• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

This Means More Tears.

Just to keep us all even keeled, The Athletic just posted an article showing us having only the eighth best expected goal differential - 0.51, as opposed to ManCity's leading xGD of 1.21.

And they show that, through our first eight games we've had the sixth softest start to the season. The next five games will provide us with a sterner test with the fifth hardest set of fixtures.

So there. Enjoy your dinner.

This Means More Tears.

Just to keep us all even keeled, The Athletic just posted an article showing us having only the eighth best expected goal differential - 0.51, as opposed to ManCity's leading xGD of 1.21.

And they show that, through our first eight games we've had the sixth softest start to the season. The next five games will provide us with a sterner test with the fifth hardest set of fixtures.

Serious relegation fears. Nothing more.

This Means More Tears.

Makes you wonder why we even bother playing the games, save a lot of time and effort if we just let the experts and statisticians tell us the results of all the games in August and hand the trophies out then.

This Means More Tears.

That's a hilarious stat - it can only be accurately judged using end of season data :D

that can only be based on years old empirical data and not form - for instance are Brighton considered a hard game historically? Probably not. Similarly Everton are probably classed as being harder to beat than the reality of their current form.

We've beaten Utd, Liverpool and drawn away to the goons - those are not three easy games. So that's 37.5% of the games have been tough. With the exception of playing Emirates Marketing Project I can't think of three harder teams than those three other than possibly Toon?

The Athletic is usually decent but I do wonder if they are trying a bit hard to justify their fee with that one.

Makes you wonder why we even bother playing the games, save a lot of time and effort if we just let t experts and statisticians hetell us the results of all the games in August and hand the trophies out then.

What else would these muppets( experts and statisticians)do if not bring out all these usless stats.

3 of our first 4 games were away with that being 5 of our first 8 away.

3 of Arsenals first 4 games were at home and they struggled in all of them. 5 of Arsenal first 8 games were at home. They have played 4 teams who finished in the bottom half of the table last season with 3 of them finishing 17th 16th and 15th and were also in a relegation battle.

They have played Us, United and City and we have played them, United and Liverpool. I would say our fixtures so far have been pretty much identical it terms of quality.

that can only be based on years old empirical data and not form - for instance are Brighton considered a hard game historically? Probably not. Similarly Everton are probably classed as being harder to beat than the reality of their current form.

We've beaten Utd, Liverpool and drawn away to the goons - those are not three easy games. So that's 37.5% of the games have been tough. With the exception of playing Emirates Marketing Project I can't think of three harder teams than those three other than possibly Toon?

The Athletic is usually decent but I do wonder if they are trying a bit hard to justify their fee with that one.

If you're on a PC computer, Immersive Reader is your fee-saving friend. Right click on the photo illustrating the article. Look along the dropdown menu and click on I.R. The article appears in full, minus linked videos or social media links. But it retains all words, photos (incl. ones I supply) and graphics that would otherwise be unreadable behind the paywall barrier that pops up once you've scrolled down into the initial presentation of the article.

I'll never give The Athletic the first flying farthing ever again. Or at least until they stop using an Arsenal season ticket holder - Charlie Eccleshare - as a beat writer on Spurs.

When I barked about it, they said that his editor - Alex KY Jelski - was a Spurs fan and would ensure all things written about Spurs would be fair. Right. Fat fcukin' chance that worked out. Can you imagine the reverse scenario with a Shelfsider being the beat writer for their Arsenal coverage? Fat fcukin' chance period.

Last edited:
If you're on a PC computer, Immersive Reader is your fee-saving friend. Right click on the photo illustrating the article. Look along the dropdown menu and click on I.R. The article appears in full, minus linked videos or social media links. But it retains all words, photos (incl. ones I supply) and graphics that would otherwise be unreadable behind the paywall barrier that pops up once you've scrolled down into the initial presentation of the article.

I'll never give The Athletic the first flying farthing ever again. Or at least until they stop using an Arsenal season ticket holder - Charlie Eccleshare - as a beat writer on Spurs.

When I barked about it, they said that his editor - Alex KY Jelski - was a Spurs fan and would ensure all things written about Spurs would be fair. Right. Fat fcukin' chance that worked out. Can you imagine the reverse scenario with a Shelfsider being the beat writer for their Arsenal coverage? Fat fcukin' chance period.

You've gone on about this before. I think Eccleshare is very fair, if he is an arsenal fan. The Athletic's issue is they must write something each week, so the quality is diluted.

I don't have time to go back and dig out samples of Eccleshare's skullduggery but, as a former wire service and newspaper copy editor, I can spot a crafty writer, shrewdly shaping articles in a way that invites readers to make negative comments in reaction to what he presents. His past work with Arsenal fanzines and The Telegraph are full of malicious mischief against Spurs. The Athletic has only forced him to be more careful.

Like I said, the inverse arrangement - well known Spurs fan covering Arsenal - just wouldn't be tolerated by their fans and readers. So for all the editor's brave posturing at the point of hiring, it pre-shades everything I read on there.

The last fair Arsenal-loving journalist who wrote about Spurs was John Ley of the Telegraph.

I don't have time to go back and dig out samples of Eccleshare's skullduggery but, as a former wire service and newspaper copy editor, I can spot a crafty writer, shrewdly shaping articles in a way that invites readers to make negative comments in reaction to what he presents. His past work with Arsenal fanzines and The Telegraph are full of malicious mischief against Spurs. The Athletic has only forced him to be more careful.

Like I said, the inverse arrangement - well known Spurs fan covering Arsenal - just wouldn't be tolerated by their fans and readers. So for all the editor's brave posturing at the point of hiring, it pre-shades everything I read on there.

The last fair Arsenal-loving journalist who wrote about Spurs was John Ley of the Telegraph.
I genuinely value your opinion here given your relevant work experience. Can you give examples as as above, I’ve always found him very fair when covering us. I actually think I prefer listening to him on TVFTL podcast than Danny Kelly, who lurches from one extreme reaction to the next and seems to be a far more obvious agent provocateur.

He is an Arsenal fan
But he writes about spurs in a very fair and informed way

Big of him to say that. The Harbaugh brothers have been a mainly bright presence on the sidelines of American football.

I still can't support the Ravens, scurrilously founded as they were by moving truckloads of the original Cleveland Browns office and playing equipment out of Cleveland in the middle of the night. I'm a Green Bay fan so anything in purple(incl. Minnesota) is anathema to my sporting instincts.

My son is a Browns fan. Earth tones forever.

Big of him to say that. The Harbaugh brothers have been a mainly bright presence on the sidelines of American football.

I still can't support the Ravens, scurrilously founded as they were by moving truckloads of the original Cleveland Browns office and playing equipment out of Cleveland in the middle of the night. I'm a Green Bay fan so anything in purple(incl. Minnesota) is anathema to my sporting instincts.

My son is a Browns fan. Earth tones forever.

The way sporting teams sell up and move to an other place is the most terrible thing about North American sport to me. If we moved from north London I would never have any interest or love for the club again. I can move around but my heart will always be in Tottenham.

I live five time zones west of you but I only have to drive 30 mins. north of Toronto to be in Tottenham. Lovely little town.

Pond_3_sept14.jpg

63d1adb223ecf.image.jpg

Back