• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VDV

i think his work rate is criminally under looked, he tends to tire early but id wager he covers more ground than most in the first 60-75 minutes of a game easily

This. Rafa always tops our stats for workrate.

I think he could play the most advanced one of the midfield trio (remember he has even played in the 2 in Holland's 4-2-3-1 before), or on the right (AVB's front 3 have been a bit lopsided in the past).

VDV is our most creative player at the moment. aside from goals he is a constant threat to defensive with his quick thinking and adventurous passes/shots.

also he's an attacking player more than a defensive player so i feel he was not used to his best abilities under redknapp. he can do more for the team in attack and I'm hoping that the new regime will recognize this.

Think if we don't get Sig, he will definitely have his part to play. But I think it depends on his sell-on value. At this point if we can get 15-20m for him I wouldn't mind his departure especially if that money could go towards bringing in Oscar and Sig. Replacing Modric with Oscar isn't all that bad IMO if we can come out with a net gain of 15m+. Add Sig to that and we have a midfield 3 that would be pretty tasty. VdV's biggest knock is that he isn't mobile enough. Something that's a bit more important when playing in a midfield 3.

Bale ----- Adebayor ---- Lennon
------- Oscar ------- Sig -----------
--------------- Sandro ---------------
Benny - Verts - Kaboul - Walker
--------------- Friedel ----------------

Looks good to me

Yep,gettting rid of 1 of 3 players we have that are truely top level (when another of the 3 already looks highly likey to leave). Oh, and did I mention he was 2nd on the goals/assists chart as well, and we are also likely to lose the guy who is 1st?

All players move on, but to move VDV on right now, where the club is, would strike me as extremely foolish.

And I find it amazing how everyone thinks AVB is going to walk into the club and immediately throw out 3-5 of our best players for some "system". If that is the only route/plan he has, then I'm truely worried.

VdV is a fantastic player,but our team is built around him.Under Harry he had all the freedom in the world when playing just behind Ade.It will be interesting to see in which attacking position the new manager will play him

To me it all depends on who we get in to replace him. VDV has been a great player, but like Ade in fits and starts. He goes for long stretches not having any real impact.

He works maniacally hard most games. Way too much, actually, because he's then completely fagged out for the last fifteen to twenty minutes.

He'd fit into AVB's system as the right-sided CM. Him and Sigurdsson could, and should, rotate over the course of the season.

I sincerely hope he doesn't go. He's one of the best players I've seen in a Spurs shirt, and his goals (especially against our beloved neighbors) are a joy to watch because of the passion he shows for scoring them. He loves it here, and we love him. What more reason do you need to keep him?

I agree with those that say VDV isn't lazy. He does work hard throughout a match (although he is not our hardest working player despite how much a certain poster will try and pass that off as fact!), and he does cover a lot of distance mainly because he drops deep from his forward position on a regular basis. And covering distance during a match isn't the same as working hard. Constantly jogging around the pitch without ever really pushing yourself to high intensity will get you a lot of distance covered during 90 mins for example. (but I repeat, I do think VDV does work hard).

However, from what I have seen of AVB at Chelsea I don't think VDV has much of a long term future and here is why:

1) AVB likes fast players. VDV may work hard, but he is slow and not very agile.

2) VDV can't play central midfield in the Premiership on a regular basis to good effect. The game is too fast there. If he did play there he'd have to play the "Lampard" role and we all remember Lampard (despite scoring goals) was dropped. One of the big reasons Lampard was apparently dropped was because he was too slow. VDV also can't play central midfield because defensively he is very poor.

3) VDV loves to roam. AVB's Chelsea side were very rigid, and players who stepped outside of the tactical game plan were dropped for defying the Manager. AVB is a tactical Manager who has a game plan and for it to work it's imperitive players follow it.

4) VDV is a fiery so and so. AVB doesn't like fiery players, and will bench them, stick them in the reserves and/or sell them at first opportunity the first time they cross him.

5) The best role for VDV in AVB's system would appear to be right inside forward, but again I can't see AVB utilising him there due to lack of pace.

6) Squad rotation, AVB loves it. Will VDV be happy sitting on the bench? No, he'll want to leave.

I'd be surprised if VDV leaves this Summer, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if he was gone in January.

I agree with those that say VDV isn't lazy. He does work hard throughout a match (although he is not our hardest working player despite how much a certain poster will try and pass that off as fact!), and he does cover a lot of distance mainly because he drops deep from his forward position on a regular basis. And covering distance during a match isn't the same as working hard. Constantly jogging around the pitch without ever really pushing yourself to high intensity will get you a lot of distance covered during 90 mins for example. (but I repeat, I do think VDV does work hard).

However, from what I have seen of AVB at Chelsea I don't think VDV has much of a long term future and here is why:

1) AVB likes fast players. VDV may work hard, but he is slow and not very agile.

2) VDV can't play central midfield in the Premiership on a regular basis to good effect. The game is too fast there. If he did play there he'd have to play the "Lampard" role and we all remember Lampard (despite scoring goals) was dropped. One of the big reasons Lampard was apparently dropped was because he was too slow. VDV also can't play central midfield because defensively he is very poor.

3) VDV loves to roam. AVB's Chelsea side were very rigid, and players who stepped outside of the tactical game plan were dropped for defying the Manager. AVB is a tactical Manager who has a game plan and for it to work it's imperitive players follow it.

4) VDV is a fiery so and so. AVB doesn't like fiery players, and will bench them, stick them in the reserves and/or sell them at first opportunity the first time they cross him.

5) The best role for VDV in AVB's system would appear to be right inside forward, but again I can't see AVB utilising him there due to lack of pace.

6) Squad rotation, AVB loves it. Will VDV be happy sitting on the bench? No, he'll want to leave.

I'd be surprised if VDV leaves this Summer, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if he was gone in January.

Pretty much spot on.

Everyone largely agrees that AVB has a system, and then fits players into it, rather than taking the best players and devising a system to fit them, so inevitably some of our squad aren't going to be fancied, and I can see van der Vaart being one of them (particularly as he is 29 and at his peak value, so Levy probably won't take much convincing to cash in).

On the other hand, there are always players that look an unlikely fit that end up flourishing, so who knows? I just can't see where he would play in AVB's preferred setup, and I think that we are being linked with a lot of attacking midfield/withdrawn forward types, such as Sigurdsson and Oscar, may suggest that AVB wants a different set of characteristics for that role.

i think his work rate is criminally under looked, he tends to tire early but id wager he covers more ground than most in the first 60-75 minutes of a game easily

Football games are 90+ minutes long, not 60-75.

This is my one genuine comlpaint with VDV. There are two big issues here.

1) It doesnt matter how much ground he covers in an hour if he cant last the match. He needs to be reliable in finishing games.

2) If he is covering more ground than anyone in the team in that time, WTF is he doing?! He is supposed to be playing off of the striker/ahead of midfield - he shouldnt be covering excessive amounts of ground unless he is leaving his position (and therefore Ade)

Fantastic footballer, one who I think could thrive in an AVB type team (most likely as the tip of the midfield 3). I also think if AVB were to make him play with a little more discipline he would be EVEN MORE productive.

Football games are 90+ minutes long, not 60-75.

This is my one genuine comlpaint with VDV. There are two big issues here.

1) It doesnt matter how much ground he covers in an hour if he cant last the match. He needs to be reliable in finishing games.

2) If he is covering more ground than anyone in the team in that time, WTF is he doing?! He is supposed to be playing off of the striker/ahead of midfield - he shouldnt be covering excessive amounts of ground unless he is leaving his position (and therefore Ade)

Fantastic footballer, one who I think could thrive in an AVB type team (most likely as the tip of the midfield 3). I also think if AVB were to make him play with a little more discipline he would be EVEN MORE productive.

i even think there are some games that he flat out refuses to push himself in if he just doesnt feel like it

He is that sort of player. When he fancies it though he isnt smart in where he applies his effort, he just runs himself into the ground (and injury niggles)

Reminds me a lot of Keane in respect of running all over the pitch when instead he could be more valuable if he just held his position (though I think Keane was certainly a lot fitter)

If VDV WANTS to be at the club more than Modric does, then by that fact alone, he is 'worth more to us' than an overrated rat-faced weasel boy who only wants to look out for himself, and not give a fudge about the club he plays for... OK, over-rated is just bitterness on my part... he's a VERY GOOD FOOTBALLER! But I think Modric has 'gone' if not in body, then already in spirit...

IF VDV wants to stay, and work under AVB, then of COURSE we couldn't live without him... but if he too decides THFC isn't for him, then we'd have to start looking elsewhere.
Shame, I was looking forward to an entire Club of TRI-INITIALLED staff:

AVB
BAE
VDV
ADE.... (OK, not quite!)

Would be such a shame if he left, considering his talent and how much he genuinely loves the club. Would rather that than him being installed into a system which just doesn't suit him though.

If Rafa and Luka leaves we might as well not bother any more. In fact we should just withdraw from the league right now to save us the pain when the time comes. Sell off all the assets and let Lewis have his yacht.

Pretty much spot on.

Everyone largely agrees that AVB has a system, and then fits players into it, rather than taking the best players and devising a system to fit them, so inevitably some of our squad aren't going to be fancied, and I can see van der Vaart being one of them (particularly as he is 29 and at his peak value, so Levy probably won't take much convincing to cash in).

On the other hand, there are always players that look an unlikely fit that end up flourishing, so who knows? I just can't see where he would play in AVB's preferred setup, and I think that we are being linked with a lot of attacking midfield/withdrawn forward types, such as Sigurdsson and Oscar, may suggest that AVB wants a different set of characteristics for that role.

As is often the case with players who they love, a lot of fans are in denial. A new manager often comes in and makes changes, including dropping (replacing) fan favourites. AVB waltzed into Chelsea and wanting to ditch Drogba, Lampard and Cole is a prime example. I wouldn't be at all shocked if he comes into Spurs and makes similar changes.

Back