• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

If you and I are aware that things look different slowed down, I am sure that the ref's are too.
From what I could see, the ref spent the most time looking at a 1 second clip going ofrwards and backwards at full speed over and over.

So, another major fudge up and the biggest match in the world ruined

Also completely missed Pogba being offside, then interfering, for the first goal

Thought it was a penalty straight away; looking at it from umpteen angles at different speeds only confirmed that. His hand was away from his body and moved towards the ball, which was then deflected from the trajectory it would have taken across the goalmouth. Couldn’t really have been much clearer imo.

Not the biggest match in the world
Match wasnt ruined
Pogba wasn't offside because he didn't touch the ball or obstruct a view/path to it

Does that cover it all?

The match was even until that point. That wrong decision gifted the game to France

Pogba contested the header with Mandzukic - pressurising him into the mistake

It was a clear penalty once the replays were shown - honestly some people will argue black is white to have a pop at VAR

"Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm."

It's not deliberate when the ball changed direction a nano-second before it hit him.

Not a penalty in a million years

I don't GB, he could have instinctively kept his arm there to prevent the ball from going closer to the goal. I wasn't a ball to hand situation. I think between the VAR studio guys and the referee they made the right decision.

"Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm."

It's not deliberate when the ball changed direction a nano-second before it hit him.

Not a penalty in a million years

He moved his hand toward the ball when it came in to his view, the replay shows this was clearly a case of ball to hand and sportsmen have good enough reflexes to make such actions deliberate - seen goalkeepers pull off saves (or attempt them) with less time to react than here.

Last edited:
The match was even until that point. That wrong decision gifted the game to France

Pogba contested the header with Mandzukic - pressurising him into the mistake
Mandzukic didn't even know Pogba was there.

That was the only set piece in the whole match he was watching the ball instead of doing his Neymar impression

The ref apparently didn't see the handball. Thats fair enough.

All VAR has done is enable him to have a (good) look at a potential infringement he did not see.

All the arguing about whether it was a penalty or not is not VAR's fault.

Without VAR the only outcome was 'no penalty' simply because the ref didn't see it, which in this and many other games is not really good enough.

He could have come away from the screen and said 'no penalty' and that would have been ok as well (as he can interprete the law/offence as he sees it), but at least he had the two options available to him.

It is an enabler.

Back