• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vital Statistics

How old are you? 33

How long have you supported Spurs? 25 years

Why did you pick Spurs? Brother supported spurs, and uncle, meaning I went to see Spurs Leeds a lot. Hated leeds as my dad supported them and loved spurs beating them. Gazza and Lineker sealed the deal!

Has this season been a success? Extremely so. I think we have a much worse team than last season; new manager with new ideas; players from last season not performing as well (Parker, Ade, Walker, Ekotto), big injuries (Sandro, Kaboul); Chelsea improving (slightly). I can see players developing, our system developing; I can see a real belief and spirit in the team that I don't think I've ever felt. So feel the future is extremely bright from what we've seen this year. Get a few AVB players and we could be a real force, especially after the turbulence Man U , Chelsea and probably City are going to endure with new managers.

How old are you?

How long have you supported Spurs? (And I mean properly not 'Since I was 1 day old')

I don't know.. Seven, maybe eight years?

Why did you pick Spurs?

Granddad supported Spurs, Dad supports Spurs, Brother supports Spurs.

Has this season been a success?

Define success?

In terms of my pre-season objectives? Yes it has been a success in my view. It could be a much larger success over the next two games though.

In terms of AVB? Yes, an excellent transitional season in my mind. He's managed to utilise the players we have, pick up a system and get a near record number of points for a Spurs side.

In terms of Transfers? I think it has been a success. We've bought in a number of quality players. Lloris, Dembele, Vertonghen, Siggurdsson. Along with a decent stop gap in Dempsey, who has performed well. The only failure in my mind with the players in has been Ade.

In terms of the future? Yes. We have a very good spine to our team, which was not exactly an easy change. We lost VDV, Modric and King last season. Three players who were a massive part of who we are and how we have played. We now have a spine of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sandro and Bale. With some young potentially quality players around such as Walker, Siggurdsson, Townsend, Rose and Caulker.

British eleven anyone (Well English + Bale)?

Walker---Dawson---Caulker---Rose
------Parker-----Hudd--------------
Lennon-------Bale--------Townsend
--------------Defoe------------------

Not sure on our Youth Keepers. Could be a fun match against Saudi Sportswashing Machine's France.

haha, I thought EXACTLY the same :) Before reading this thread I read his comment "If THudd ever wears a spurs shirt again... blah blah blah" in the ratings thread!!

Sorry to disappoint all of you, but it seems most fans my age share similar views to me.

We're the future of Spurs :)

Since I was 12 maybe 14

Why spurs, well I lived in London till I was 10 , moved to Shropshire where man u, wolves and bin dippers inhabit. So I hated football thought it was a game for chaves and the great unwashed. Started hanging out with the alternative kids one of them came from a spurs family and slowly feel in love with that team.

Success?

Without a doubt, all i wanted was a top half finish .

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk HD

Last edited:

Was 8 or 9 years old when I started following Spurs

My Grandad came over from Ireland to work and my Dad asked for a football shirt. Being the 60's my dad was hoping for George Best shirt (obvious Irish links) but my Grandad was working in North London and got him a Spurs top. My Dad told me when I was younger I had to pick one team and stick with them, and thus ended up a Spurs fan like him

I think the season has been a success. We lost two of our three most talented players in the summer, and have still managed to maintain a push for a top four spot until the very end of the season. Personally I don't think Harry would have done as well as AVB without Rafa and Modric in the team. That said, I am determined to stay positive to counteract my Dad's eternal pessimism, which he blames on "being let down by Spurs for the past 40 years," so my optimism may be misplaced. I do genuinely believe that if AVB stays here for a few years, we can start to build something special

How old are you? 50
How lng have you supported Spurs? For just over 40 years. First live Spurs game 5-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project, still didnt put me off

Why did you pick Spurs? I was a chubby kid, so ended up a goalie in footie. Pat Jennings became one of my Sporting heroes and so I followed Spurs, plus they had this crazy-looking guy called Ralph Coates.
People ask why I support a Spurs living in Warrington? You choose a team(or do they choose you?) and stick with them no matter what. The travelling just makes home games special everytime

Has this season been a success? Personally, I think yes, considering the changes, the loss of quality players, new system,and just as important, we have found a United-esque quality of scoring late goals

Last edited:
How old are you? 34

How long have you supported Spurs? 25 years

Why did you pick spurs?

Being from a small town that is seperated by religion and the celtic/rangers devide. My dad thought I was best brought up away from the two sides as it would be less hassle for me. He on the other hand started supporting spurs through watching them on tv and fell in love with players like ossie and villa.

Has this season been a success?

In most ways yeah, new manager who has been trying to make a side and getting his ideas and ways over at the same time

It's been tough to lose players like vdv, king and modric. But avb moving bale in to the centre has taken a weaker side in to a different level. Also I live how avb is not afraid to change things and the never say die attitude that we now have

Downside for me this season is how we cannot seem to score goals from our strikers! Hoping that we can keep bale and sign a quality creative midfielder and a top notch striker that we have been sorely missing this season

Not sure, as long as I can remember. My first game was when I was a toddler.
Brought up in to it.

As I just wrote in the OMT the Bayern game last season changed me. Never have I been through such an experience with Spurs in my life. I used to be too optimistic and hopeful and now I've lost all of that. I preferred it when I was younger when I didn't have the hope that would destroy me, and when I'd have to expect mid-table mediocrity and only get laughed at by Arsenal fans when something big happens, like when they win the league without losing a game. Even them beating us was too boring and expected to suffer from humiliation.

I think we have a better team than Arsenal overall, however recent performances make us look worse than we really are, so I feel this season has not been a success and we have underachieved. We didn't win any silverware either due to poor performances in the cups and if any good has come out this season at least Bale is worth at least £60m

16 year old Spurs fan, first game as a toddler so I guess that means you only really know the Tottenham experience since about 2003 or so. The club have been a gradual upward trend since then so I can see why you have the expectations you do. I suppose one of the factors in our own expectations is down to our own timeline... fans going back to the 70s I reckon have a better appreciation of Europe maybe. And wow, it must be strange never to have known us having a team better than Arsenal, or at least a better league finish.

Bayern really did hurt last year though.... most gutting experience of my Spurs supporting life. Want them to lose the CL final next week, partly because I've been wooed by Dortmund, but also because I havent forgiven Ribery and Robben etc for letting us down.

I think I was probably a bit harsh on you in the Chelsea thread, sorry about that. Can get a bit fractious on boards like this and I don't think some of us, certainly me, are always accommodating for a different perspective. It's good to have younger fans at the club with a passion for the shirt, Come On You Spurs :)

As for my vitals....
How old are you? 38

How long a Spurs fan? I remember brushing my teeth singing "Ossies going to Wembley" when it was in the charts so I guess since I was about 6! Remember watching the penalty shoot out win v Anderlecht. But I think I properly got into Spurs in 1985, wasnt really into footie until then.

Why pick Spurs? Brought up in Ilford, Essex so they were one of the local choices. My dad's mate was a Spurs fan and I liked him, so that was an influence. Don't know why really!

Last edited:
16 year old Spurs fan, first game as a toddler so I guess that means you only really know the Tottenham experience since about 2003 or so. The club have been a gradual upward trend since then so I can see why you have the expectations you do. I suppose one of the factors in our own expectations is down to our own timeline... fans going back to the 70s I reckon have a better appreciation of Europe maybe. And wow, it must be strange never to have known us having a team better than Arsenal, or at least a better league finish.[/b]

This is why I have been very frustrated. Never in my life have Spurs finished above Arsenal. I have been brought up to always know that Arsenal are the better team. Over the last two seasons I thought I'd finally have the bragging rights, but that got screwed up at the end of both of our last two seasons. At least when we were mediocre we had much less to fight for. I'd watch a game, and it would be nice to win, but a loss wouldn't matter as much.

Not to start a witch hunt but it'll be interesting to see. A few on here have commented on a new breed of Spurs fan so:

Meh, the negative views are the loudest, that's all. How often in an OMT do you see "X switched the play beautifully there" compared to "fudging X" whenever someone makes a mistake? Anyway on with the survey.

How old are you? 25

How long have you supported Spurs? (And I mean properly not 'Since I was 1 day old') Since the mid to late 90s.

Why did you pick Spurs? Hell if I know. Possibly because my dad is a gooner and I'm a ****. :p It was a choice made with my heart rather than my head, I started out neutral watching various teams play various matches and after a while I noticed I wanted Spurs to win the most.

Also - has this season been a success?

Without the season being over, it's hard to review it. Before the season began, I'd definitely have taken this position. At the start of the season I would definitely have taken this position. We played Saudi Sportswashing Machine earlier in the season when they still had Ba, had confidence and technically they had just missed out on CL football on the last day of the season. No one knew Wigan would get to the FA Cup final... So if I'd have been told then what the points and remaining games were, I'd have rather been in our position than Arsenal's.

I think it's hard to argue that the season hasn't been a success, but that's very black and white. I don't think this season can be given a 10/10 at this point, but I don't think it anything more could have been expected realistically.

Kaboul, missing all season. Ledley gone (until the City game last season, when we played him, we won). Modric, arguably our best player last season gone. VDV One of our most important players gone (ranking him in a list of our best finishers, finishers from range, passers, technically capable players in general and so on really hits home that although he wasn't considered as good as Modric or Bale when looking at last season's team on paper, he was probably at least the 2nd best player at a range of important offensive attributes).

Then looking at the season specific issues that we've had to deal with, injuries, Ade's massive loss of form, etc... It's amazing that we are where we are, we have the potential to break our points record. If we beat last season's tally it has to count as progression, especially considering we had a run in Europe this year.

This season has been pretty strange, Chelsea spent 100 million and looked like they might win the title early in the season but still need 3 points from their last 2 games to finish above us. City, despite being last season's champions aren't even that far off.

I think this season is a chance we shouldn't have had, it will be disappointing if we don't make the CL, but to be in with a shout at this stage has to go down as a success.

How old are you? 32

How long have you supported Spurs? about 16 years

Why did you pick Spurs? I had a school mate who was born in North London and turned up to training one night here in Aus wearing the 1991 Cup Final shirt with all the nice embroidery etc. Told me all about them. Then saw my first game when our school toured England in 1997 (Spurs vs Wimbledon at the Lane, it was brick, 0-0, but I fell in love).

Has this season been a success? Yes, considering the upheaval of our squad / manager etc. However, as usual, I can't help but think we have shot ourselves in the foot with some of our home performances (losses to Wigan, Fulham, draw with Stoke etc) things could have been a lot better. The first XI (with Sandro, especially) is strong, but we need better depth (not just more depth) across the board if we are to compete with the top two. Still happy with our progress this season on a whole though.

This is why I have been very frustrated. Never in my life have Spurs finished above Arsenal. I have been brought up to always know that Arsenal are the better team. Over the last two seasons I thought I'd finally have the bragging rights, but that got screwed up at the end of both of our last two seasons. At least when we were mediocre we had much less to fight for. I'd watch a game, and it would be nice to win, but a loss wouldn't matter as much.

What's worse for some of us older supporters is that Arsenal used to be known as boring, boring arsenal. Not just because they played at the Library, where obviously one had to speak with hushed tones, but because they were dull, dull, dull. Winning 1 - nil was a badge of honour to the goons, so much so that it became their favourite chant. We would swap positions in the table with Arsenal in the 70's and 80's but we ALWAYS played the more attractive, swashbuckling football! Then Wenger arrived and suddenly they started to play more attractive (and unfortunately successful) football.. and have finished in front of us every season since. Trust me though, Arsenal have not always been kings of the tippy-tappy football that many of their mis-guided fans seem to claim.

32. I remember cheering for Spurs in the '91 cup final, how could I not become a fan after that?

Probably largely because of Thorstvedt (I'm Norwegian), but I was also a big fan of Lineker and Gazza of course. I also remember really liking Nayim, Mabbutt and Paul Walsh.

This season I thought we should be there or thereabouts challenging for a CL spot come the end of the season, so yes it's been a success. Football is very (overly) results oriented, I think there's a lot of luck involved in the short term and also in terms of final position in the league when it's close between teams so I prefer targets that are a bit more general. I find the idea that "4th is a great success, 5th is a massive failure" when the difference between them can come down to a single point or even just goal difference a little bit silly.

Sorry to disappoint all of you, but it seems most fans my age share similar views to me.

We're the future of Spurs :)

Haha, we're ALL the future of Spurs. You're entitled to your view obviously, but I hope you become a little more realistic and objective as you get older.

Back