• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was this transfer window a success?

Not having a DoF to work on sales has cost us badly. We still own 10-12 players that we shouldnt

Generally though our squad is strong enough for a season with no europe or cups. But next summer will be another of having to (not) sell to (not) buy
It didnt help us last summer
What isnt helping is players who have worse thinking they are better than they are now

Not having a DoF to work on sales has cost us badly. We still own 10-12 players that we shouldnt

Generally though our squad is strong enough for a season with no europe or cups. But next summer will be another of having to (not) sell to (not) buy

I don't think a DoF is the issue (wouldn't help of course)

Lloris, PEH, Ndombele, Dier, Sanchez seemingly all made decisions to not play, to take a wind down year or payout to go away vs. go somewhere they would actually play football. You really have to believe, this is a group of players (you could probably add Lucas to that), that were too comfortable, rated themselves way more than their output and that is probably a huge part of our lack of ability to take it across the line in the last 5-7 years (when the opportunities presented itself)

Interested in who's your 10 we shouldn't own? how many self correct by end of season (e.g. Lloris, Dier, Sanchez, Forster, Perisic all out of contract in 12 months)

Lloris, PEH, Ndombele, Dier, Sanchez seemingly all made decisions to not play, to take a wind down year or payout to go away vs. go somewhere they would actually play football. You really have to believe, this is a group of players (you could probably add Lucas to that), that were too comfortable, rated themselves way more than their output and that is probably a huge part of our lack of ability to take it across the line in the last 5-7 years (when the opportunities presented itself)

Interested in who's your 10 we shouldn't own? how many self correct by end of season (e.g. Lloris, Dier, Sanchez, Forster, Perisic all out of contract in 12 months)

Hojbjerg has 2 years left on his contract. Ndombele aswell but he's just on a different world.

Lloris
Whiteman
Spence
Dier
Sanchez
Tanganga
Regullion
Sessegnon
Perisic
Hojbjerg
Ndombele
Parrott
Gil

Sanchez probably makes our best 25 at the moment, but none of them have futures (or presents) with us

Losing Kane is always going to put a bad spin on it.

Outside that it's been pretty decent. Good keeper and CB (potentially v good), really good AM in Maddison and strengthened options with Solomon and Johnson.

I think you have to look at transfers over the last 12 months as a whole. The team and squad have been totally transformed in the 12 months.
A new keeper and whole new defence. Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and Maddison in midfield. Son is the only one remaining in attack.
It's basically a fully new team in 12 - 18 months. Now we just need a couple targeted signings, another CB and a forward.
I thought we should have sold kane and reinvested last season. Harder sell I guess as we were in the cl.

I think it will be good overall ...we are already seeing evidence previous first eleven aren't good enough and worse...have little demand for their services.

Going to be exciting to see ange adapt to the epl. He's got his team so no excuses for not getting his style in place. I think he needs a stronger defensive side to his game but we'll see.

I think we should be threatening top 5 if we can avoid injuries to key players.

Lloris
Whiteman
Spence
Dier
Sanchez
Tanganga
Regullion
Sessegnon
Perisic
Hojbjerg
Ndombele
Parrott
Gil

Sanchez probably makes our best 25 at the moment, but none of them have futures (or presents) with us

Seems Harvey White is off to Stevanage btw

Dier, Sanchez, Lloris, Perisic self correct (gone in 12 months), Parrott is just the new version of CCV, cost the club nothing really, probably making a slight profit on loan fees, Tanganga supposedly has a option/obligation to buy

Ndombele will never go away, he's going to milk us to the end and his career will be over, PEH, Spence & Gil I think we can move on, Sess we will struggle with, I'd add we shouldn't start next season with Davies in squad either.

Seems Harvey White is off to Stevanage btw

Dier, Sanchez, Lloris, Perisic self correct (gone in 12 months), Parrott is just the new version of CCV, cost the club nothing really, probably making a slight profit on loan fees, Tanganga supposedly has a option/obligation to buy

Ndombele will never go away, he's going to milk us to the end and his career will be over, PEH, Spence & Gil I think we can move on, Sess we will struggle with, I'd add we shouldn't start next season with Davies in squad either.
Davies, Forster, Austin and Lo Celso are already on next year's list, but serve some purpose for now

Losing Kane was a big blow.
The additions and form of the midfield duo have been very good so far, hopefully that continues.
Would have liked another proper cb as the defence is looking short in depth but otherwise the squad looks to have good options.

Players in, yes
Players out, no

I think it was a good first transfer window for Ange and getting the squad shaped to how he would like it.

Lots of activity and there is a first team and suitable reinforcements to play Angeball so overall it was good.

Still, too much deadwood remaining and very late deals make it feel that more could have been done with earlier and more funds.

Mysterious that even established internationals in their prime like Dier and Hojberg were not in demand and hard to shift.

To early to judge if it was a success, but in terms of strengthening the team where we needed to, we brought in the right type of players for the positions we needed. Except for a CB back up.

Lots of activity and there is a first team and suitable reinforcements to play Angeball so overall it was good.

Still, too much deadwood remaining and very late deals make it feel that more could have been done with earlier and more funds.

Mysterious that even established internationals in their prime like Dier and Hojberg were not in demand and hard to shift.
Maybe it’s just they get paid really well here and no one has the money for the fees and wages

IMG_0312.jpeg

Added 3 “home grown” to the squad (Maddison, Phillips & Johnson), if I’ve understood that term correctly?

That sounds quite important the way people are talking? I know we’ve lost Winks, Tanganga and White who were home grown, but they’d have never played.

You have to look at it in the context of the "great rebuild" everyone harps on about

In this window -> Vicario, VDV, Maddison (3 that walk into first team), Solomon, Ashley, Johnson (3 that improve squad depth)

Likely first 11 -> Vicario, Porro/Royal, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Bissouma, Sarr/Bentancur, Son, Richarlison, Kulu/Johnson. 1 Player that played for Poch, 2 players with more than 2 full seasons for club
Even the bench (didn't include Dier/Lloris/Ndombele as they won't make team) -> Forster, Perisic, Solomon, Ashley, Davies, Skipp, Sanchez, Lo Celso. 3 players that played for Poch (and that includes GLC)

20 players, 4 played for Poch, 9 basically playing the first full/starting season
Add in the players out

This isn't about this window, this about a team transformation, and a huge part of that was done, and we will probably need another two windows to complete it.

Most importantly the manager (direct quote) -> insists he will have “final say” on all deals
Absolutely agree.
Although I think I'd probably start with 11 players. :D

Next summer will see the more precision fine tuning of the squad with the hangers on either having their contracts end or those that have a year left could have their contracts torn up.

we missed out on Conor (midfield, Chavs) and Kelly (defender, Bournemouth) which would be key when afcon comes round or injuries

Fingers crossed!!

Next summer will see the more precision fine tuning of the squad with the hangers on either having their contracts end or those that have a year left could have their contracts torn up.
we sell players or contracts come to end, more clubs have money - NDombele is on a LOT of money

Back