless of how fit the drivers are. A good level of fitness will help with most things in life.

I think sport is about competition.

Anything that inolves skill or exertion or both and involves competing against eachother is sport IMO.

Back