• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Easier opposition, more room for rotation if we manage to get a squad together that's good enough. Chance for younger players (already here and new) to get meaningful game time to develop in an Ange system at a slightly lower level than CL football.

Not saying it will be enough to compensate for the downsides of EL compared to CL, but rather that there are positives to EL too and that it's at least plausible that it's better for our development over time.

Or buy players in the summer that are good enough to rotate in the cl and prem? Our youngsters will be better off getting loans, to get regular game time. Bring them into the squad when they are ready to challenge for a place in the team. Rather than be bench warmers for most of the season. Hampering their development.

Or buy players in the summer that are good enough to rotate in the cl and prem? Our youngsters will be better off getting loans, to get regular game time. Bring them into the squad when they are ready to challenge for a place in the team. Rather than be bench warmers for most of the season. Hampering their development.
Sure, if that's possible for the X number of positions where we need improvement in the first team and/or squad.

I think even with CL football the realistic outcome would include players that will need some time to develop to get players with the potential to go where we want to go. I also think that player development side is an important part of our overall strategy.

I also think there's a benefit to developing players here, in our team, in our style rather than out on loan. Loan moves are often hit and miss, usually to a somewhat lower level anyway.

Sure, if that's possible for the X number of positions where we need improvement in the first team and/or squad.

I think even with CL football the realistic outcome would include players that will need some time to develop to get players with the potential to go where we want to go. I also think that player development side is an important part of our overall strategy.

I also think there's a benefit to developing players here, in our team, in our style rather than out on loan. Loan moves are often hit and miss, usually to a somewhat lower level anyway.

With either cl or el we're going to have a lot more games next season. Especially with the new format. We'll be rotating. We'll have to.

And probably much healthier for it mentally as result.
I'm sure our own club does much of the heavy lifting for negative mental health effects for many of our fans (the evidence is out there, in spades) :)

As @billyiddo says, this is, and always has been, football fandom....I'm sure it's not difficult to figure out that none of it is serious enough to have an invasive impact mentally.

Besides...It's schadenfreude we are after

the best way to do it is to get the qualification and then have a plan in place to recruit based on us being there. That way we can recruit with the promise of extra cash already from the appearances (which goes from 6 to 8 games minimum, with another two/four if you end up in the playoffs with the new format) and the lure of champions league.

I think Ange wants players who want to play for the badge whatever the competition, but the ability to say "oh and we're in the champions league" has to help decide a player's destination.
Look who we have signed when we haven't had that to offer.

If that player that we have bugeted for decides he wants to play cl football. We're not getting him.

Villa can attract better players with cl football. It also helps them with psr.
Players want to play for the teams that pay them the highest wages. Typically that is teams in the Champions League, hence why the quote 'I want to play Champions League football is used'. However give a player a chance of playing for (e.g.) Ajax and (e.g.) West Ham and every player will choose the latter, despite the former pretty much always being the CL and the latter never being in it.

Wages are the key. We have a higher wage bill than Villa and therefore, given a straight choice, pretty much any player would join THFC instead of Aston Villa. Just as any player would join Man Utd over THFC.

Players want to play for the teams that pay them the highest wages. Typically that is teams in the Champions League, hence why you the quote 'I want to play Champions League football is used'. However give a player a chance of playing for (e.g.) Ajax and (e.g.) West Ham and every player will choose the latter, despite the former pretty much always being the CL and the latter never being in it.

Wages are the key. We have a higher wage bill than Villa and therefore, given a straight choice, pretty much any player would join THFC instead of Aston Villa. Just as any player would join Man Utd over THFC.

It can be that simple

I did read that both bill and spurs want Nico Williams who is rumoured to be on £200k plus already

Just watching Ange’s press conference highlights on Sky Sports News…prickly! He was so cross he even made eye contact with the questioner a couple of times.

The conference as a whole was a bit more mellow, but, yes, that little bit where he challenged the proportion of Spurs fans...must have made the reporter squirm a bit.
I liked how he joked later with another one about living in a social media bubble to get an idea of the percentage of Spurs fans who thought that way about throwing the game.

Players want to play for the teams that pay them the highest wages. Typically that is teams in the Champions League, hence why the quote 'I want to play Champions League football is used'. However give a player a chance of playing for (e.g.) Ajax and (e.g.) West Ham and every player will choose the latter, despite the former pretty much always being the CL and the latter never being in it.

When did i say a player would choose villa over spurs? Or even that wages weren't a factor?

Please argue what i actually said, don't invent a strawman.

I’m struggling to remember if we did actually get better, with better players, when we were in the champions league.

We bought Ndombele and it went the opposite way.

I think we'd be better off in the CL. No question for me. But do I want that at the price of Woolwich winning the league?

Not sure I do. Is that petty? Maybe. But football is emotional rather than logical for me and part of me really doesn't want them winning the league at any cost.
My love for Tottenham outstrips my hate for Arsenal....

Especially since we have a chance with cl. Even though some fans are trying to convince themselves we'd be better off in the el.

I just don't get it. I'll always want the best for spurs. Other teams can do what they want. It either some fans hate arsenal more than they love spurs. Or are just scarred of getting a bit of stick from arsenal fans.
Agreed.
Although I actually think EL would be good. It'll be a chance to build a solid winning mentality.

We've got further in the cl than el.
I know. But none of those players are here now.
I think a good focus on the EL would be positive. Next season will be a big challenge - teams know how to exploit us. Ange will have keep embedding the philosophy whilst moving onto the next phases - defensive stability and set pieces. I'd love to see us push to win the EL.

I know. But none of those players are here now.
I think a good focus on the EL would be positive. Next season will be a big challenge - teams know how to exploit us. Ange will have keep embedding the philosophy whilst moving onto the next phases - defensive stability and set pieces. I'd love to see us push to win the EL.

If we're in it ofcourse we should try and win it. But cl is what we should want.

Back