• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was this transfer window a success?

Maybe it’s just they get paid really well here and no one has the money for the fees and wages
Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and maybe Aston villa have money - just our players are not good enough.

Delighted with the window.
Good signings in the right positions, including the management. Great platform to build on - we need tweaks in future windows, not big changes. That helps to focus energy and money in the right areas.

Still need a backup cb maybe in jan - unless phillips comes in and proves he is ready! With a small squad in a non euro or short domestic cup rund, we should be ok. Now sales, hmm tanguy

View attachment 15954

Added 3 “home grown” to the squad (Maddison, Phillips & Johnson), if I’ve understood that term correctly?

That sounds quite important the way people are talking? I know we’ve lost Winks, Tanganga and White who were home grown, but they’d have never played.
As others have said, I'd have liked another CB and a proper CF.

However, that's not to say it's been a bad window at all. Getting Vicario, Van Man and Maddison done early was crucial to us starting the season well, and I guess Solomon being there in time for pre-season would have helped as well.

Veliz and Phillips seem like excellent future prospects and, while I don't think Brennan Johnson is the out-and-out goalscorer I'd have liked (and I really hope I'm wrong about that), he's definitely a very good young player.

Player sales not so good -- REALLY wanted to see Ndombele out of here -- but, well, we have the Kane money as well as being a financially solid club with a mega stadium. I like to think that our failure to rid of the deadwood didn't impact our main purchases too much.

As others have said, I'd have liked another CB and a proper CF.

However, that's not to say it's been a bad window at all. Getting Vicario, Van Man and Maddison done early was crucial to us starting the season well, and I guess Solomon being there in time for pre-season would have helped as well.

Veliz and Phillips seem like excellent future prospects and, while I don't think Brennan Johnson is the out-and-out goalscorer I'd have liked (and I really hope I'm wrong about that), he's definitely a very good young player.

Player sales not so good -- REALLY wanted to see Ndombele out of here -- but, well, we have the Kane money as well as being a financially solid club with a mega stadium. I like to think that our failure to rid of the deadwood didn't impact our main purchases too much.

Think we spent the kane money or did we?

Think we spent the kane money or did we?
Sorry, should have written "HAD the Kane money". I doubt anyone outside the club's management really knows, given that much of our transfer kitty would have depended on loans and other financing options, but my suspicion is that Johnson was bought with the Kane money, while the others were already covered.

It's definitely not as simple as us having another £40M sitting in a pot waiting to be spent, but hopefully we'll have that capacity on hand for January, if there are suitable players available.

Sorry, should have written "HAD the Kane money". I doubt anyone outside the club's management really knows, given that much of our transfer kitty would have depended on loans and other financing options, but my suspicion is that Johnson was bought with the Kane money, while the others were already covered.

It's definitely not as simple as us having another £40M sitting in a pot waiting to be spent, but hopefully we'll have that capacity on hand for January, if there are suitable players available.
None of us now as you say
I suspect we may have money for January now
But … buying players in January can be hard
I think we will go for Toney in January but that’s a guy feel. Issue is they will want silly money for a guy with 18 months left which ish their call

I think we will go for Toney in January but that’s a guy feel. Issue is they will want silly money for a guy with 18 months left which ish their call
Quite. It's a big "if".

Toney's an interesting one though. Undoubtedly a fine player, who's already shown that he can do it in the Prem, but I'm sure I read something about attitude issues -- being a nob, basically.

I already have more faith in Ange's character assessment than I did in Poch's lemons, so I'll trust whatever he thinks. Of course, Brennan Johnson might knock in a few hat tricks and we'll all forget we ever needed a "proper goalscorer".

Quite. It's a big "if".

Toney's an interesting one though. Undoubtedly a fine player, who's already shown that he can do it in the Prem, but I'm sure I read something about attitude issues -- being a nob, basically.

I already have more faith in Ange's character assessment than I did in Poch's lemons, so I'll trust whatever he thinks. Of course, Brennan Johnson might knock in a few hat tricks and we'll all forget we ever needed a "proper goalscorer".
It’s a huge if
Just my speculation too

Someone suggested we had met with Toney earlier in the summer and were left unimpressed with his attitude and wouldn't be going back there. Could be gonad*s, Who knows. I don't think he feels like a Ange player but we'll need to wait and see.

I read today that Bournemouth were asking for too much for Kelly but the deal was there to be done and we'd be going back in Jan (as his contract is up in the summer and we think we can do a deal

Someone suggested we had met with Toney earlier in the summer and were left unimpressed with his attitude and wouldn't be going back there. Could be gonad*s, Who knows. I don't think he feels like a Ange player but we'll need to wait and see.

I read today that Bournemouth were asking for too much for Kelly but the deal was there to be done and we'd be going back in Jan (as his contract is up in the summer and we think we can do a deal
We will see for sure
I do think we will use more and more youth players going forward now so any spend will be on younger players IMO

I think seeing the players play already makes the window feel like a good one, as most have demonstrated their quality even if they weren't the most high profile or expensive buys.

Obviously there is a fear over losing either of the cbs, think we address this in Jan.

I still feel like we should have a few more £ in the coffers from the Kane sale in terms of a transfer fee, but we were hamstrung by the commitment to wages of the players who are not in Ange's plans. Still not 100% clear how much of that is player defiance or us trying to engineer a fee for a player surplus to requirements, which in turn could be influenced by the accounts amortised values.

It's frustrating that we don't seem to have been bailed out with sales for our players who are surplus to requirements. Other than the remnants of the disaster window of 2019 we are also left with a couple of experienced pros with a year left who seem to have decided not playing for a year to become a free agent is the right play and that is ultimately a decision we cannot reverse.

I think seeing the players play already makes the window feel like a good one, as most have demonstrated their quality even if they weren't the most high profile or expensive buys.

Obviously there is a fear over losing either of the cbs, think we address this in Jan.

I still feel like we should have a few more £ in the coffers from the Kane sale in terms of a transfer fee, but we were hamstrung by the commitment to wages of the players who are not in Ange's plans. Still not 100% clear how much of that is player defiance or us trying to engineer a fee for a player surplus to requirements, which in turn could be influenced by the accounts amortised values.

It's frustrating that we don't seem to have been bailed out with sales for our players who are surplus to requirements. Other than the remnants of the disaster window of 2019 we are also left with a couple of experienced pros with a year left who seem to have decided not playing for a year to become a free agent is the right play and that is ultimately a decision we cannot reverse.
Just looked up our 2019/20 transfers. "Disaster window" is right!

Ndombele £55m
Bergwijn £28m
Sessegnon £25m
Lo Celso £15m loan fee + £27m purchase
Jack Clarke £10m
Gedson Fernandes £4m loan fee

In hindsight...wow. Of those, only Lo Celso looked vaguely like a player after signing. Although Sess has shown the odd flash.

Thankfully we didn't exercise the option to buy Gedson for £40m!

Just looked up our 2019/20 transfers. "Disaster window" is right!

Ndombele £55m
Bergwijn £28m
Sessegnon £25m
Lo Celso £15m loan fee + £27m purchase
Jack Clarke £10m
Gedson Fernandes £4m loan fee

In hindsight...wow. Of those, only Lo Celso looked vaguely like a player after signing. Although Sess has shown the odd flash.

Thankfully we didn't exercise the option to buy Gedson for £40m!
Did he?…. I must have blinked and missed that moment.

Again though, this all goes back to either signing players the manager doesn’t really want (Bergwijn, Clarke) or signing players a manager wants and then sacking them and lurching to a manager with the opposite football philosophy (Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso).

We haven’t had joined up thinking with our recruitment of players and managers for a while now. Hopefully that has now changed.

Did he?…. I must have blinked and missed that moment.

Again though, this all goes back to either signing players the manager doesn’t really want (Bergwijn, Clarke) or signing players a manager wants and then sacking them and lurching to a manager with the opposite football philosophy (Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso).

We haven’t had joined up thinking with our recruitment of players and managers for a while now. Hopefully that has now changed.
It’s massively changed
We’re buying now using data as well as scouting
The age profile now is the same as that window but the suitability is much much higher

So final tally (not including youth/development loan outs like Scarlett, Devine, Parrott)

In - Vicario, VDV, Philips, Maddison, Solomon, Johnson, Veliz, plus Udogie in from loan for first time (8 additions)
Out (permanent) - Winks, Kane, Sanchez (3)
Out (loan with intention to get rid of) - Rodon, Reguilon, Ndombele, Tanganga, Spence (5)
Released - Lucas, Danjuma, Lenglet (3), Lloris highly likely to follow suit

Summary - 20 changes to first team squad (Lloris included), 4-5 changes to first 11
Pros - So far first team changes have settled amazingly well, including huge previous problems of finally replacing Lloris, Rose, Jan & Eriksen
Cons - Kane loss, still a little light in CB/LB coverage, window would have been noticeably better with Dier out and new CB in, loan army still needs to be permanently gone.

Huge amount of change, if we get a decent season out of it and build from there, then it will be seen as a big success later.

Back