• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Poor first half today. Sloppy in possession and must take part of the blame for the goal we conceded by giving away a needless free kick. Better in the second half. I would like to see Dier in his place if we ever have both our first choice center backs available though.
I thought he was excellent (yet again) was a huge factor in us completely controlling the game away against a good side.

I thought he was excellent (yet again) was a huge factor in us completely controlling the game away against a good side.
Bit of a mixed game IMO.

Did very well at ensuring we were protected and got the ball back, didn't lose possession much, but was also the main reason Alli,Eriksen and Sissoko didn't get the ball in space much.

Last edited:
Bit of a mixed game IMO.

Did very well at ensuring we were protected and got the ball back, didn't lose possession much, but was also the main reason Alli,Eriksen and Sissoko didn't get the ball in space much.
(no surprise to see Dier fanboy Gutter Boy liking your post there!)

I disagree with you.... We went to Southampton and played them off the park for all but the first 15 minutes. We are probably the first team to do that to them this season. I thought that our attacking midfielders had the ball in many promising situations in Wednesday's game.

I can't help thinking that because some people really like Dier they want to find ways to discredit Wanyama's worth to the team. My thoughts are that he is simply a better player than Dier in that defensive midfield role.

I disagree with you.... We went to Southampton and played them off the park for all but the first 15 minutes. We are probably the first team to do that to them this season. I thought that our attacking midfielders had the ball in many promising situations in Wednesday's game.

I can't help thinking that because some people really like Dier they want to find ways to discredit Wanyama's worth to the team. My thoughts are that he is simply a better player than Dier in that defensive midfield role.
He is. I simply don't see the need to play the defensive midfield role in a 4-2-3-1. It's one of the benefits of the formation - no wasted passers.

We played Southampton off the park in the last half an hour of the first half? We must have watched different games.

For me Wanyama was (again) fairly ineffectual and close to a passenger when we had the ball for as long as Southampton managed to keep up their high pressure. When Southampton faded a bit and didn't get their reward for pressing high up Wanyama looked better as he got time on the ball.

Did what he does well when we started controlling the game. Stopping counter attacks, moving the ball reasonably well with simple passing. A couple of good attacking involvements too. But entirely unspectacular.

No, Dier is suffering from a "Euros hangover".

He is. I simply don't see the need to play the defensive midfield role in a 4-2-3-1. It's one of the benefits of the formation - no wasted passers.

I may be mistaken, but didn't we play Mason and Bentaleb in the two of a 4-2-3-1?

I seem to remember a lot of moaning that both players let opposing midfielders run off them and that they had the odd loose pass in them.

I think you do need one DM as part of that pairing. We're seeing that this year and we saw it last with Dier matched with Dembele.

I may be mistaken, but didn't we play Mason and Bentaleb in the two of a 4-2-3-1?

I seem to remember a lot of moaning that both players let opposing midfielders run off them and that they had the odd loose pass in them.

I think you do need one DM as part of that pairing. We're seeing that this year and we saw it last with Dier matched with Dembele.
Dier's definitely not a DM - he moves the ball far better than that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Dier's definitely not a DM - he moves the ball far better than that.

Sent from my SM-G925F using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Dier as a much a DM as you are likely to see and besides, moving the ball around well doesn't mean a player isn't a DM, it just means he's good on the ball - and to be quite honest im not sure where the idea that he's so great on the ball comes from anyway - the odd long range effort aside he's a pretty standard passer of the ball.#

BuBI8Kp.png

one of the above is Dier from last season, a player who is good on the ball and the other is Wanyama from this season, a player who gets criticized for his ability on the ball - feel free to take a guess which is which

Last edited:
It's funny how we all loved Sandro and his use of the ball and forward play were at least as poor as Wanyama's

Last edited:
Dier as a much a DM as you are likely to see and besides, moving the ball around well doesn't mean a player isn't a DM, it just means he's good on the ball - and to be quite honest im not sure where the idea that he's so great on the ball comes from anyway - the odd long range effort aside he's a pretty standard passer of the ball.#

BuBI8Kp.png

one of the above is Dier from last season, a player who is good on the ball and the other is Wanyama from this season, a player who gets criticized for his ability on the ball - feel free to take a guess which is which
I suspect the one on the right is Wanyama as he is hovering around 88% completion this season.

I think you've completely misunderstood what I mean by moving the ball - you don't need to be a good passer (but it helps) and the passes don't need to be forward. What you need to do is read the game, move the ball quickly and in a manner that advances the team's attacking intentions.

A really good example that's easy to spot is when the get the ball from Lloris. Dier either comes deep first and takes the ball facing away from goal, or he comes back late and takes it on the half turn. When Wanyama comes to get the ball, he always drops back late and takes it facing our own goal. The extra time taken to turn and look up is the kind of thing that just takes a beat out of our passing rhythm.

And we've improved since then - so should our expectations.

I think that Wanyama is a step up and I think that there will be more to come. I think that Dier is great but Wanyama has played well this season and has been improving. I am sure that Dier will get his chance in midfield soon enough, I think that it is best for us if he has to fight get his place back when his chance comes. What a great problem to have.

I think that Wanyama is a step up and I think that there will be more to come. I think that Dier is great but Wanyama has played well this season and has been improving. I am sure that Dier will get his chance in midfield soon enough, I think that it is best for us if he has to fight get his place back when his chance comes. What a great problem to have.
It is a great problem.

In most recent seasons Wanyama would be the automatic first choice, that's just the wrong option when Dier's on the bench.

Back