• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wesley Sneider

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case the outlay wouldn't be insignificant compared to the £40-50m we would acquire by qualifying the CL.

That risk and potential gain must be weighed up against the risk and potential gain of signing other players with that money. If Sneijder was such an obvious "must sign" good deal why aren't clubs lining up around the San Siro looking to talk to Inter about signing him?

Is that now the yardstick of a successful signing - how many clubs are lined up for him? And how do you know for a fact there are no other suitors - unless of course you're his agent (!)

Using your logic - how many club were after Lloris in the summer - and look at the difference he's made to our squad. That shouldn't be the criteria in the slightest - more about what the player can do for us in the larger scheme

A quality player would improve the overall squad and our starting 11 - that is the bottom line here, as far as I'm concerned - not sure why you're deade set on insinuating he'd be the equivalent investment to throwing money down a hole

Last edited:
A striker is obviously hugely important spursalot but I agree that a Lampard/Sneijder figure who comes in to the box late, hard to pick up etc can be a huge asset against all teams, especially those that park the bus. 15/20 goals a season from midfield isn't too bad either.

True, but still. We are producing the most chances in the league.

A primary striker to put some of those away would still make far more sense then a secondary.

I know statistics can be massaged in either context but in my opinion we have lacked severely in our creative department, especially now that Modric and VdV are both gone - look at QPR for example - one bad game form Dembele and we looked completely clueless, to this day struggling to unlock clogger teams who park the bus.

Rememeber the difference VdV made to our game from a similar position (over 2 seasons).

I know statistics can be massaged in either context but in my opinion we have lacked severely in our creative department, especially now that Modric and VdV are both gone - look at QPR for example - one bad game form Dembele and we looked completely clueless, to this day struggling to unlock clogger teams who park the bus.

Rememeber the difference VdV made to our game from a similar position (over 2 seasons).

Statistics can be massaged, however it's all relative.

A clinical finisher up front and we would have gained far more points, Defoe and Ade have both been missing relatively easy chances over the last 6-7 games.

This would also solve the issue about teams sitting back, simply because all you need is that one chance. As soon as the first goal goes in the opposing team HAVE to come out and play, there is no longer any point in sitting back and defending any more.

More creativity is not the only option. Being more clinical would work just as well.

We have Sig and Dempsey for the player in the hole. Both of whom imo have been performing better recently, i think either of them should be given a chance before we go spending silly money on a replacement.

Whereas we've seen what Defoe and Ade can both do. We know there is better out there for the money you'd spend on Wesley.

I'm not trying to bias the argument one way or the other, I haven't seen Sneijder play once in the past 2 years so have no idea what he has been like. I'd obviously be delighted if we signed him regardless because of his previous talent but I'm not going to be crying either if come February 1st, he isn's a Spurs player.

I only pointed out those players because some posters are mocking others for even floating the idea that Sneijder wouldn't come and be an instant success or that there may be any reason he wouldn't be wanted by the club. Sheva was one of the best strikers in the world at the time but came here and failed. My only point really is that it isn't a 100% thing.

Sneijder wouldn't cripple us for sure but if he comes and ends up injured, not caring or simply not bringing his a game for whatever reason, we're left with a player who we're paying a huge amount for and who isn't doing a great deal.

But you're completely right, a club at our level doesn't get the chance to sign these kinds of players (VDV, Sneijder, arguably Lloris) if their stock hasn't gone slightly down and the rewards for us if it comes off is huge.

Bit of an unfair comparison. One would automatically be first choice, likely regardless of how he's playing, on a huge wage and the other is about 8th choice cm on loan to a championship team and hopefully being moved on soon.

I trust the club to make the right decision if the option is available anyway.

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing. As you say if it goes wrong we have a player on some pretty hefty wages that is doing little to earn them. We have a few like this already if you count Gomes, Bentley, etc.. Worth the risk IMO.

Apologies. The Jenas comparison was not yours but another posters further up. There is no comparison in my opinion (and your opinion too I think ;))

Statistics can be massaged, however it's all relative.

A clinical finisher up front and we would have gained far more points, Defoe and Ade have both been missing relatively easy chances over the last 6-7 games.

This would also solve the issue about teams sitting back, simply because all you need is that one chance. As soon as the first goal goes in the opposing team HAVE to come out and play, there is no longer any point in sitting back and defending any more.

More creativity is not the only option. Being more clinical would work just as well.

We have Sig and Dempsey for the player in the hole. Both of whom imo have been performing better recently, i think either of them should be given a chance before we go spending silly money on a replacement.

Whereas we've seen what Defoe and Ade can both do. We know there is better out there for the money you'd spend on Wesley.

Sig and Demspey are currently not good enough for that position, imv - the former is still young and holds some potential and can't get into the team as it is currently anyway, while Demspey will never be more than a 6/10 player with the occasioanl good game.

Not sure where this sentiment of yours regarding players losing their position comes in - I want the squad to improve constantly and keep us competitive with the front runners. Did you feel sorry for Hudd or Jenas when Modric came in? If a class player is available and willing to come, it's a no brainer for me. Plus it would further increase competition for places and improve our overall depth.

Seriously lads, this is not Phil Neville we're talking about but Wesley Sneijder - an absolutely top player who's won pretty muche everything and will bring tremendous lot both to our dressing room and field of play. We are not Man Utd either or another massive club to be picky around such opportunities - reality check, please - one random CL run so many years of mediocrity does not change that.

We should be biting their hand off if true

Last edited:
Sig and Demspey are currently not good enough for that position - the former is still young and holds some potential and can't get into the team as it is currently anyway. while Demspey will never be more than a 6/10 player with the occasioanl good game.

Not sure where this sentiment of yours comes in - I want the squad to improve constantly and keep us competitive with the front runners. If a class player is available and willing to come, it's a no brainer for me. Plus it would further increase competition for places and improve our overall depth.

Seriously lads, this is not Phil Neville we're talking about but Wesley Sneijder - an absolutely top player who's won pretty muche everything and will bring tremendous lot both to our dressing room and field of play. We are not Man Utd either or another massive club to be picky around such opportunities - reality check, please - one CL run so many years of mediocrity does not change that.

We should be biting their hand off if true

It's got nothing to do with sentiment. It's got everything to do with doing the best for the squad.

A clinical striker would make all the difference imo. Especially with teams that sit back against us.

That has nothing to do with needing a reality check, it has everything to do with thinking there are positions that could make us a far better team if the money was spent there.

Also 'Wesley Sneijder - a formerly absolutely top player who's won pretty muche everything'

It's got nothing to do with sentiment. It's got everything to do with doing the best for the squad.

A clinical striker would make all the difference imo. Especially with teams that sit back against us.

That has nothing to do with needing a reality check, it has everything to do with thinking there are positions that could make us a far better team if the money was spent there.

But surely that is largerly centered around improving that squad constantly - which is exactly what Sneijder would do

I'd even argue there are far less clinical strikers avaialble within our financial model than Sneijders or Willians

Also 'Wesley Sneijder - a formerly absolutely top player who's won pretty muche everything'

Why 'formerly' - because he's been frozen out by management due to some disrepute?

Have a look at Llorente this season, for example - similar story - has only started 1 (one) game in La Liga - rest has been sub appearances - 1 goal in 12 games. Do you think he's also a former great striker?

Last edited:
But surely that is largerly centered around improving that squad constantly - which is exactly what Sneijder would do

I'd even argue there are far less clinical strikers avaialble within our financial model than Sneijders or Willians

I would argue that to consider Sneijder inside our financial model is hilarious.

Imo, he wouldn't improve the squad as much as a clinical striker of the same value. Next?

Last edited:
How much do you think Sneijder would cost?

How much do you think a clinical striker would cost?

I'm talking wage-wise.

What is he currently on?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 200k per week. To take a 50%+ pay cut? madness.

He would come here on roughly the same wage as a clinical striker would albeit on a lower transfer fee

There are no sub 20m 'clinical' strikers that would improve our team - unless we invest in young prospects but that wouldn't solve our current 'issues' and still involves a gamble (medium-long term investment).

As opposed to bringing in an experience, proven unit (much like VdV was) and reaping results immediately

Sounds like Levy's kind of guy!

Inter’s Sneijder feeling the pressure over Galatasaray move

Inter’s Wesley Sneijder has revealed he wont be rushed into a decision on his future.

The midfielder is considering an offer from Galatasaray, but is thought to be holding out for an offer from a Premier League side, which, at the moment, is not forthcoming.

“Some people said that I would be in Istanbul today? The pressure being put on me is annoying,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Look, like all of the players who need to decide where to go this month, I have until January 31. I’m in no rush and I don’t want to be rushed.

“After all that has happened in the last few months, in the context that I along with my teammates made football history here, I don’t want to hear pressure being put on me.

“My doubts do not have anything to do with the offers that I have received,” he continued.

“It’s just that after all that I have done I don’t want to feel the way I do, almost forced to make an important life decision in a short space of time. It’s got nothing to do with money.”

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2013/01/inters-sneijder-feeling-the-pressure-over-galatasaray-move/

Is that now the yardstick of a successful signing - how many clubs are lined up for him? And how do you know for a fact there are no other suitors - unless of course you're his agent (!)

Using your logic - how many club were after Lloris in the summer - and look at the difference he's made to our squad. That shouldn't be the criteria in the slightest - more about what the player can do for us in the larger scheme

A quality player would improve the overall squad and our starting 11 - that is the bottom line here, as far as I'm concerned - not sure why you're deade set on insinuating he'd be the equivalent investment to throwing money down a hole

I have no idea whose opinions you're arguing against, but they're not mine.

What parts of my post(s) made you think that my opinion is that buying Sneijder would be the equivalent investment to throwing money down a hole? If anything I wrote could be seen to say that please let me know, obviously I must find a way to make myself clearer in the future if that's the case.

I didn't say that how many clubs are interested is "the yardstick of a successful signing". Obviously what a player can do for us is the important part. I just asked the question why, if this is such an obviously good deal, more clubs aren't interested?

I'm obviously not his agent. If you're going to be outright silly at least make an effort to be somewhat funny or original. The interest and negotiations from Galatasaray have been widely reported with quotes from at least Galatasaray. Does that indicate that a lot of big clubs are after him?

He would come here on roughly the same wage as a clinical striker would albeit on a lower transfer fee

There are no sub 20m 'clinical' strikers that would improve our team - unless we invest in young prospects but that wouldn't solve our current 'issues' and still involves a gamble (medium-long term investment).

As opposed to bringing in an experience, proven unit (much like VdV was) and reaping results immediately

Demba Ba wouldn't have been a bad shout tho a risk given his knee.

Still makes me laugh that he has messed around thinking big clubs would be all over him and now he's left with the Turkish league or rotting in the reserves for a bit, I call it back.

Demba Ba wouldn't have been a bad shout tho a risk given his knee.

Still makes me laugh that he has messed around thinking big clubs would be all over him and now he's left with the Turkish league or rotting in the reserves for a bit, I call it back.

Maybe like a good poker player, most teams don't want to show its hand until Saudi Sportswashing Machine get a deal going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back