• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was this transfer window a success?

Yiddo

Cecil Poynton
So with the window closing shortly and our business looking done, what do we think about this transfer window?

We'll have to wait and see with the players we brought in.

Losing kane but not being able to get rid of the likes of dier, ndombele, sanchez, hojbjerg etc... is poor.

Losing Kane is always going to put a bad spin on it.

Outside that it's been pretty decent. Good keeper and CB (potentially v good), really good AM in Maddison and strengthened options with Solomon and Johnson.

I think you have to look at transfers over the last 12 months as a whole. The team and squad have been totally transformed in the 12 months.
A new keeper and whole new defence. Bissouma, Sarr, Bentancur and Maddison in midfield. Son is the only one remaining in attack.
It's basically a fully new team in 12 - 18 months. Now we just need a couple targeted signings, another CB and a forward.

New starting GK CB AM
Competition for the wide forward positions (x2)
Young CB & CF signed fir the squad
Udogie coming in from loan to be another player to improve the starting XI

Think that's pretty decent tbh and although early days the 4 starting players all appear to be solid upgrades - need more time to judge the others but I think the best thing atm is that we can start to have some faith again in our recruitment.

The negatives would be the lack of deadwood properly shifted, another CB could have been added for competition and a lack of CF signing to properly compete with Richarlson (though Johnson and/or the Argie could potentially provide that)

Lots of good signings. Not enough out goings ... but that just tells you all you need to know about our deadwood level of players.

A little surprised that we have not addressed CB and CF position. Let's hope and pray that we don't have any injuries in the CB position.

Our squad looks a little more balanced but not enough quality in the squad as I feel the starting IX picks itself.

Overall I'll say a "B" grade

Yes
We have improved the first 11
Any team losing a Panter of Kanes calibre would feel it but if we didn’t lose the mid week game the whole focus would be more positive

we now have a defence which looks set for some time
A great midfield trip with back up options
And an attack that should score plenty
The back up is much better than people think because we look at the Fulham game rather than the subs impacting on the Bournemouth game

Yes. Some people's expectations are ridiculous, as if we was going to acquire players for every single position that needs filling in one window and get rid of all the deadwood in one window. The rebuild has started and have made some very good acquisitions both for the first eleven and for the future. Also have got rid of some of the unwanted players, it will take time to completely overhaul when some are digging their heels in. Look at the below ins and outs, that's a lot of movement done in one window and we have signed players of a good age with the potential to get better. Plus Maddison who should prove to be one of the signings of the season:

IMG_3455.jpeg

Last edited:
You have to look at it in the context of the "great rebuild" everyone harps on about

In this window -> Vicario, VDV, Maddison (3 that walk into first team), Solomon, Ashley, Johnson (3 that improve squad depth)

Likely first 11 -> Vicario, Porro/Royal, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Bissouma, Sarr/Bentancur, Son, Richarlison, Kulu/Johnson. 1 Player that played for Poch, 2 players with more than 2 full seasons for club
Even the bench (didn't include Dier/Lloris/Ndombele as they won't make team) -> Forster, Perisic, Solomon, Ashley, Davies, Skipp, Sanchez, Lo Celso. 3 players that played for Poch (and that includes GLC)

20 players, 4 played for Poch, 9 basically playing the first full/starting season
Add in the players out

This isn't about this window, this about a team transformation, and a huge part of that was done, and we will probably need another two windows to complete it.

Most importantly the manager (direct quote) -> insists he will have “final say” on all deals

Losing Kane is always going to put a bad spin on it.
To me we didn't really LOSE Kane, we got £100m ish which could have been a lot worse.

Overall we all wanted a lot more out and better stars in, but we did pretty well:

Changes in this window -> first teamers galore
Goalkeeper: Vicario signs
Defence: [Porro sealed], VDV, [Udogie joined up],
Midfield: [Biss resurrected, Sarr given a chance], homegrown Maddison signs
Forwards: er.... [Kulu sealed], meh Solomon and homegrown Johnson signs

(((Phillips and Veliz for the future)))

Madison, Vicario, VDV and Johnson look excellent signings. Yet it’s Udoggie and Bissouma - new signings who aren’t - who are maybe the most exciting. All 6 can be key for us. It doesn’t seem like it but we have had a massive overhaul of the side.

I was so pleased we signed VDV. We missed out on a quality CB last summer and it hounded us all season. So he’s my star signing. Tho it is hard to ignore Madison he’s so crucial to the way we play; crazy to say when he’s started just 3 competitive games.

We lost Kane but after the brick we’ve signed in recent seasons, I think we’ve had an excellent window. Signing players who won’t let us down and have promise.

Last edited:
Well no matter what we spent or on who we did there will always be some who want more ( it is the nature of the beast). Personally i think we have made some very good signings and am looking forward to seeing how Ange uses them. COYS.

Twitter says "Hugo Lloris, Fraser Forster, Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez & Ivan Perisic have just 303 days remaining on their #thfc contracts."

So we know those feckers will only feature in a crisis / will be gone soon enough
Ndombele won't play for us again. Nor Rodon Reguilon Tanganga Spence probably = a big clearout.

And I guess Sessegnon's operation might have been to install a pair of b*ll*cks so he can actually show us how good he is, come fireworks night.

Ask me again in a month or two!

Seriously though, I'm pretty happy with the window, and the more I think about it, the happier I am with it.

However, any window where we lose one of the greatest goal scorers in Spurs history can't go down as a great one.

Oh yeah, I forgot. No more Winks, Moura, Lenglet, Danjuma and probably some others I forgot. A huge shift from one year to the next, even though we all want a bit more.

Can also look at it differently

of our current starting 11 … Romero, son and Kulu were the only ones starting here in January

the signings from last summer are coming good in some cases
The signings from this summer have hit the ground running
That is genuinely huge progress

Not having a DoF to work on sales has cost us badly. We still own 10-12 players that we shouldnt

Generally though our squad is strong enough for a season with no europe or cups. But next summer will be another of having to (not) sell to (not) buy

Back