• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Aren't you basing that off that one game last night? I don't remember it being particularly unusual in that respect otherwise.

I agree with @StephenH that players will push the limits they think they can get away with, it'll be the same teams as the imaginary yellow cards etc. Need the ref to stand up to that.

It's human nature though. The natural response to micro management and bureaucratic barriers is to rebel. If you want people to behave, you use the privilege and responsibility method.

I haven't heard a single person say the VAR would eliminate all bad decisions. I haven't seen a single person on here say it either.

Well as i said you must not get out much as i hear it at most games i attend. And their is a lot more life outside of here and i never said anyone on here said it.

I have to pull you up on that mate because it is rubbish, i go to games every week and meet fans from all sides and i have never met any who think that there is any solution to 100% decisions being made right, it will never happen.

:confused:

I'm confused. No one is putting words in your mouth. At the weekend you said that you'd spoken to loads of people who thought that VAR would result in all decisions being correct. I thought this was odd and asked you about it. You got a little narky and were insistent that this was the case. Today you say the opposite. Which is it?

Good decision there by the ref to overturn the pen using VAR.

But VAR gave the penalty in the first instance - the referee saw first time that there was nothing there, so there were two different overulings. It just created 3 minutes of chaos and injected a big dose of injustice all round.

But VAR gave the penalty in the first instance - the referee saw first time that there was nothing there, so there were two different overulings. It just created 3 minutes of chaos and injected a big dose of injustice all round.

No it didn’t, VAR can’t give penalties, it gave the ref information and the ability to have a look at a replay.

You are wasting your breath mate, some are so entrenched in their belief that VAR will help the game they are not really interested in what happened in that instance.

Oh the irony.

Indeed, seeing as you posted the following earlier.

Good decision there by the ref to overturn the pen using VAR.

The ref never overturned the pen at all because he never made the decision to give it. He was told by VAR he may want to look at it again and give a penalty, he decided his original decision that it was not was right. So my point in the earlier thread is relevant to your post, do you not think?

The referees need to book all players and managers for doing the VAR sign for starters. There must be a clampdown on this.
The rest is once again the players acting up. Made the poor sods life a misery last night.
Couple of reds cards will solve that.
Player need to be jumped on and quick.
I was just about to post this. I think the whole thing is brick but drawing a square in the air should be an instant red card. And if the onfield ref misses the square drawing then the var ref can call it. That would be ironic, Alanis.

It is still brick though.

Last edited:
Fundamentally, if we have 387 decisions during this World Cup

Without VAR the refs would get 300 right

With VAR the refs will get 357 right

And "some" people will moan about the 30 they get wrong. Like Alan the dinosaur SHEARER!!!!!

Bet he voted for Brexit!

Fundamentally, if we have 387 decisions during this World Cup

Without VAR the refs would get 300 right

With VAR the refs will get 357 right

And "some" people will moan about the 30 they get wrong. Like Alan the dinosaur SHEARER!!!!!
And 50 of the other 57 might be open to debate depending on which team you support and will just cause arguments anyway. They will moan about those too. Is it worth it for those 7?

I'm not against tech in football. I'm for it actually but I don't like VAR as it is currently implemented. There are too many post match discusions about var rather than football. I say bring it in for absolute black and white decisions first, and then ease a few more subjective ones down the road. Crawl first.

(you are going all Trumpian on Shearer there btw).

And 50 of the other 57 might be open to debate depending on which team you support and will just cause arguments anyway. They will moan about those too. Is it worth it for those 7?

I'm not against tech in football. I'm for it actually but I don't like VAR as it is currently implemented. There are too many post match discusions about var rather than football. I say bring it in for absolute black and white decisions first, and then ease a few more subjective ones down the road. Crawl first.

To me this is just common sense, but it feels like we’re in the minority on this?

Are there any arguments on subjectivity written in the laws of the game?

The laws are written as if they expect a binary outcome to my eye. They are very formulaic, mostly, “an offence has been committed if any one of these is true; list”

Is VAR suffering undue criticism due to a lack of consistency in their application over the years?

That Nigeria VAR penalty shout, does it mean that you now get two bites of the cherry, the advantage to shoot and if you miss a possible penalty, if its outside the box? Is this a rule change?

Are there any arguments on subjectivity written in the laws of the game?

The laws are written as if they expect a binary outcome to my eye.

Is VAR suffering undue criticism due to a lack of consistency in their application over the years?
There may be rules written in black and white but their interpretations is largely subjective. I don't think you can argue against that, and I don't think VAR has improved things that much as to outweigh the disruption it brings to a game. If it improves the game and gets super streamlined then cool, I'll get on board. This though I don't like.

Last edited:
Back