• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

That Nigeria VAR penalty shout, does it mean that you now get two bites of the cherry, the advantage to shoot and if you miss a possible penalty, if its outside the box? Is this a rule change?

The advantage rule (law 5) has existed for a while, way before VAR.

I'm not against tech in football. I'm for it actually but I don't like VAR as it is currently implemented. There are too many post match discusions about var rather than football. I say bring it in for absolute black and white decisions first, and then ease a few more subjective ones down the road. Crawl first.

(you are going all Trumpian on Shearer there btw).
They talk about contentious decisions anyway,(VAR or not), and remind me what pundits you look forward to talking football post game.;) (Roy Keane obviously:D)

There may be rules written in black and white but their interpretations is largely subjective. I don't think you can argue that, and I don't think VAR has improved things that much as to outweigh the disruption it brings to a game. If it improves the game and gets super streamlined then cool, I'll get on board. This though I don't like.

That’s the third part of my question, is the current backlash against VAR partly due to referees always having “done it wrong” by not being militantly consistent, and that being normalised?

You play the advantage or get the foul not both correct?

No, you play the advantage, then if it doesn’t come off quite quickly it gets called back for the set piece.

To use tonight’s no call as an example, pre VAR, ball comes over, Argentinian defender attempts his clearance (let’s say he intentionally handles it in the process for this hypothetical) and it drops in front of the Nigerian forward who sticks it where the owl sleeps, goal, and a yellow card for the intentional handball

Rewind

back to it dropping at the Nigerian forward feet, he shoots, it’s wide, but it was handball, penalty to Nigeria and a yellow card for Mr Argentinian defender.

Last edited:
They talk about contentious decisions anyway,(VAR or not), and remind me what pundits you look forward to talking football post game.;) (Roy Keane obviously:D)
I do like Roy Keane actually. I don't always agree with him but he scares the brick out of the other pundits which gets him much kudos in my book :).
I like him and Jenas. That's it.

In this WC analysis I just turn it off as soon as I hear the word VAR. I'm a programmer. I have enough vars in my life.

Last edited:
The free shot is the advantage, its always how I have seen the rule applied

Yeah, and if you miss the free shot you still get the foul given.

I edited that post to add an example, I shoehorned in a lovely little thing I learned today about the Brazilian version of postage stamp.

That’s the third part of my question, is the current backlash against VAR partly due to referees always having “done it wrong” by not being militantly consistent, and that being normalised?
I would say the backlash is due to the increased amateur dramatics on show, the introduction of square dancing, and the time disruptions. The real or faux outrage at the decisions VAR makes is a talking point but not the key point IMO. In fairness it does not disrupt every game, but enough to have turned me off it until it gets far better.

Bascially my position is refs get it wrong and I can live with that, and moan about it in the pub afterwards (and I kinda like doing that). The extra VAR nonsense is not improving things, IMO.

Anyway that's me on this topic. I'm done.

I would say the backlash is due to the increased amateur dramatics on show, the introduction of square dancing, and the time disruptions. The real or faux outrage at the decisions VAR makes is a talking point but not the key point IMO. In fairness it does not disrupt every game, but enough to have turned me off it until it gets far better.

Bascially my position is refs get it wrong and I can live with that, and moan about it in the pub afterwards (and I kinda like doing that). The extra VAR nonsense is not improving things, IMO.

Anyway that's me on this topic. I'm done.

Is the diving and feigning really any worse than what we’ve seen in the PL over the last 10 years, or what we saw from Brazil in 2002, Argentina in 98, Germany in 90?

All that’s changed is that players draw boxes rather than waving imaginary cards.

Is the diving and feigning really any worse than what we’ve seen in the PL over the last 10 years, or what we saw from Brazil in 2002, Argentina in 98, Germany in 90?

All that’s changed is that players draw boxes rather than waving imaginary cards.
Yes there's always been more threatrics and other nonsense at WCs but if you really believe it hasn't gone up several notches this time round because of VAR you really are kidding yourself.

I’ve found that the WC is a great indicator on which of my neighbors probably did, I’m assuming the worst of any household displaying that fudging flag.

I'm on board with the campaign to get the English Heritage flag adopted as the new English one after Brexit, as we reinvigorate our national identity. Land of lemon curd and opportunity...

Yes there's always been more threatrics and other nonsense at WCs but if you really believe it hasn't gone up several notches this time round because of VAR you really are kidding yourself.
I think it's just easy to forget how much diving and cheating there is in international football - even more so than in European football IMO.

We don't see it a lot so it's always a surprise but there's a lot of underdogs doing all they can to get an advantage .

Those were the days, eh... jumpers for goalposts...

They probably need to get rid of the ref trotting to the sideline to view it on a screen. But i understand why they are doing that, it's to give the ref final say on decisions (or at least give the impression).

It may also give the ref assurance that he is not being made to look an ass or feel he is being undermined.

I think the idea that it should focus on only factual decisions first is valid (offside etc) BUT penalties are such a big factor and literally game changers that they need to be included and a ref being assisted to get those calls right is surely a good thing?

Ultimately if a VAR ref can pipe a decision straight into the refs ear that will save time, and the on pitch ref should have a signal the players and fans easily see to say a review is in place. Perhaps they could have 4(?) on pitch safe zones that the ref can retreat to with players forbidden to enter (bar maybe the captain) or the cards come out.

In practice it should eventually get on top of a lot of the play acting, diving and any sneaky off the ball stuff and deal with it right at the time it happens, once the players know everything is being 'seen'.

Of course it never always go well, and that is in the main for the same reason conventional refereeing doesn't, the ref himself is just not that good. The Port/Iran ref couldn't deal with the pressure when the ref last night Arg/Nig was calm as you like.

For the naysayers, what is the holy grail....100% correct decisions all delivered within 30secs? Genuine question.

Or do you just not like it, full stop.?

Back