• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

I don't think it's best for us at this stage to be in the Champions League anyway. We don't have a squad capable of being rotated and progressing in the domestic cups, so to add the top European comp on top of that seems premature.

I'd rather the Europa, embedded players, playing style, and proper squad rotation in a less pressured environment. Villa will suffer the same fate as Saudi Sportswashing Machine did this season. Even our run to the final was against the backdrop of shocking league form.

Think that's why Ange keeps reiterating that it's not 'important', especially as he sees us ahead of where he thought we would be.

TLDR: Spirited 1 goal loss to City would be acceptable.

I don't think it's best for us at this stage to be in the Champions League anyway. We don't have a squad capable of being rotated and progressing in the domestic cups, so to add the top European comp on top of that seems premature.

I'd rather the Europa, embedded players, playing style, and proper squad rotation in a less pressured environment. Villa will suffer the same fate as Saudi Sportswashing Machine did this season. Even our run to the final was against the backdrop of shocking league form.

Think that's why Ange keeps reiterating that it's not 'important', especially as he sees us ahead of where he thought we would be.

TLDR: Spirited 1 goal loss to City would be acceptable.

So you'd be happy to take £100m from our turnover and give it to villa? Letting them attract better players in the process. That doesn't help us it helps our rival.

Villa will also not have to play thursday sunday so will get better breaks between games.

the best way to do it is to get the qualification and then have a plan in place to recruit based on us being there. That way we can recruit with the promise of extra cash already from the appearances (which goes from 6 to 8 games minimum, with another two/four if you end up in the playoffs with the new format) and the lure of champions league.

I think Ange wants players who want to play for the badge whatever the competition, but the ability to say "oh and we're in the champions league" has to help decide a player's destination.

So you'd be happy to take £100m from our turnover and give it to villa? Letting them attract better players in the process. That doesn't help us it helps our rival.

Villa will also not have to play thursday sunday so will get better breaks between games.
We're not getting the best players Champions League or not. We're getting the players already identified and budgeted for, that are believed will fit into our model.

Villa haven't got the best players, they've got an embedded system, a longer time playing it and players that have added to what the manager wants to do. It's the same mob that Gerrard was dragging down. Now they've established that, they're are in a position to add on top.

I'm not reading him as saying he's happy about us having a lower turnover.

Rather that there are advantages and disadvantages both to CL and EL football. Money and being able to attract more players are obvious advantages to CL football. But I think the advantages of EL football at this stage are significant as well.

Perhaps a stretch to say that overall getting EL will be better for us than CL. I don't think that's possible to know. But I can understand thinking that this may be our best path to continued growth and development.

We're not getting the best players Champions League or not. We're getting the players already identified and budgeted for, that are believed will fit into our model.

Villa haven't got the best players, they've got an embedded system, a longer time playing it and players that have added to what the manager wants to do. It's the same mob that Gerrard was dragging down. Now they've established that, they're are in a position to add on top.

If that player that we have bugeted for decides he wants to play cl football. We're not getting him.

Villa can attract better players with cl football. It also helps them with psr.

If that player that we have bugeted for decides he wants to play cl football. We're not getting him.

Villa can attract better players with cl football. It also helps them with psr.
Most players will want to play in the CL.

Most players will realise that the chances of being regularly in the CL over time is higher here than at Villa even if they get CL this season.

If short term being in the CL next season is the decisive factor, so be it, move on to the next target. We've made excellent signings recently while not being in the CL.

I think getting into the CL places next season will be more important.

We're still a bigger pull than Villa rightly or wrongly.

Based in London and have a recent pedigree of competing. We're also known to have an infrastructure that is more likely to have a higher achievement and sustainability.

Nobody said we weren't. I said that we can miss on players not being in the cl (i never said we'd lose them to villa). I also said villa could attract better players being in the cl and that they would not have to worry about psr next season as they will have a huge boost to turnover.

Without cl we will be weaker. Villa will be stronger. That isn't good for us.

Nobody said we weren't. I said that we can miss on players not being in the cl (i never said we'd lose them to villa). I also said villa could attract better players being in the cl and that they would not have to worry about psr next season as they will have a huge boost to turnover.

Time will tell. A year in the EL could make us a lot stronger outweighing the short term benefits of CL football.

I’d say you’re in a very small minority.

And just because you think or feel something, it doesn’t mean it’s right - so I’ll ignore the lecture, ta, and go on enjoying the rivalry.
You do that.
I'll carry on supporting Tottenham, rather than hoping we lose.

Time will tell. A year in the EL could make us a lot stronger outweighing the short term benefits of CL football.

Why would it make us stronger compared to a year in the cl? It will actually be harder competing in the league as we'd have to play thursday sunday.

Buying into rivalry is fun and healthy. Wanting Arsenal to lose is absolutely fine.
Wanting Tottenham to lose so Arsenal lose is self harm.

Especially since we have a chance with cl. Even though some fans are trying to convince themselves we'd be better off in the el.

I just don't get it. I'll always want the best for spurs. Other teams can do what they want. It either some fans hate arsenal more than they love spurs. Or are just scarred of getting a bit of stick from arsenal fans.

Especially since we have a chance with cl. Even though some fans are trying to convince themselves we'd be better off in the el.

I just don't get it. I'll always want the best for spurs. Other teams can do what they want. It either some fans hate arsenal more than they love spurs. Or are just scarred of getting a bit of stick from arsenal fans.
I think we'd be better off in the CL. No question for me. But do I want that at the price of Woolwich winning the league?

Not sure I do. Is that petty? Maybe. But football is emotional rather than logical for me and part of me really doesn't want them winning the league at any cost.

I don't see Villa being stronger as making them stronger than us.

Why would it make us stronger compared to a year in the cl? It will actually be harder competing in the league as we'd have to play thursday sunday.
Easier opposition, more room for rotation if we manage to get a squad together that's good enough. Chance for younger players (already here and new) to get meaningful game time to develop in an Ange system at a slightly lower level than CL football.

Not saying it will be enough to compensate for the downsides of EL compared to CL, but rather that there are positives to EL too and that it's at least plausible that it's better for our development over time.

Back