• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I genuinely laughed at that question. Yes, Canada still has Mounties. Our federal police force is known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). But you only see them atop ponies in their famous red jackets and broad-brimmed hats in ceremonial roles.

Otherwise, they're just another bad-ass law-enforcement unit 'riding' in high-powered SUV automobiles, packing heat, cracking heads and kickin' butt. And that's before anyone even thinks about breaking the law.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I genuinely laughed at that question. Yes, Canada still has Mounties. Our federal police force is known as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). But you only see them atop ponies in their famous red jackets and broad-brimmed hats in ceremonial roles.

Otherwise, they're just another bad-ass law-enforcement unit 'riding' in high-powered SUV automobiles, packing heat, cracking heads and kickin' butt. And that's before anyone even thinks about breaking the law.

I remember seeing Gary Cooper in a Mounties films a kid, I liked Gary Cooper and one with Tyrone Power, I didn't like him. They looked so smart in their uniforms and "they always got their man" Last time I saw them was in a TV show Due South.

Am I the only one who thinks stuff like this is just a bit creepy

But, but, but, I hear a number of you talk like Ali Gold is a proper journalist. More like a bit of a glorified fan who's taken on the role of self-appointed citizen journalist. I can't watch his maundering, droning videos or read that pandering, pop-up heavy London website. Reminds me a lot of that Chris Cowlick character.

They've both been at a while and put themselves in the shop window. If they were that good, they'd have been hired by now by some proper news entity.

Last edited:
But, but, but, I hear a number of you talk like Ali Gold is a proper journalist. More like a bit of a glorified fan who's taken on the role of self-appointed citizen journalist. I can't watch his maundering, droning videos or read that pandering, pop-up heavy London website. Reminds me a lot of that Chris Cowlick character.

They've both been at a while and put themselves in the shop window. If they were that good, they'd have been hired by now by some proper news entity.

Ali Gold spent years covering sports for newspapers, albeit at a local rather than national level. I don't watch his videos and find the Football London site almost impossible to read, but to say he is not a 'proper' (whatever that is) journalist is to ignore his background.
Chris Cowlin, sure. Made his name by recording weekly videos of the exterior of the new stadium build (videos which veered from tedious to interesting depending on what what happening but he stuck with it) and built his profile from there. Can't say I have any particular opinion on him as I don't listen to his podcasts but I suppose fair play to him for making a gig out of being a Spurs fan.

Chris Cowlin, sure. Made his name by recording weekly videos of the exterior of the new stadium build (videos which veered from tedious to interesting depending on what what happening but he stuck with it) and built his profile from there. Can't say I have any particular opinion on him as I don't listen to his podcasts but I suppose fair play to him for making a gig out of being a Spurs fan.

I met him in Bangkok and Singapore this year, was a nice guy. Almost felt a bit sorry for him, he seems beholden to his YouTube channel now -- he can't go to any event without filming and publishing it. But hey he seems to enjoy it and gets good numbers, so more power to him.

Agree with the snapper in the fur hat.

Locals are not what they were. Group sports editor across four online-only Trinity Mirror titles is no longer the sort of job that springboards a good journalist into the nationals or a prestigious trade rag. Gold’s career is a harbinger of the near-death of journalism, a grim future where aspiring hacks can only earn a living through slavish loyalty to any fandom which generates enough clicks.

Ali Gold spent years covering sports for newspapers, albeit at a local rather than national level. I don't watch his videos and find the Football London site almost impossible to read, but to say he is not a 'proper' (whatever that is) journalist is to ignore his background.

The problem with Gold is two fold for me, regardless of background

- Partially because the company he works for, and partially because he's in the youtube/podcast frame now, his takes aren't "journalistic", if you ignore the fact that occasionally he can verify some factoid, there is very little difference between what he puts out and fan opinion (likely by design), it's just the narrative of the moment
- He fudging is supposed to cover Spurs and have some history, in his youtube brick, he often doesn't know/can't remember basic brick about us, i.e. a player squad number, fudges sake, not that hard

I've been, looking back, maybe harsh on Gold, I don't think he's particularly a top tier journo but he is harmless. My main gripe probably lies more on fans who claim he has some knowledge on what's going behind the scenes when he doesn't really, never seen him break any news.

As for Cowlin, I put him in grifter category

I've been, looking back, maybe harsh on Gold, I don't think he's particularly a top tier journo but he is harmless. My main gripe probably lies more on fans who claim he has some knowledge on what's going behind the scenes when he doesn't really, never seen him break any news.

As for Cowlin, I put him in grifter category

Gold is in my “annoying but harmless people I have learnt to ignore” pile

I don’t even know who the other bloke is

Gold is in my “annoying but harmless people I have learnt to ignore” pile

I don’t even know who the other bloke is

Exactly the same, it's become alot easier as he is now hidden amongst the Goldbridges of the YT world so is now in constant ignore

Back