• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

Much needed addition as we lack natural cover for Dier but potentially have Dembele cover via Bentaleb.

Now need a CF and another quality winger/attacker

A bit underwhelming tbh. Also I see him being the only midfield signing this summer and who will step in for either Dier or Dembele when needed. We know that Poch likes a small squad. If he can go through a season with 3 centre backs and 1 striker then dont expect an overload in midfield either.

Winks and possibly Onomoah will be the others to fill the central mid spots

I just wonder if Wanyama has enough quality on the ball.

A bit underwhelming tbh. Also I see him being the only midfield signing this summer and who will step in for either Dier or Dembele when needed. We know that Poch likes a small squad. If he can go through a season with 3 centre backs and 1 striker then dont expect an overload in midfield either.

Agree about his quality on the ball, however he plays as a beast in front of the back 4, so being a playmaker isn't needed for him.

Also worth remembering that this indirectly gives us more cover at CB given that, as we would now have a natural stand-in for Dier, Dier could move to CB for some games or to cover TA with Wanyama in the DM role

Personally I don't think we need more CM additions this summer. We have two DMs, and if Poch can get Bentaleb's head right this summer, then he could cover Dembele. We also have Eriksen and Alli who can cover Dembele. The other two additions we need are a CF (obviously) and someone to cover Eriksen and Lamela given that our back-ups in those positions are significiantly inferior

SSN reporting that their sources say that in addition to signing wanyama, Poch wants 3 more players; a central defender, attacking midfielder and a striker.

Personally I'm beginning to think that with Wanyama in and with Dier able to play central defence, CCV coming through and with an already established central defence pairing, whether we really need to pursue another central defender unless he is a top top class prospect such as Umtiti but think he is barca bound?

We do need either Witsel or Wijnaldrum now and we will have a beast of midfield options, whilst being able to sell a few of the fringe ones.

Meanwhile are Marseille looking ever more nervously at their bank balance!?

Excellent signing ! Big Vic seems to be a card magnet though and picks up a lot of suspensions, give him a break refs :mad:

Wanyama started as a CB didn't he, then converted to a DM.

So maybe he'd be an option there as well/ahead of Dier, if CB injuries stack up

it may not be a glamorous signing but i think it could well prove to be the most important bit of business we do this summer - our first season under Poch the defensive record was poor, he tweaked the way we setup the following summer, signed Alderweierld and moved Dier in as a DM and the result was the meanest defense in the league - this season our major problem was seeing out games from winning positions and i think this transfer is how we plan on rectifying that, not that i expect to see Wanyama only used to see out games in the final stages - but it gives us that option, one we didn't really have last season and had we had that option we may well have been sitting here as Champions...

They are in the process of a takeover and their new owners have promised them £300m to spend on their squad to compete with PSG next season

Slightly disturbing news although not sure ffp will allow for a transfer splurge north of 100m.

Still confident we'll get our man for closer to 20m than the 30m Marseille want, simply because by all accounts he has told Marseille he only wants Spurs.

An old levy trick which has produced the desired result on more than one occasion in the recent past :)

it may not be a glamorous signing but i think it could well prove to be the most important bit of business we do this summer - our first season under Poch the defensive record was poor, he tweaked the way we setup the following summer, signed Alderweierld and moved Dier in as a DM and the result was the meanest defense in the league - this season our major problem was seeing out games from winning positions and i think this transfer is how we plan on rectifying that, not that i expect to see Wanyama only used to see out games in the final stages - but it gives us that option, one we didn't really have last season and had we had that option we may well have been sitting here as Champions...

This is the way i see it as well, he is not a highlight signing but it gives us better options in the CM.

If truth be told I am not bothered whether he starts or whether he is on the bench, the important thing is that he will increase the overall quality of our first team squad which is a good thing.

In all four competitions I could easily see Dier and Wanyama picking 20 yellow cards between them next season :)

This is the way i see it as well, he is not a highlight signing but it gives us better options in the CM.

Agreed. But with Poch's record, he takes good players, and turns them into highlight players. And I think Wanyama fits that bill. He's still raw, but could be a real player. If we sign him and add a forward the squad will be in good shape.

Slightly disturbing news although not sure ffp will allow for a transfer splurge north of 100m.

Still confident we'll get our man for closer to 20m than the 30m Marseille want, simply because by all accounts he has told Marseille he only wants Spurs.

An old levy trick which has produced the desired result on more than one occasion in the recent past :)

Iran Air will just sponsor the stadium for £300m, the same way as City and PSG fiddle it

The player has actually talked a lot recently about wanting to stay. If they're going to be competitive at the top end of the league again, that could definitely convince him.

No sense in holding back Ball's development if we now have Wanyama. He won't get any game time ahead of Dier and Wanyama.

Haven't been very impressed by Wanyama when I've seen him, to be honest, but have admittedly not seen a lot of him. I remember him looking quite Huddlestone-esque in his movements (quite slow?) and that he missed with quite a few passes. Seemed strong and able to tackle/dispossess though.

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Last edited:
Back