• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

At the end of the day we all knew we needed a long term project manager and the win now manager wasn't a good fit. Now we have it we have to be patient.

People need to listen to Ange and his comments about the project and philosophy. Tearing down the walls to rebuild this squad was never a year one thing.

Last edited:
At the end of the day we all knew we needed a long term project manager and the win now manager wasn't a good for. Now we have it we have to be patient.

People need to listen to Ange and his comments about the project and philosophy. Tearing down the walls to rebuild this squad was never a year one thing.
I don’t think he needs long term
He has got players who looked incapable of playing… playing great footy
For me that shows how quickly he can change bad habits if the tools are there

He has January for 1/2 players in
And the summer when we will bring in a similar number to this summer

Then he will be set imo

Then he will be set imo

He is ahead of what I expected, but I am willing to take the dumps on the basis we know we needed to go through the short term pain fo rwhat we all know we needed and that was a longer term philosophy.

He is ahead of what I expected, but I am willing to take the dumps on the basis we know we needed to go through the short term pain fo rwhat we all know we needed and that was a longer term philosophy.
This season and this period is the pain imo
i stand by what I’ve seen so much of under Ange… the football is better than anything I’ve seen as a spurs fan being played by inferior players

imagine the peak Poch team with Ange football… and that’s not saying we didn’t play great footy under Poch

Then he will be set imo

A little luck with injuries will help as well

But generally agree -> Dier, Skipp, Sessegnon, PEH, Perisic, maybe Richarlison move on by summer, 4 more come in, system settled, we will be interesting to watch

i stand by what I’ve seen so much of under Ange… the football is better than anything I’ve seen as a spurs fan being played by inferior players

imagine the peak Poch team with Ange football… and that’s not saying we didn’t play great footy under Poch

And at the end of the day we have players that by contract alone will be leaving in the next year, those will be replaced and our recent record on replacing players is very very good.

Ange has also been backed in getting the pieces he specifically wanted, thats key, wanted Madders, got him, got him early, want Johnson, got him, wanted MVDV because of his attitude over anyone else, same with Viccy, we got them. Ange is pulling the strings, as I said before he is an open book on that. Nowhere near in a bad place

Mopos first season saw a lot of lows, think Stoke did the double over us? He had a better squad as well, this season was always going to be like this.

We've got a very good 11 and then the drop off is massive, with the exception of bent coming in for one of Biss/Sarr

The only thing I would have like to have seen done differently is a youngster coming in at CB, it's a free hit

At the end of the day we all knew we needed a long term project manager and the win now manager wasn't a good for. Now we have it we have to be patient.

I don't see there is much of a problem. We just need a little more depth in key areas namely CB and playmaker role, if the drop off wasnt so significant then we would be easily in the top 4, maybe still top who knows . We was never going to achieve that squad depth this season, hence why I never believed we would have a crack at the title. But we will be in the mix for CL places, of that I have no doubt and the performance whilst missing so many is encouraging. We could have easily won that game and no one would have batted an eyelid....

A little luck with injuries will help as well

But generally agree -> Dier, Skipp, Sessegnon, PEH, Perisic, maybe Richarlison move on by summer, 4 more come in, system settled, we will be interesting to watch
We have a lot more wiggle room this summer with wages, must be close to 500 a week coming off the books when contracts expire.

That's before selling.

and before that a ridiculous back pass from Gil that put Vic under huge pressure
I think we may have been doing that thing that tinkled Ange off in the pre-season game v Shakthar of just trying to see it out till HT and stopped playing normally?

You had the Gill back pass, the Porro error trying to nuts someone on the edge of our box and I think there was one other crazy thing happened in that time as well? I was praying for HT for the last 2 or 3 minutes.

Ange will be a success here and he'll entertain the life out of us. The football is great. But I'll nail my colours to the mast - he won't have us challenging for the league for a number of reasons.

1. We're not well enough resourced to do it. Unless the oil clubs get severely punished, Ange is in a gunfight with nothing more than a knife. Even if they do get punished, there are a couple of clubs I don't see us challenging.
2. He's inflexible in his approach. The game against Chelsea was incredible and I loved how brave we were. But it was kamikaze stuff. It worked on the night to an extent because it stunned an ordinary Chelsea and they weren't sure what to do but other clubs will pick that approach off if we do it again...which Ange said we would. I get there were exceptional circumstances that night but the fundamental issue is still there even with 11. Wolves also got a lot of joy against us with simple long diagonals over our defence. Clubs will figure us out.
3. To underscore the above, I've said this in the match thread - how we defended the free kick yesterday was mad stuff made madder by the personnel we had at CB.
4. Ange is too idealistic. He won't allow our players to brickhouse, there will be no "game management".

And you know what, I'm more than okay with the above. I love his style of football and I love his principles. I came out of the stadium yesterday feeling not nearly as bad as I've usually done after defeats. I came out of there disappointed because we deserved better but felt entertained by some brilliant football. I compare that with the Villa game last year where we lost 2-0 and were insipid beyond belief.

Ange will get us challenging top 4, he may even win a cup. I'd back him completely if I was Levy. But there won't be the upward trajectory I think some people are expecting.

1. We're not well enough resourced to do it. Unless the oil clubs get severely punished, Ange is in a gunfight with nothing more than a knife. Even if they do get punished, there are a couple of clubs I don't see us challenging.
But that’s nothing to do with Ange. It would be the case with anyone, no?

Ange will be a success here and he'll entertain the life out of us. The football is great. But I'll nail my colours to the mast - he won't have us challenging for the league for a number of reasons.

2. He's inflexible in his approach. The game against Chelsea was incredible and I loved how brave we were. But it was kamikaze stuff. It worked on the night to an extent because it stunned an ordinary Chelsea and they weren't sure what to do but other clubs will pick that approach off if we do it again...which Ange said we would. I get there were exceptional circumstances that night but the fundamental issue is still there even with 11. Wolves also got a lot of joy against us with simple long diagonals over our defence. Clubs will figure us out.
3. To underscore the above, I've said this in the match thread - how we defended the free kick yesterday was mad stuff made madder by the personnel we had at CB.
4. Ange is too idealistic. He won't allow our players to brickhouse, there will be no "game management".

And you know what, I'm more than okay with the above. I love his style of football and I love his principles. I came out of the stadium yesterday feeling not nearly as bad as I've usually done after defeats. I came out of there disappointed because we deserved better but felt entertained by some brilliant football. I compare that with the Villa game last year where we lost 2-0 and were insipid beyond belief.

Ange will get us challenging top 4, he may even win a cup. I'd back him completely if I was Levy. But there won't be the upward trajectory I think some people are expecting.

are you sure that the high line against Chelsea wasn't game management? If I were Ange and I was trying to make a statement to fans after just being spanked 1-4 having gone down to 9 men, I would say that saying "we will always go for it" is a great way to get adulation.
Also - there is game management built into every single element of Ange's play - the management takes the form of having the ball, being positive with it and when the opposition have it getting it back quick. That IS game management and when we need to manage an opponent out of a game, whatever the circumstances, Ange ball is designed to ensure we do that. Sure it might not always work, but we're not dealing in binary scenarios, the ability of the opposition and also mistakes on our part will come into play.

You don't win trophies being brainless, whatever the league.

But that’s nothing to do with Ange. It would be the case with anyone, no?
Yeah absolutely. It’s not a criticism of him. I’d said in the summer that I think Levy has done an incredible job to get us where he has on and off the pitch. But that progress stalled a few years ago because he’s too fiscally cautious and he’s competing with bottomless pits of money. He does okay on the transfer fee side IMO, we’re one of the league’s top spenders but we don’t really compete on the wages side which means we’ll never sign top players. His model of ownership has reached its limit by getting us challenging top 4 barring a lucky season here or there.

So it’s not a criticism of Levy, who has done a remarkable job all things considered, or Ange who I think is doing a terrific job. It’s just the reality of where we are.

Yeah absolutely. It’s not a criticism of him. I’d said in the summer that I think Levy has done an incredible job to get us where he has on and off the pitch. But that progress stalled a few years ago because he’s too fiscally cautious and he’s competing with bottomless pits of money. He does okay on the transfer fee side IMO, we’re one of the league’s top spenders but we don’t really compete on the wages side which means we’ll never sign top players. His model of ownership has reached its limit by getting us challenging top 4 barring a lucky season here or there.

So it’s not a criticism of Levy, who has done a remarkable job all things considered, or Ange who I think is doing a terrific job. It’s just the reality of where we are.
I definitely agree with you. The only thing I would add is that Conte and Mourinho only wanted top of the line players. Ange is far happier (and sometimes prefers) ‘cheaper’ players who will fit the philosophy better. That obviously helps and I think we can get back to the level of Poch’s 2015-18 and potentially challenge for the league, although we’re always going to be relying on a couple of the cashed up teams to have a poor season, as we did under Poch.

I definitely agree with you. The only thing I would add is that Conte and Mourinho only wanted top of the line players. Ange is far happier (and sometimes prefers) ‘cheaper’ players who will fit the philosophy better. That obviously helps and I think we can get back to the level of Poch’s 2015-18 and potentially challenge for the league, although we’re always going to be relying on a couple of the cashed up teams to have a poor season, as we did under Poch.

I agree here, funnily enough though I think Ange will avail of a top talent eventually as being able to build a side better means he will one summer not need much at all and we can sprinkle some dust

I agree here, funnily enough though I think Ange will avail of a top talent eventually as being able to build a side better means he will one summer not need much at all and we can sprinkle some dust
I have my doubts. The key to signing top players is wages. We have the lowest wages to turnover ratio in the league and have had it for a very long time. Levy also very much wants to structure payments to players to be as performance based as possible. That’s a brilliant philosophy from a business and sustainability perspective and I do admire and appreciate him for it.

However, I don’t think it’s a strategy that will ever allow us to compete for really top players. And that’s where I think Levy has brought us as far as he can. Unless he has a massive change in approach or the league gets some very strict control over wages (which could be a problem with Saudi offering unlimited wages), we’re forever going to be competing for very good players with potential rather than ready made superstars.

Back