• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

I think they play well together, so this should Dier or should it be Wanyama debate does not really have to be a choice. Dembélé was very good last season but so far ( imo) both Dier and Wanyama have done better when they have played in the centre.

Weren't they terrible when they played together at the start of the season? All of August we were turgid as hell.

He has been excellent for us and it's a real bargain even at £11n
Maybe you should tell @Gutter Boy that

First of all I want a consistent DM pairing.
Second if Wanyama is going to replace Dier as Dembele's partner he has to be clearly better than Dier.
Given that we finished in the top 4 last season and Dier was a stand out performer, he deserves, both on merit and loyalty to be first choice as DM partner to Dembele.
That only changes if he gets a run of games as DM with Dembele and performs badly. He absolutely does not lose his place should he put in sub par performances as CB if asked to play there.

I can only think that Poch believes Wanyama is a better choice at DM than Dier. But even if that is the case - why take the risk. After all we were very close to coming second - that's not so bad is it.

An alternative view is that Harry Kane winning the Golden Boots and not missing 7 weeks of the season may have been a factor in us coming 3rd in the league. Besides the major factor in us Wanyama is playing too well to be dropped on current form. Apart from suspension I see no reason why he should lose his place

While Wanyama in isolation has played well, I do think he limits us going forward and we might look better as a team with a slightly different player there.

And yet the stats below do not support your view

Wanyama replaced Dier but I don't know if he has improved our game overall. Dier had some really good direct passes that Wanyama lacks. Poch's favourite methinks.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The point is Wanyama has excelled as a defensive midfielder just like Dier did last season and our team as a whole is doing no worse than this time last season

But I still think Dier last season was better and I think we're better overall with an in form Dier.

I think most people on here who think we were better last season with Dier are not comparing like for like. Do not compare us this season to the Spurs that finished 3rd after 38 games but instead compare Wanyama in a Spurs team after 16 games with a Dier in a Spurs team last season after 16 games

So on the basis that a number of people on here consider feel we are a lesser team with Wanyama as opposed to Dier lets consider the following, but before we do remember that

1 the league is patiently stronger this season than last
2 we were without our best defender for about 7 weeks
3 we were without our best striker for about 7 weeks
4 Dembele has not been a fixture in our midfield due to injury and suspension
5 Eriksen it seems has only in the last month found his mojo
6 Dele is displaying the natural inconsistency of youth
7 Actually ignore 1-6 if you want it does not really matter

2015/2016-------------------------------------------------------2016/2017
Clean sheets 5-------------------------------------------------Clean sheets 7
Failed To Score 3----------------------------------------------Failed To Score 2
Goals Conceded 14--------------------------------------------Goals Conceded 11
Goals Scored 26-----------------------------------------------Goals Scored 27
Total Points 26------------------------------------------------Total Points 30
Scored 3+ Goals 3-----------------------------------------------Scored 3+ Goals 4

So after 16 matches in the league compared to last season I think it is fair to say that is nothing but a myth to suggest we are basically a worse team with Wanyama in it

For the record I think Dier is quality

Maybe you should tell @Gutter Boy that

An alternative view is that Harry Kane winning the Golden Boots and not missing 7 weeks of the season may have been a factor in us coming 3rd in the league. Besides the major factor in us Wanyama is playing too well to be dropped on current form. Apart from suspension I see no reason why he should lose his place

And yet the stats below do not support your view

The point is Wanyama has excelled as a defensive midfielder just like Dier did last season and our team as a whole is doing no worse than this time last season

I think most people on here who think we were better last season with Dier are not comparing like for like. Do not compare us this season to the Spurs that finished 3rd after 38 games but instead compare Wanyama in a Spurs team after 16 games with a Dier in a Spurs team last season after 16 games

So on the basis that a number of people on here consider feel we are a lesser team with Wanyama as opposed to Dier lets consider the following, but before we do remember that

1 the league is patiently stronger this season than last
2 we were without our best defender for about 7 weeks
3 we were without our best striker for about 7 weeks
4 Dembele has not been a fixture in our midfield due to injury and suspension
5 Eriksen it seems has only in the last month found his mojo
6 Dele is displaying the natural inconsistency of youth
7 Actually ignore 1-6 if you want it does not really matter

2015/2016-------------------------------------------------------2016/2017
Clean sheets 5-------------------------------------------------Clean sheets 7
Failed To Score 3----------------------------------------------Failed To Score 2
Goals Conceded 14--------------------------------------------Goals Conceded 11
Goals Scored 26-----------------------------------------------Goals Scored 27
Total Points 26------------------------------------------------Total Points 30
Scored 3+ Goals 3-----------------------------------------------Scored 3+ Goals 4

So after 16 matches in the league compared to last season I think it is fair to say that is nothing but a myth to suggest we are basically a worse team with Wanyama in it

For the record I think Dier is quality

What's important to remember is that Dier had the benefit of playing alongside a fit and on form Dembele for most of last season, Wanyama hasn't had that luxury. In fact I seem to remember our form without Dembele in the side being a big concern going in to this season and I think if you were to compare our form across the two seasons without him then this season with Wanyama in there it is much improved.

What's important to remember is that Dier had the benefit of playing alongside a fit and on form Dembele for most of last season, Wanyama hasn't had that luxury. In fact I seem to remember our form without Dembele in the side being a big concern going in to this season and I think if you were to compare our form across the two seasons without him then this season with Wanyama in there it is much improved.

100% I don't know how to use the like button

There's a good chance that Dembele's performance could be affected by the kind of player he's next to.

It would make sense that Dembele would have to do more of the playmaking next to Wanyama than Dier, leaving him less free to do the other stuff he's good at.

There's a good chance that Dembele's performance could be affected by the kind of player he's next to.

It would make sense that Dembele would have to do more of the playmaking next to Wanyama than Dier, leaving him less free to do the other stuff he's good at.

Regretfully, Dembele is only a shadow of himself in games so far this season. He looks less athletic, leggier and oppositions seem to have worked out that he drops a shoulder and almost always turns to his left. He is not the beast of last season. He even loses out in some 50-50 challenges, which was unheard of last season.

Think you're reaching there tbh

Dembele has hardly had a run of games due to suspension/injury and it's our record without him which is telling, not that with him

Last edited:
http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/sports/2016/12/15/wanted-tell-bench-off-says-wanyama/

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Victor Wanyama has said he had to run to the bench after scoring Spurs’ third goal in their 3-0 result against Hull City on Wednesday to ‘tell them off’ after being given a stick for missing a huge chance in the 1-0 defeat to Manchester United last weekend.

The Harambee Stars skipper netted the third goal for Spurs after hitting the rebound off a Cristian Eriksen free-kick, his second since joining the North London club from Southampton in the summer.

“I have been having a tough week; it started against Swansea then the chance at United. The staff has been telling me there’s no point going to the goal because I keep on passing to the keeper and not scoring,” Wanyama told Spurs’ official TV channel after the Hull match.

“It really was in my heart and I said from this week I will be staying on in training to do my finishing and prove them wrong. Today I was at the right place and I managed to score and I went on the bench to tell them off,” Wanyama added with a cheeky smile on his face.

He says the missed chance at Old Trafford still haunts him especially with his side having been a goal down.

“I don’t want to see it (the replay) again. I did everything right, but I headed the ball with my face. That should have been a goal. I was really disappointed I couldn’t score that. But the goal against Hull gives me confidence to step up and continue,” the midfielder said.

His coach Mauricio Pochettino said he was also impressed with the Kenyan’s response after the Old Trafford miss.

“Yes, in a funny way we’ve killed him a little bit, but in the same way we said ‘okay, in the next game you must score, you need to score’.

“He came to the bench with Jesus, Toni and Miguel and it’s important for the player. It was funny and I’m happy, the third goal helped us to be more comfortable in the game and end with a good feeling.” Pochettino told Spurs TV after the win.

Spurs will be at home to Burnley this weekend and Wanyama believes that it will be a tight fixture against the Clarets and only hopes his side can pick up from the midweek win and keep their positive momentum.

“These are the tough teams to play against. They try to stop you from everything but hopefully come Sunday we will continue from where we have left, play like this and come out with three points,” Wanyama added.

Think you're reaching there tbh

Dembele has hardly had a run of games due to suspension/injury and it's our record without him which is telling, not that with him

He hasn't been the same since he picked up that injury against in the Euros.
This season's Dembele has been playing within himself mostly.

Our record without him this season* is P8 W6 D2 L0. That's 2.5 points per game.
Our record with him this season* is P13 W3 D5 L5. That's 0.77 points per game.

*That's excluding the 2 EFL Cup games were we played a second string

He hasn't been the same since he picked up that injury against in the Euros.
This season's Dembele has been playing within himself mostly.

Our record without him this season* is P8 W6 D2 L0. That's 2.5 points per game.
Our record with him this season* is P13 W3 D5 L5. That's 0.77 points per game.

*That's excluding the 2 EFL Cup games were we played a second string

Do you have our record without him from last season to hand by any chance?

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...tottenham?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Victor Wanyama was expected to be a squad player at Tottenham but he has already moved to the top of Mauricio Pochettino's midfield pecking order. We assess his impact ahead of his return to former club Southampton live on Sky Sports.

To appreciate Victor Wanyama's impact at Tottenham, you only need to look at Eric Dier. The England international started all but one of their Premier League games after seamlessly swapping central defence for holding midfield last season, but since Wanyama's arrival from Southampton, his place in Mauricio Pochettino's team is no longer secure.

Dier has, of course, been required to provide cover in defence, but he was out of the team altogether before Toby Alderweireld was struck down by a knee injury in October, with Wanyama already established as the first-choice holder. Last week, Pochettino was even asked to respond to speculation linking Dier with a move away from the club.

The Spurs boss emphatically rejected those claims, but it's an interesting change of dynamic nonetheless. Wanyama was signed to add depth to Tottenham's squad. There was little expectation that he would go on to start 23 of their first 25 games. In the Premier League, only Jan Vertonghen has played more minutes for Spurs.

Having left Southampton as a key player, Wanyama returns to St Mary's Stadium on Wednesday with similar status at Spurs. It has not been a straight-forward start to the season for Pochettino's side, but only Chelsea have conceded fewer Premier League goals, and Wanyama has contributed more interceptions and more ball recoveries than any other player.

The Kenyan has added considerable power to Spurs' midfield, and there have been goals, too. Wanyama scored their third in their 3-0 win over Hull City earlier this month, and he introduced himself to the White Hart Lane crowd with a late winner against Crystal Palace in the opening home game of the campaign back in August.

"It feels like I have been at the club for years," Wanyama said afterwards. Pochettino added: "It is important for the new players to feel the love from the supporters. We know Victor very well. He is a great guy, a great player, and it was good for him to score to help the team."

A glaring miss in Spurs' 1-0 defeat to Manchester United was a reminder that he is not a natural in front of goal, but Pochettino hasn't had to think twice about placing his trust in Wanyama. It was the Argentine who took him from Celtic to Southampton in 2013, after all, and the strong relationship they formed on the south coast made the move to Spurs an easy decision for Wanyama.

"He played a big part in convincing me to join the club," he told FourFourTwo. "I had a few options but he was able to convince me to come here because I had worked with him before and know he is a manager who will improve players. Pochettino is a really good person outside football as well as in football. He's like a father figure, always speaking with everyone and giving them advice."

The admiration is mutual, but it's not yet universal. Some Tottenham supporters have questioned the wisdom behind breaking up the Dier-Dembele midfield axis that proved so successful last season. Wanyama is not quite as technically accomplished as Dier, and his passing is not always as quick and incisive.

It can slow Spurs down on occasions, but the differences are subtle. In fact, the stats show Wanyama rarely wastes a pass. His success rate of 87.8 per cent is only bettered by Mousa Dembele and Harry Winks at Spurs, and it also compares favourably to Dier's 83.3 per cent success rate last season. He may not be quite as adventurous - he certainly makes fewer long passes - but his distribution is generally reliable.

The reliability is a large part of the reason why he has become so important to Pochettino again. Wanyama's work tends to go unnoticed, but Spurs remain one of the Premier League's strongest defensive units and the Kenyan has been a key part of that.

Pochettino has plenty of options with Alderweireld expected to be fit on Wednesday night, but there is little evidence to suggest Wanyama will be the fall guy. He returns to his old stomping ground as a prominent part of Pochettino's plans.

Poor first half today. Sloppy in possession and must take part of the blame for the goal we conceded by giving away a needless free kick. Better in the second half. I would like to see Dier in his place if we ever have both our first choice center backs available though.

Poor first half today. Sloppy in possession and must take part of the blame for the goal we conceded by giving away a needless free kick. Better in the second half. I would like to see Dier in his place if we ever have both our first choice center backs available though.

Absolutely it is time for Dier to come back in, I think Poch is a manager who very much has his favourites.

No one mentioned his Messiesque dribble into the box? A certain goal saved by a great last ditch tackle. Anyone have a gif?

No one mentioned his Messi-esque dribble into the box and shot? A certain goal saved by a last ditch block. Anyone have a gif?

Giving away free kicks that close to the area is something he has done a few times this season. Away at Everton on the opening day springs to mind. He's played very well a lot of games, but still needs to cut the needless fouls out.

Back