• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Didn't Gold post on here once upon a time?

Or am I confusing him with someone else who went on to write about Spurs?

There was an Allygold on Spurs Community. Not sure about this place.

Yeah that was him. His articles on there were great. Very funny. Wish he stuck to that format.

His youtube vids are just a chat. He doesn't pretend to know much about transfers, just shares what he hears. He obviously has contacts in the club as he talks to coaches and players as per his job. But has said he's only said hello to daniel levy once.

Take him or leave him, it's up to you. He's just trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Not all 'citizen journalists' are necessarily annoying. I'm OK with We Are Tottenham TV on youtube. They keep their conversations fairly light, tight and bright and decently informative. They aren't self-aggrandizing or say controversial things just to get attention. They don't run on too long either.

I genuinely value your opinion here given your relevant work experience. Can you give examples as as above, I’ve always found him very fair when covering us. I actually think I prefer listening to him on TVFTL podcast than Danny Kelly, who lurches from one extreme reaction to the next and seems to be a far more obvious agent provocateur.

I've kept your comment in mind as I browse articles. Here's Eccleshare's contribution in an article about each club's Reasons to be Cheerful:

One single reason for Spurs fans to feel optimistic? Your manager is Ange Postecoglou. And how can that not convince you that somehow everything will be OK?
Even if Spurs were to lose to Fulham on Monday, he’ll just say something like, “Losing’s a part of life, mate” and everything won’t seem so bad.
Even if Spurs lose the next five games, he’ll somehow make things seem fine, like a reassuring father comforting their child after they’ve hurt their knee.
And the great thing is, Spurs are unlikely to lose their next one or five games because, under Postecoglou, they’re actually good again. Top of the league, in fact – it could be worse.

Can't argue that Big Ange is a reason for optimism. But instead of pointing out what he's doing to get improved performances from the likes of Bissouma, Romero, Porro or Son, or what he's done to get newcomers like Vicario, Udogie and Van de Ven settled in so quickly and effectively, he implies that if we lose, Big Ange is just going to shrug it off. Look at the abundant use of negative wording - lose, losing, worse - or the lame analogy of father and crying child. It's a crafty way to inject a pessimistic tone and, instead of boosting positive thoughts, the net effect is to get Spurs fans pondering about past under-achievements or the inevitable dip in performance so many expert pundits think will happen. Like it's no big deal to Ange. Of course Eccleshare thinks he'd treat a five game losing streak like it's fine. He's an Arsenal season ticket holder.

I'm surprised he left out these words after the final period. And soon.

I've kept your comment in mind as I browse articles. Here's Eccleshare's contribution in an article about each club's Reasons to be Cheerful:

One single reason for Spurs fans to feel optimistic? Your manager is Ange Postecoglou. And how can that not convince you that somehow everything will be OK?
Even if Spurs were to lose to Fulham on Monday, he’ll just say something like, “Losing’s a part of life, mate” and everything won’t seem so bad.
Even if Spurs lose the next five games, he’ll somehow make things seem fine, like a reassuring father comforting their child after they’ve hurt their knee.
And the great thing is, Spurs are unlikely to lose their next one or five games because, under Postecoglou, they’re actually good again. Top of the league, in fact – it could be worse.

Can't argue that Big Ange is a reason for optimism. But instead of pointing out what he's doing to get improved performances from the likes of Bissouma, Romero, Porro or Son, or what he's done to get newcomers like Vicario, Udogie and Van de Ven settled in so quickly and effectively, he implies that if we lose, Big Ange is just going to shrug it off. Look at the abundant use of negative wording - lose, losing, worse - or the lame analogy of father and crying child. It's a crafty way to inject a pessimistic tone and, instead of boosting positive thoughts, the net effect is to get Spurs fans pondering about past under-achievements or the inevitable dip in performance so many expert pundits think will happen. Like it's no big deal to Ange. Of course Eccleshare thinks he'd treat a five game losing streak like it's fine. He's an Arsenal season ticket holder.

I'm surprised he left these words after the final period. And soon.

If everyone stopped reading his articles. The athletic would replace him.

If everyone stopped reading his articles. The athletic would replace him.

I generally do but this tidbit was part of a report on each team by their beat writer so I didn't see the byline until I'd scrolled down to the end.

Tim Spiers has done some good articles on Spurs. Would like to see more.

Yeah that was him. His articles on there were great. Very funny. Wish he stuck to that format.

His youtube vids are just a chat. He doesn't pretend to know much about transfers, just shares what he hears. He obviously has contacts in the club as he talks to coaches and players as per his job. But has said he's only said hello to daniel levy once.

Take him or leave him, it's up to you. He's just trying to make a living like the rest of us.
Precisely.
Plus Ali Gold is one of the few journo's who ask questions at every press conference and travel on all pre-season tours, and does chat to lower-level people around the club, so he has some small insights.
He is always very open about that and very fair. It is his sidekick "Guesty" who is the drab northern miserable one.

Precisely.
Plus Ali Gold is one of the few journo's who ask questions at every press conference and travel on all pre-season tours, and does chat to lower-level people around the club, so he has some small insights.
He is always very open about that and very fair. It is his sidekick "Guesty" who is the drab northern miserable one.

I don't listen to their podcast.

Sorry but you haven’t read or quoted any of his other articles which talk about why we’re good again then

Thanks for taking the time to respond. What you’re saying actually does make sense. Though I’d ask further is it because he’s an Arsenal fan or is it because negativity is the currency that sells (gets clicks)?

Sorry but you haven’t read or quoted any of his other articles which talk about why we’re good againHoq then

How depressed do you want to get about how badly you've been hoodwinked by the Arse-lovin' journo you've quietly developed a man-crush for?

17256478_screenshot20230320140254twitter_jpeg5a6c3e932902eeeb9bc0cb3b9f600f91

Last edited:
How depressed do you want to get about how badly you've been hoodwinked by the Arse-lovin' journo you've quietly developed a man-crush for?

17256478_screenshot20230320140254twitter_jpeg5a6c3e932902eeeb9bc0cb3b9f600f91
As I say, I find him absolutely fine and generally complimentary
He is an Arsenal fan and iMO because of that he goes above and beyond to be professional

Whilst i can't stand Eccleshare on the "View from the Lane" pod (comes across as an arrogant, smug, know-all) to be fair to him I would never know he was a Woolwich fan from how he speaks about us.

I've asked you before but why do you care? If the press only spoke nicely about us would it make you enjoy the football you're watching more?

Do their opinions or posts actually make any tangible difference to what you're watching and how you enjoy it?

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

He’s a very gifted writer when he’s given the freedom to do it. One of the best I’ve seen. However, his employer doesn’t give him the room to do it and he has to make a pound…

Back