• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Thanks for that. I think he's recovered the situation and explained his position really well. I'm more all in on him than I've been after this week. I love the fact he admitted he got it wrong and I fully respect his viewpoint on it.

Two other things I'll say about Ange in today's press conferences. He is strong with the media in that, like Fergie, he controls that relationship. You can see here and in others that it can become a bit awkward when someone asks something stupid or goes somewhere they shouldn't or labours a point. Fergie was more of a tyrant about it but I think Ange controls the narrative pretty well and that's very important.

Secondly, I loved the bit from the other clip about the fan he got involved with. At the time, I thought it was a bad move but when he explained it, I absolutely loved it. "Yeah, we had words but he's welcome to take his seat next time and voice his opinions but if he does it that way, I'll react the same." Mature and respectful of the fans. Other managers, and some of the ones we've had, would have used their power to have that fan moved or ejected.

Again, good on Ange, he really couldn't have handled today any better and I was very concerned about how it might go.
I've hung on his every word this week. Why? Because this is the important stuff. Yes we need to play progressive attacking football to entertain, and yes we need to score more goals, and concede less, but the psychological bit around changing our fundamental approach to the game, and removing the chip we have on our shoulder, that is absolutely priceless.

For too long there's been a culture of "not quite good enough" within Tottenham, we've gone into the finals we have reached not fully believing we could win, we have fallen short in title challenges and generally the mood of the fans has reflected the way the staff at the club have felt deep down.

I firmly believe that if Ange gets time to make the changes he sees necessary, there will be a day soon when every OMT is about how much we think we will win by, how the players will rise to the occasion of beating city/goons/utd/cheatski, and how the latest young player has come through the ranks, and having been immersed in our winning culture is contributing far more than young players have in the past for us.

That's what being a big club means to me, and if I had my way Ange would have a 10 year contract.

Something I don't really get about other teams getting CL football is that we got that for some time, went all the way to the final five years ago... and look where we are now. Arsenal missed out for six years in a row and they are challenging for the title. Of course, it's better to be in than out but there's so much money in the PL at the moment that playing in the CL is not something that sets you apart for ever. It would have been nice to qualify but missing out isn't the end of the world, in my opinion.
My goodness you are still around? How are you sir?

I've hung on his every word this week. Why? Because this is the important stuff. Yes we need to play progressive attacking football to entertain, and yes we need to score more goals, and concede less, but the psychological bit around changing our fundamental approach to the game, and removing the chip we have on our shoulder, that is absolutely priceless.

For too long there's been a culture of "not quite good enough" within Tottenham, we've gone into the finals we have reached not fully believing we could win, we have fallen short in title challenges and generally the mood of the fans has reflected the way the staff at the club have felt deep down.

I firmly believe that if Ange gets time to make the changes he sees necessary, there will be a day soon when every OMT is about how much we think we will win by, how the players will rise to the occasion of beating city/goons/utd/cheatski, and how the latest young player has come through the ranks, and having been immersed in our winning culture is contributing far more than young players have in the past for us.

That's what being a big club means to me, and if I had my way Ange would have a 10 year contract.

And like any successful manager he needs the two commodities that unites them all, time and money

Yep well there is the crux

But on time its telling that he will be the first manager in an age to end the season having started it, two summers in a row, massively rare. No wonder we are playing catch up in a big way
I honestly think from Levy's comments when appointing Ange that he has learnt his lesson and will give Ange the necessary time for him to properly prove himself. Still see suggestions that if he doesn't secure CL Levy will fire him (regarding next season) but I think the Jose/Conte win now approach has made him realise what really works at a club like this and that as long as he sees progression ( doesn't necessarily mean higher league placing every season) then Ange will get the necessary time, tools and opportunity to really do something here.

Of course much is still down to the fans, if they turn experience tells you a managers position becomes almost untenable. But that and/or really being in a lowly league position I think Levy is seeing Ange for the longer term. I get the impression he was really disappointed, perhaps even hurt at the way things panned out with his attempts with 'elite' managers, and such an experience has made him see things more clearly in terms of a successful future vision. But of course only time will tell....

My goodness you are still around? How are you sir?
Well, I'm fine, thank you for asking! You probably missed it but I did post semi-regularly this season! You tend to fade into the background when you grow older ;)

Unsurprisingly, as the world is on the verge of total destruction, I'm enjoying the best time of my life profesionally! So, I will probably continue to spout nonsense - albeit sporadically - on here for the time being but it's always nice to 'see' familiar faces around here... if only because they tend to be more indulgent with old-timers like me!

I honestly think from Levy's comments when appointing Ange that he has learnt his lesson and will give Ange the necessary time for him to properly prove himself. Still see suggestions that if he doesn't secure CL Levy will fire him (regarding next season) but I think the Jose/Conte win now approach has made him realise what really works at a club like this and that as long as he sees progression ( doesn't necessarily mean higher league placing every season) then Ange will get the necessary time, tools and opportunity to really do something here.

Of course much is still down to the fans, if they turn experience tells you a managers position becomes almost untenable. But that and/or really being in a lowly league position I think Levy is seeing Ange for the longer term. I get the impression he was really disappointed, perhaps even hurt at the way things panned out with his attempts with 'elite' managers, and such an experience has made him see things more clearly in terms of a successful future vision. But of course only time will tell....
Reality is to compete with City (and Chelsea before) you need to make a high percentage of good decisions and find a manager you have belief in and stick with him. Easier said than done.

But Liverpool found the right man, and Arsenal have stuck by their man and are coming close, so if is doable. We are now (thanks to the previous decade in our case) all financially in a similar position.

So it's a cycle and we have to be brave and strong. There are no short cuts. I think Levy knows this now and has started to put the layers in place and delegate areas that need expertise to experts. I think Ange, just by his character and the way he is with the media and fans, represents the club in a way that will resonate with Levy and that will buy him far more time than just the results metric.

Ange will be here for at least the next 2 seasons minimum imo.
(As you mentioned, the biggest danger to that is us fans... unfortunately)

the sequences we put together brought home to roost the lack of a top class forward.

Kane, Defoe, Ferdinand, Keane, Berbatov, Klinsmann, Lineker, Greaves, hell even Pav or Armstrong would thrive in this team.

I don't have much gripe with Ange, but his idea that Sonny can play as a 9 is for me flawed. From the left with a top class forward, he's effective. With nobody in the middle to draw players away / provide the focus Son is found wanting.
He's one of the best wide left forwards in the world.

He's one of the worst centre forwards in the league.

Thanks for that. I think he's recovered the situation and explained his position really well. I'm more all in on him than I've been after this week. I love the fact he admitted he got it wrong and I fully respect his viewpoint on it.

Two other things I'll say about Ange in today's press conferences. He is strong with the media in that, like Fergie, he controls that relationship. You can see here and in others that it can become a bit awkward when someone asks something stupid or goes somewhere they shouldn't or labours a point. Fergie was more of a tyrant about it but I think Ange controls the narrative pretty well and that's very important.

Secondly, I loved the bit from the other clip about the fan he got involved with. At the time, I thought it was a bad move but when he explained it, I absolutely loved it. "Yeah, we had words but he's welcome to take his seat next time and voice his opinions but if he does it that way, I'll react the same." Mature and respectful of the fans. Other managers, and some of the ones we've had, would have used their power to have that fan moved or ejected.

Again, good on Ange, he really couldn't have handled today any better and I was very concerned about how it might go.

Just to point out (at least from my perspective).

1) I didn't see him saying he got it wrong. What I saw him say is that he got wrong the fact that many of our supporters genuinely did want us to lose/potentially deny the goons rather than beat the champions. He said he thought people were joking!

2) I didn't hear anything inconsistent with what he's said all year.

People were leaping to all sorts of conclusions post-Tuesday, I even saw people saying he shouldn't be telling supporters 'what to think' when he actually said the opposite (as he has done consistently). He simply said he didn't get it and he repeated that. He understands rivalries, I simply think he doesn't think any rivalry should result in wanting your team to essentially throw a match so as rivals suffer great hurt.

Regardless mate, I'm glad everyone at least heard him yesterday :)

Just to point out (at least from my perspective).

1) I didn't see him saying he got it wrong. What I saw him say is that he got wrong the fact that many of our supporters genuinely did want us to lose/potentially deny the goons rather than beat the champions. He said he thought people were joking!

2) I didn't hear anything inconsistent with what he's said all year.

People were leaping to all sorts of conclusions post-Tuesday, I even saw people saying he shouldn't be telling supporters 'what to think' when he actually said the opposite (as he has done consistently). He simply said he didn't get it and he repeated that. He understands rivalries, I simply think he doesn't think any rivalry should result in wanting your team to essentially throw a match so as rivals suffer great hurt.

Regardless mate, I'm glad everyone at least heard him yesterday :)
Yeah agreed on the getting it wrong Steff. I respect his viewpoint on it and I’d never expect him to admit that was wrong. He just misjudged the mood a bit and I’m happy to see he’s big enough to admit that. I also like the fact he threw none of his staff under the bus when the journo was driving at whether they wanted spurs to lose. To say “you want a head on a stick, it’s mine. I misjudged it.”

Great way to shut the conversation down and lead a group. Can’t imagine Jose or Conte ever saying anything like that.

The new stadium was how we capitalised on those qualifications.

We’ve increased ongoing revenue massively.

You still need to improve the team. Even the best teams in the world bring in players to freshen things up or to give the existing squad a boost. Unlikely we were going to improve as a result of not spending when everyone else around us spent money on players either trying to catch us or remain ahead of us.

You still need to improve the team. Even the best teams in the world bring in players to freshen things up or to give the existing squad a boost. Unlikely we were going to improve as a result of not spending when everyone else around us spent money on players either trying to catch us or remain ahead of us.
Are you saying we haven’t spent?

I hope with some new signings. BJ managing to put more of his chances away. And everyone whose form has fallen off the cliff come back strong. Looking forward to seeing Lucas. And hope we have a season where our injury list doesn't take a battering.

And we Play quicker

Back