• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Yeah I don’t see the problem with having a global fanbase. Makes the club richer, what’s not to like? This is anecdotal but I went on a ski trip to Lake Tahoe in 2004 and my instructor was from Argentina and he was a fan of Spurs and River Plate. This was 20 years after Villa and Ardilles and we were a pretty mediocre team at the time.

It's a blip, probably the first real big blip... But you have to love the answers he comes out with.

“You can level any accusation you want. I get it and I'm happy for people to run that sort of commentary because it's meaningless to me. I don't see fourth as the prize. This club has finished fourth before. It's finished second before. You can throw all types of things at it, it's reached the Champions League final, you can throw all sorts of things but this club has achieved things. So fourth is not my end goal. I don't want to finish fourth if we haven't grown as a team and developed as a team. If nobody believes me then that's fine.

Part of the narrative is to push you in these kind of positions where you think that fourth is some kind of achievement that gives you something for next year. It doesn't give you anything unless...fourth would be great if I feel like we're growing as a team and we're creating something that is going to bring us success next year. But fourth is not our goal. It hasn't been.

It's not my goal. It certainly isn't my goal but I get it from the outside, particularly in the Premier League, it seems like people push you into that position where you succeed or fail just on an outcome. I just don't think that's how you get success. Success is built on, I think, more tangible stuff. If we finish fifth and if I think we've got a team to challenge next year then I won't be disappointed.”

It's a blip, probably the first real big blip... But you have to love the answers he comes out with.

“You can level any accusation you want. I get it and I'm happy for people to run that sort of commentary because it's meaningless to me. I don't see fourth as the prize. This club has finished fourth before. It's finished second before. You can throw all types of things at it, it's reached the Champions League final, you can throw all sorts of things but this club has achieved things. So fourth is not my end goal. I don't want to finish fourth if we haven't grown as a team and developed as a team. If nobody believes me then that's fine.

Part of the narrative is to push you in these kind of positions where you think that fourth is some kind of achievement that gives you something for next year. It doesn't give you anything unless...fourth would be great if I feel like we're growing as a team and we're creating something that is going to bring us success next year. But fourth is not our goal. It hasn't been.

It's not my goal. It certainly isn't my goal but I get it from the outside, particularly in the Premier League, it seems like people push you into that position where you succeed or fail just on an outcome. I just don't think that's how you get success. Success is built on, I think, more tangible stuff. If we finish fifth and if I think we've got a team to challenge next year then I won't be disappointed.”
Great answer, tbf.

Reactions: jrh
I said it's not an opinion I share. I agree, some/many of them will be Spurs fans for a long time. The same as many Japanese are now Brighton/Arsenal fans and will probably stick with it.

Sorry should have said "how do they know...".

It's a terrible question, at least in the way it was worded.

I think there is merit in the discussion about how best to 'integrate' (for lack of a better word) overseas fans. If you have bunches of new-to-Spurs, first-timers, people who've never experienced a Premier League match before etc smack bang in the middle of the south stand, it can hurt the atmosphere.

But to label anyone visiting the stadium as plastic or whatever is just ignorant. Some of the best Spurs trips I've been on weren't even to London.

I once went to see Corinthians at the Pacambeu back in the mid-90s. I was told not to go to a certain part of of the ground. I went. I speak no Portuguese, and trust me, these chaps did not speak English, but we found common ground quickly as they taught me songs and I taught them 'the referee's a clown shoe'...been to the Bonbonerra too...Ajax as a neutral...always always welcomed. Your last sentence is bang -on.

I once went to see Corinthians at the Pacambeu back in the mid-90s. I was told not to go to a certain part of of the ground. I went. I speak no Portuguese, and trust me, these chaps did not speak English, but we found common ground quickly as they taught me songs and I taught them 'the referee's a clown shoe'...been to the Bonbonerra too...Ajax as a neutral...always always welcomed. Your last sentence is bang -on.

Couple of european away games in europe i've been in the home sides end. Cheaper, no trouble. Even lyon. Just don't be an idiot.

Back