• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

I agree but personally I would drop Eriksen to CM and have Alli cutting in from the left, Lamela from the right, with Kane as LS and Janssen as RS. Alli isn't ready for that CM role yet, and it wastes his goalscoring instinct.

Alli was awful every game he played on the left for us last season. Consistently give up the ball trying to nutmeg defenders to cut inside. Alli's best position is AM where he can do quick flick and/or turn IMO.

Alli was awful every game he played on the left for us last season. Consistently give up the ball trying to nutmeg defenders to cut inside. Alli's best position is AM where he can do quick flick and/or turn IMO.

100%. Alli ACM, Eriksen LWF. Everytime.

That mobility and running channels is just part of the modern #9 though.

If the plan was to use Kane as a #10, we'd've surely bought a Defoe type forward, rather than a Kane-clone (big alrounder, back-to-goal, not that quick) like Janssen?

Not necessarily, cast your mind back 20 years and imagine Sheringham playing behind Shearer, we have a similar option if required, Kane behind Janssen. Kane has shown that he has the intelligence to play as a number 10 if required.

Last edited:
He looked good yesterday, hold up play was good and he created space for Kane's 2nd. But I think his lack of pace could be an issue in the premiership.

He looked good yesterday, hold up play was good and he created space for Kane's 2nd. But I think his lack of pace could be an issue in the premiership.

He's not slow. Like Kane and Sherringham the first yard is in his awareness. Then he's got a turn of pace, and will make runs into space - if a back line pushes up. Granted we seem to be looking at fast attackers, as Poch and team agree we need a bit more pace in the squad.

The way he can shield the ball - only Demeble does it better! Was impressive.

He really impressed me yesterday, the way he led the line and his hold up play with his back to goal was first class. I know it was only one game but if he continues to play like that i am sure we will see more of him as the season progresses. I do see a future with him and Kane playing together with Kane being the number 10.

He really impressed me yesterday, the way he led the line and his hold up play with his back to goal was first class. I know it was only one game but if he continues to play like that i am sure we will see more of him as the season progresses. I do see a future with him and Kane playing together with Kane being the number 10.

In which case, do we need to sign another forward? If they are both too good to bench.

Who would you replace in the current side to make room for Kane at no 10? Alli?

I am confident that sometime

I have been of that view from the beginning. Sure it might not be every match but I am pretty sure they can play together and form a lethal partnership. I could see them terrorising any defence in the league

Maybe it is just me but I just do not see Janssen as a bench player, I think he will do what Kane did, play so well and eventually make himself undroppable

In which case, do we need to sign another forward? If they are both too good to bench.

Who would you replace in the current side to make room for Kane at no 10? Alli?

I do not think another striker is a priority now but a wing forward would be a good addition.

As for who drops out of the team IF Kane drops into the 10 position? well i am glad i do not have to make that decision. What i will say is that ( imo) Kane would be even better playing in a deeper position ( 10 ) as he likes to come deep and i believe he will love the extra space this will give him. As Najia says it would probably not be in every game ( to start with) but Alli may find that he needs to be rested in some games ( lets not forget he is still young and new to the Prem). But whoever/whatever Poch decides will be what matters.

Maybe it is just me but I just do not see Janssen as a bench player, I think he will do what Kane did, play so well and eventually make himself undroppable

i think we'll see a lot more rotation in certain positions over the season - the attacking four has Janssen Kane Lamela Son Alli and Eriksen who (potentially) when on top of their game are all comparable quality wise, they can't all play every game but we shouldn't have to worry if two of the six are not in the starting XI.

I do not think another striker is a priority now but a wing forward would be a good addition.

As for who drops out of the team IF Kane drops into the 10 position? well i am glad i do not have to make that decision. What i will say is that ( imo) Kane would be even better playing in a deeper position ( 10 ) as he likes to come deep and i believe he will love the extra space this will give him. As Najia says it would probably not be in every game ( to start with) but Alli may find that he needs to be rested in some games ( lets not forget he is still young and new to the Prem). But whoever/whatever Poch decides will be what matters.

coming deep and starting deep are different things though - Rose and Walker like to attack but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd make good wingers... Kane to me looks at his best when at the end of a move, his over riding instinct seems to be to score, often at the expense of players in better positions - of course that can change but he hasn't really shown what he is capable of as a no.10 for the first team, certainly not to the extent where we can say he'd have a bigger impact there than as our CF, where he is a 20+ a season goal scorer, imv

i think we want a fluid attacking four whereby the players are capable of rotating position throughout the game - its pretty much what we have now, Kane often pops up out wide or dropping deep with either Alli or Lamela moving in to the space created

Last edited:
coming deep and starting deep are different things though - Rose and Walker like to attack but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd make good wingers... Kane to me looks at his best when at the end of a move, his over riding instinct seems to be to score, often at the expense of players in better positions - of course that can change but he hasn't really shown what he is capable of as a no.10 for the first team, certainly not to the extent where we can say he'd have a bigger impact than as our CF and top scorer, imv

Well as they say Stop! Hammer time and you do make a good point, i see him more as a Teddy type player who has the ability to do both skills equally. And if you watch him he is always dropping deep to find space ( and he is very good at it) and where he has the advantage over most players who play the 10 role he is a better finisher then most.

I am not knocking the guy in the slightest but ( imo) i think playing behind a line leader would enable Kane to become a even better player. But we shall see as the final decision will be down to Poch.

Well as they say Stop! Hammer time and you do make a good point, i see him more as a Teddy type player who has the ability to do both skills equally. And if you watch him he is always dropping deep to find space ( and he is very good at it) and where he has the advantage over most players who play the 10 role he is a better finisher then most.

I am not knocking the guy in the slightest but ( imo) i think playing behind a line leader would enable Kane to become a even better player. But we shall see as the final decision will be down to Poch.

I agree

It's seems crazy to take the top scorer in the league and move him back but that cousin be a great option against the teams that park the bus

Have to say I've been really impressed with Jannsens attitude and approach.

coming deep and starting deep are different things though - Rose and Walker like to attack but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd make good wingers... Kane to me looks at his best when at the end of a move, his over riding instinct seems to be to score, often at the expense of players in better positions - of course that can change but he hasn't really shown what he is capable of as a no.10 for the first team, certainly not to the extent where we can say he'd have a bigger impact there than as our CF, where he is a 20+ a season goal scorer, imv

One concern I have is that last season I noted a number of times Kane would come deep or go out to the flank (more often the left) and he would have the ball but there would either be nobody or just one play in the box

One concern I have is that last season I noted a number of times Kane would come deep or go out to the flank (more often the left) and he would have the ball but there would either be nobody or just one play in the box

I agree that happened quite a bit and that is why ( imo) Kane is more then a striker and he enjoys ( and more to the point) he is good at doing just that. It does seem daft to say that someone who can/has scored as many goals as he has could become a better player but unlike most strikers he has a lot more to his game and again ( imo) he will become even better if he can do that and know that we will have a striker who has the ability to make runs and hold up in the box waiting for his pass.

Now i know that its only been the one game for Jannsen but so far ( and before someone says " its early days") he looks like he is a good player who will progress.

I agree

It's seems crazy to take the top scorer in the league and move him back but that cousin be a great option against the teams that park the bus

Have to say I've been really impressed with Jannsens attitude and approach.

its all about options really and Kane deeper with Janssen as the CF is one of the many we now have - as with my earlier post though i think we have 6 great players for the front 4 positions, with several more who offer variety maybe a rung below

i didn't expect to see us move away from the double pivot in midfield last season but we did - to great success, so who knows really how it will pan out - i think a lot will come down to the form of the players and what clicks

its all about options really and Kane deeper with Janssen as the CF is one of the many we now have - as with my earlier post though i think we have 6 great players for the front 4 positions, with several more who offer variety maybe a rung below

i didn't expect to see us move away from the double pivot in midfield last season but we did - to great success, so who knows really how it will pan out - i think a lot will come down to the form of the players and what clicks

Exactly we all thought it would be a lot of mason and bentaleb again last season.........and we barely saw either.

I agree that happened quite a bit and that is why ( imo) Kane is more then a striker and he enjoys ( and more to the point) he is good at doing just that. It does seem daft to say that someone who can/has scored as many goals as he has could become a better player but unlike most strikers he has a lot more to his game and again ( imo) he will become even better if he can do that and know that we will have a striker who has the ability to make runs and hold up in the box waiting for his pass.

Now i know that its only been the one game for Jannsen but so far ( and before someone says " its early days") he looks like he is a good player who will progress.

it's early days........

Back