• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

Was Levy right to sack AVB?

• Levy was right to sack AVB

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Levy was wrong to sack AVB

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
Re: Next Spurs Manager v.2

That was what always left me scratching my head, he was supposed to be this GHod of beautiful football yet we really did play some absolute dross, even during last season. I always backed him because he seemed determined to install a winning mentality into the club but his football was something I couldn't defend.

He wasn't finished.

He wasn't finished.

It can be argued with some conviction that he deserved more time and he MAY have had a long term plan that would have ultimately bore fruit, I don't agree with that way of thinking but I understand it. But honestly, when it comes to the style of play, it does not take 18 months to get a team that was already playing fanastic football playing anyway to play the way you want them to. Look at Everton, you could tell after about half an hour under Martinez that their style of play had changed. Quite frankly it's absurd and utterly ridiculous to argue that he eventually would have had us playing like Barcelona because he could have done it within a handful of games.

Not sure what thread this belongs in but what does everybody make of this interview?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ndre-Villas-Boass-footballing-philosophy.html

He sounds so well rounded and dynamic in this interview...why then did he have us playing the most predictable style of football our club has ever known.

Because he talks a lot of crap, to be blunt and some Spurs fans are still blinded by it and the notion that he's the "next Mourinho".

Let's take a brief look at the style of play under previous managers:

George Graham - Typical GG, didn't take us 18 months to realise it wouldn't change.

Jacques Santini - Cautious, tactical. Chelsea away, we parked the bus, once again, most of us realised what his style of play was after a handful of games.

Martin Jol - Attacking but sometimes negative after going ahead against the top teams. His first game in charge ended 5-4 :lol: that pretty much set the tone.

Redknapp - Shored us up with the signing of Palacios very early on. Less than a season later we were playing swashbuckling football.

People can believe all they want that AVB would have had us playing Barca esque football after the 15 year bedding in period, just don't try to convince me because I'm not buying it. In the words of Pirate and Kingdawson 'I believe what I see with my eyes'.

it's not as simple as that, even under GG at times we played some beautiful stuff

personally I believed AVB would have us winning regularly, I couldn't give a toss whether we play like Guardiolas Barca or Taylor's Watford as long as we are effective

it's not as simple as that, even under GG at times we played some beautiful stuff

personally I believed AVB would have us winning regularly, I couldn't give a toss whether we play like Guardiolas Barca or Taylor's Watford as long as we are effective

I agree but that isn't what we were discussing, there's a belief that AVB would have eventually turned us into a free flowing, adventurous side which I believe is a flawed arguement and a fallacy because it really doesn't/shouldn't take 18 months to implement given the examples I listed and how quickly we figured out what their ethos was.

maybe, unless AVB's plan required a certain blueprint of player in each position and it we just didn't have it so the transition was slow

wenger obviously changed the arsenal system but he didn't do it all in one go, that back 5 played exactly the same way for a lot longer than 18 months after he took over

maybe, unless AVB's plan required a certain blueprint of player in each position and it we just didn't have it so the transition was slow

wenger obviously changed the arsenal system but he didn't do it all in one go, that back 5 played exactly the same way for a lot longer than 18 months after he took over

Of course but it didn't people 18 months to realise that he was making them a more attractive side to watch as well as a more physically dominant side. He also had them top of the league in his second season not lagging behind the top 4.

what I don't get is how AVB can hold any kind of conversation about football and seem to understand so much about the game yet send a team out with no purpose whatsoever.
the whole bedding in period is rubbish. Martinez is one of a hundred examples. plus you may need time to perfect something but we didn't even show that we had a plan to begin with. if our players were trying things that we couldn't yet pull off then you could say well I can see what we are trying - but we didn't even have a purpose when playing. but avb is clearly not a stupid man yet our team was so basic - that's what I don't get

Last edited:
what I don't get is how AVB can hold any kind of conversation about football and seem to understand so much about the game yet send a team out with purpose whatsoever.
the whole bedding in period is rubbish. Martinez is one of a hundred examples. plus you may need time to perfect something but we didn't even show that we had a plan to begin with. if our players were trying things that we couldn't yet pull off then you could say well I can see what we are trying - but we didn't even have a purpose when playing. but avb is clearly not a stupid man but our team was so basic - that's what I don't get

Having the knowledge and applying it are two very different things. That applies to all walks of life not just football.

For the record, I didn't enjoy the style of play but I tolerated it whilst we were getting results and looking solid at the back and had a good defensive record, but that went out the window by November so we couldn't even hang our hat on that anymore.

In a nutshell:

Generally when I watched Spurs under AVB i was bored; generally under Harry I felt entertained.

If the football's boring then I don't mind as long as when we win - if we don't win and then get absolutely smashed then its time to move on.

AVB was no better than Gerry Francis - inherited a team that included a world class player (Klinsmann/Bale) who helped to win many games - when they left they initially grounded out unspectacular wins but before long they became unspectacular defeats and then very spectacular defeats.

In a nutshell:

Generally when I watched Spurs under AVB i was bored; generally under Harry I felt entertained.

If the football's boring then I don't mind as long as when we win - if we don't win and then get absolutely smashed then its time to move on.

AVB was no better than Gerry Francis - inherited a team that included a world class player (Klinsmann/Bale) who helped to win many games - when they left they initially grounded out unspectacular wins but before long they became unspectacular defeats and then very spectacular defeats.

Perfectly summarised and exactly how I feel.

does anybody know why Harry left????? I still dont have the answer

The only solid evidence seems to be his twitchy face and predilection for roadside based media briefings.

But that was apparently enough for DL to launch masteplan v5.0 and give his job to a fraudster.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fapatalk

Think the official line was that the board couldn't accept the way we fell apart during that March period and that despite finishing fourth, he should have got third. Chelsea winning the CL final was what pushed him out the door.

The unofficial story is that on the day Levy buried his mother Harry demanded a new contract after openly courting the England job. Their relationship soured from there and his sacking was both for personal and football reasons. Loads of stories at the time came out saying how Harry was organising his England coaching team behind the scenes (I believe Rodgers was approached) and how during that period he spent very little time training the Spurs team, which really upset the board.

EDIT: This is all rumour and speculation from the internet and the press.

not sure we'll ever know, but making the same exact mistake 2 seasons in a row whilst flirting with another job probably contributed

he had to go though, we were never gonna win the league with him in charge, we needed to try and improve on him

Back