• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Wesley Sneider

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea whose opinions you're arguing against, but they're not mine.

What parts of my post(s) made you think that my opinion is that buying Sneijder would be the equivalent investment to throwing money down a hole? If anything I wrote could be seen to say that please let me know, obviously I must find a way to make myself clearer in the future if that's the case.

I didn't say that how many clubs are interested is "the yardstick of a successful signing". Obviously what a player can do for us is the important part. I just asked the question why, if this is such an obviously good deal, more clubs aren't interested?

I'm obviously not his agent. If you're going to be outright silly at least make an effort to be somewhat funny or original. The interest and negotiations from Galatasaray have been widely reported with quotes from at least Galatasaray. Does that indicate that a lot of big clubs are after him?

Brainecslipse, throughout this thread you have expressed an opinion largely focused around the issue of 'investment' and whether this purchase would be a worthwhile 'outlay' - subsequently you had 'softened' your view but the overall premise remains. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or missing your point. For me personaly, he's a quality player who would improve our team substantially, that is the main concern around such a marquee signing (for lack of better word). VdV was one, Lloris is another, etc.

Few points below

- how do you know only one club are interested simply because that's what is reported in the press. Even in the article, I posted further up he makes mention to the 'offers' he's received, choosing to keep those private. But even if Galatasaray were the only club 'interested', I still fail to see how that can be considered disadvantageous to him as a player/transfer (within our context, of course). To answer your question - I'm not sure why (according to you) no other big clubs are interested although some reasons could include - lack of starting 11 availability, lack of funds (Italian clubs are desperately trying to cut costs and have already stated no big transfer are envisaged for the foreseeable future), the two clubs in Spain have plenty in his position, while the only English clubs who can accommodate him are us and Liverpool (Utd have Kagawa and Powell, in addition to Cleverly who can also fill in that position as well as Rooney who drops in the hole when RvP starts). Not sure he wants to go to Germany.

- what does any of that have to do with us and his quality as a transfer / player?

- how many 'big' clubs were interested in VdV and Lloris for example?

Last edited:
Brainecslipse, throughout this thread you have expressed an opinion largely focused around the issue of 'investment' and whether this purchase would be a worthwhile 'outlay' - subsequently you had 'softened' your view but the overall premise remains. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or missing your point. For me personaly, he's a quality player who would improve our team substantially, that is the main concern around such a marquee signing (for lack of better word). VdV was one, Lloris is another, etc.

I haven't really softened my views. All along my argument has been against those saying that he's a "must sign" type of player. This is also the first point of mine you reacted to, where you didn't even know if I was serious.

I ask again, what parts of my post(s) made you think that my opinion is that buying Sneijder would be the equivalent investment to throwing money down a hole? Seriously, can you answer this?

Again, my argument has been with those saying that he is a "must sign" type player. If the deal, as we understand it from the media, is so obviously a great one, then I would think that a lot of clubs would be looking to make that deal.

Just to be clear, this is a part of a post I made on page 10 of this thread:

If we can get another good deal he could be a better version of the VdV signing imo (apart from the wages).

I'm not saying he's brick, or that we shouldn't look into signing him, or that he wouldn't strengthen our team.

Greg Stobart @gstobart

Spurs have turned him down so far, so I doubt it. Maybe AVB/DL will change their minds if it rumbles into last week of Jan

Greg Stobart @gstobart

Spurs have turned him down so far, so I doubt it. Maybe AVB/DL will change their minds if it rumbles into last week of Jan

Like I said earlier in this thread I think this could be a classical Levy deadline day signing. Inter, Sneijder and of course his agents will be getting desperate and might be willing to lower their demands come January 31st and we might be able to get the deal we want.

Like I said earlier in this thread I think this could be a classical Levy deadline day signing. Inter, Sneijder and of course his agents will be getting desperate and might be willing to lower their demands come January 31st and we might be able to get the deal we want.

There's certainly no reason to go all out yet. I have a feeling Sneijder himself will drag this out as long as possible to see what offers he can get.

If the deal, as we understand it from the media, is so obviously a great one, then I would think that a lot of clubs would be looking to make that deal.

I have selected one part of your post (seeing that the rest we seem to be arguing past each other)

- how do you know other clubs aren't in for him

- what difference does it make to us and his potential impact at Spurs if that was indeed the case

I have selected one part of your post (seeing that the rest we seem to be arguing past each other)

You ignoring my direct questions is hardly arguing past each other. If you want to just leave it at this that's fine, but then please don't straw man my arguments again in the future.

- how do you know other clubs aren't in for him

It's the transfer rumours forum. Are we not all discussing based on transfer rumours? That seems to me to be kind of implied. The comments from Inter, Galatasaray and Liverpool seem to me to be as solid as most of the sources we discuss on here. Of course we could just answer every post in here with "how do you know for sure, are you his agent?" I don't see that as a particularly interesting discussion though.

If Galatasaray really are an option for him then I don't think big clubs are in for him at this point at least. Do you disagree?

- what difference does it make to us and his potential impact at Spurs if that was indeed the case

What impact he actually makes at Spurs we'll only know if we actually sign him. His potential impact must be weighed up against the cost and the potential impact and cost of other transfer targets. For this to be a "must sign", making this a great deal, we must overall see those factors rather clearly in his favour over other targets.

I'll repeat myself here just to make sure you don't misunderstand, I do hope we find a good deal and sign him.

The difference it makes is in the evaluation of the deal being touted by Inter and Sneijder's agent. If true that this deal isn't very appealing to most clubs around Europe bigger than Galatasaray that seems to indicate that there are a lot of managers, directors of football and chairmen who don't think this deal is a great one.

Sjniiadsh should sit back, relax and enjoy a warm cup of Tweek coffee - there's way too much pressure on that poor Belgian.

What is your direct question(s)? I haven't staw-manned you in the slightest - have taken time in answering all your points in reasonable detail

As for the Galatasaray link - even the player himself said he'd wait till 31st and consider ALL options. Yes, we are discussing the links but simply because something isn't reported in the Daily Mail does not imply it never happened. A player of his ability would attract many enquires - that is rather logical, would you not agree?

But even if we assume only one club is interested - that does not mean it's deal is bad (?) - can also indicates they do not need that 'position' in their respective teams, etc. - something I've already outlined few posts up

You also mention this is the 'transfer rumours forum' - yet seem to accept/assume only one possible scenario/outcome

Last edited:

agree

this will be a VDV type swoop on deadline day. Levy is simply counting down the days

levy.jpg

5 reasons why Welsey would properl us to the top

1, Talent

While Inter Milan have suffered a rough two-and-a-half seasons since the departure of manager Jose Mourinho, the talents of Wesley Sneijder have been somewhat forgotten.

To remember how good Sneijder is, one need only look back at his incredible 2010 season: he led his Inter side past Barcelona and to the Champions League title (and a treble), and he followed it up with a stunning performance at the World Cup, where he finished joint top-scorer while leading the Netherlands to the final.

While his form has fallen off in the past few years, Sneijder still has the potential to produce the same kind of wonderful play.

If Spurs could figure out how to get the most out of Wesley, he would be an incredibly valuable asset.

2, Spur's Position

It's not like Tottenham have a long way to go to get into the Top Three of the Premier League.

As it stands right now, Spurs sit in fourth in the league—just one point off of Chelsea's pace in third (though the Blues have a match in hand).

Hence, it's not like Tottenham will need a huge push to break through one of the top clubs.

With what Sneijder brings to the table, he could definitely provide the spark necessary to push Spurs into the Top Three.

3, System

Back in 2010, the best year of his career, Sneijder played almost the same role at Inter Milan and the Netherlands: he sat up behind a center striker with two wide players on his sides and two central defensive midfielders behind him.

The linking play Sneijder was able to produce was fantastic for both teams as he led them to great heights.

Obviously, it would be fantastic if Spurs could implement a similar system, allowing the Dutchman to fit right in.

Luckily, Spurs' current setup needs hardly any tweaking to look very similar to the ones that Sneijder played with at Inter. This shouldn't be too much of a surprise, as current Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas was an assistant under Jose Mourinho at Inter in 2009.

With Emmanuel Adebayor leaving for the African Cup of Nations, Sneijder would merely take Clint Dempsey's typical central role, sit behind center striker Jermain Defoe with Gareth Bale and Aaron Lennon on the wings and have Scott Parker (or Sandro) and Mousa Dembele for cover behind him.

The only clear difference between this and the other teams would be in the defensive midfielders, as Dembele is more attack-minded. However, this seems like an attractive twist, as Dembele could hold up the ball, provide a link from the back and start his runs from a bit deeper.

As long as every player would be on board with it, this lineup could be very successful.

4, Creative Edge

Through the first 21 matches of the Premier League season, Spurs' weak areas have become abundantly clear.

In central defense, the club has been hit with injuries and inconsistent play. Just look at William Gallas' horrendous match against Chelsea for proof.

Further, Tottenham have conceded the most goals during the final ten minutes of matches in the Premier League.

Finally, past their deadly counterattack and pure talent, the side has lacked a creative edge in the final third.

For evidence of this last problem, one need look no further than the club's last match with QPR, where they were unable to break down the defensive opposition.

Now, by itself, that match doesn't say much. After all, it's hard to get past a side that is parking the bus (just ask Barcelona). However, this wasn't the first time this year that Spurs have struggled to find a goal despite dominating play, a trend that might be traced back to the sales of Rafael van der Vaart and Luka Modric.

Yes, Spurs have scored in every match, but one cannot help but think that their goal scoring could be even better given their possession and deadly options up front.

This is where a player like Sneijder could help, facilitating the attack and picking defenses apart with his guile.

Tottenham's attack is very good now, but Sneijder could make it even better.

5, Point to Prove

One of the best things about a player in Sneijder's position is the chip on his shoulder.

Just a few years after a 2010 season that some still believe should have earned him the Ballon d'Or, Sneijder's stock has suffered on a struggling Inter side.

Now, after links to the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid is past windows, he is very close to being forced into a move to Turkey. (No disrespect to the Super Lig, but it's not quite the same prestige as those other sides.)

This leaves the 29-year-old Dutchman with a point to prove: that he is still one of the best players in the world and can cut it in any side.

That kind of motivation makes him a good possibility for an ambitious side like Spurs.

Agreed with others, this reeks of classic Levy. The whole strangeness of it, apparently Galatasaray thinking he will be joining them, and then Sneijder pulling out, then them demanding he makes a decision, and then no decision. Inter need him off the wage bill, and Levy is waiting until they get desperate before offering to take Sneijder off their hands for a few million/loan and with Inter paying a significant amount in wages.

Absolutely reeks of vintage Levy this does.

Agreed with others, this reeks of classic Levy. The whole strangeness of it, apparently Galatasaray thinking he will be joining them, and then Sneijder pulling out, then them demanding he makes a decision, and then no decision. Inter need him off the wage bill, and Levy is waiting until they get desperate before offering to take Sneijder off their hands for a few million/loan and with Inter paying a significant amount in wages.

Absolutely reeks of vintage Levy this does.

This is all good and well, mate - but what happens if Liverpool come into the picture - wage-wise they could still out bid us most likely

This is all good and well, mate - but what happens if Liverpool come into the picture - wage-wise they could still out bid us most likely

London, world class training centre, kind words from VDV, Dutch team mate Vertonghen already here:), errr London.....heaps of things more attractive than an extra 50k a week elsewhere 8-[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back