• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Bongo cams, time-outs, ad breaks, 22 man matchday squads with rotating subs, zero contact, bigger size goals, home games in Doha

That will all come if you let them. You have to draw a line in the sand and defend the essence of the sport you love

Right now we're talking about more correct decisions. If you are worried about the soul of football, it left sometime in the mid-90s.

Bongo cams, time-outs, ad breaks, 22 man matchday squads with rotating subs, zero contact, bigger size goals, home games in Doha

That will all come if you let them. You have to draw a line in the sand and defend the essence of the sport you love

Jumpers as goalpost?
Orange quarters at halftime?
I need TP for my bunghole!

You needed to watch the whole second half of the Portugal game to see what happened. After the first VAR decision sent the players into meltdown, the whole rest of the match was playacting and 22 men surrounding the referee drawing squares in the air.

You want folks to actually watch something before jumping feet first in, madness i say madness ;)

Right now we're talking about more correct decisions. If you are worried about the soul of football, it left sometime in the mid-90s.

I know the prawn sandwich phalanx turned up and all that. But I don't think there's ever been anything introduced in football that's been so detrimental to the spectacle of the pitch. Golden goals were pretty bad, but this is 100 times worse.

It's worth remembering that a remit for the introduction for goal line technology was it was fully formed and worked from day one
Tonight was VERY interesting. Martin Keown, the walking anachronism was co-commentating on the Spain game.

Spain scored a very exciting last minute equaliser to keep them in the World Cup, and the linesman wrongly called it offside.

Spain would have gone out, unjustly.

A massive moment.

VAR checked it and overruled it, saying Aspas was onside.

Perfect application, a massive, massive moment.

Martin Keown says something like "It's a shame that Spain have to go through with a VAR decision like that" meaning that VAR had ruined the game, he wanted Morocco to win but Spain cheated by invoking VAR.

Made me think of parklane1 and gutterboy immediately.

So I switched over to BBC1 where Drogba was trying to explain why he likes VAR and thinks it will improve thing whilst Dinosaur Shearer states flat out that VAR is my favourite buttplug and it led to loads of play acting and gamesmanship tonight... how does he join the dots like that? It makes no sense?

Ronaldo got blocked off, so he pushed past his opponent and got a yellow.

The penalty incident was up to the referee, he reviewed it and decided it was a pen... that isn't the fault of VAR, that is his judgement. I would not have given it.
Spain were second without the goal were they not? Level on points Goals scored

Tonight was VERY interesting. Martin Keown, the walking anachronism was co-commentating on the Spain game.

Spain scored a very exciting last minute equaliser to keep them in the World Cup, and the linesman wrongly called it offside.

A massive moment.

Martin Keown says something like "It's a shame that Spain have to go through with a VAR decision like that" meaning that VAR had ruined the game, he wanted Morocco to win but Spain cheated by invoking VAR.

So I switched over to BBC1 where Drogba was trying to explain why he likes VAR and thinks it will improve thing whilst Dinosaur Shearer states flat out that VAR is my favourite buttplug and it led to loads of play acting and gamesmanship tonight... how does he join the dots like that? It makes no sense?

The penalty incident was up to the referee, he reviewed it and decided it was a pen... that isn't the fault of VAR, that is his judgement. I would not have given it.
The ref reviewing it is part of VAR

It's worth remembering that a remit for the introduction for goal line technology was it was fully formed and worked from day one

Yea Spain were qualified anyway, just whether they were first or second.

A massive moment.

Keown is a total macaron and should be sacked off the back of that if he commentated the way you say there (I watched Iran so had the pleasure of Lawro!).

Was it?

If so, we’ll have to see how it works on day 1 I guess, when it’s used for the European Cup. There is a reason it’s being tried out in tournaments like the FA and World cups.

The ref had a bad second half and decisions took too long but only the handball decision was wrong.
Only? ONLY? I thought the whole point of VAR was that it was meant to eliminate once and for all the fudge-ups by referees. Instead we STILL have farcical decisions but now it seems we've also added even more delays, even more clowning, even more mayhem and an even greater sense of injustice than we ever had before.

Well done FIFA.

Only? ONLY? I thought the whole point of VAR was that it was meant to eliminate once and for all the fudge-ups by referees. Instead we STILL have farcical decisions but now it seems we've also added even more delays, even more clowning, even more mayhem and an even greater sense of injustice than we ever had before.

Well done FIFA.

It’s given the ref the chance for a second look, in slow mo, from multiple angles, if he still fudges it up how is that vars fault?

If I put my clothes in the dishwasher it’s not Hotpoints fault. Giving a person a tool doesn’t mean they’ll use it wisely.

No sport allows endless reviews nor are the reviews on subjective matters that are open to interpretation .This is where football is going wrong.Handball decisions and fouls should not be subject to review but refereed as they have done previously.As the stakes get higher it will only get worse in the world cup.Not a big fan of var at all firm believer that decisions cancel themselves out over a season.Even in cricket i am not overly happy when a batsman gets the faintest of nicks that can't be seen by the naked eye and is given out.The spirit of sport should be allowed to flourish.

No sport allows endless reviews* nor are the reviews on subjective matters that are open to interpretation .This is where football is going wrong.Handball decisions and fouls should not be subject to review but refereed as they have done previously.As the stakes get higher it will only get worse in the world cup.Not a big fan of var at all firm believer that decisions cancel themselves out over a season*.Even in cricket i am not overly happy when a batsman gets the faintest of nicks that can't be seen by the naked eye and is given out.The spirit of sport should be allowed to flourish.

*VAR does not allow for endless reviews, each incident can only be reviewed once.

**This has been studied, they don't.

It's human nature to improve things, to strive for perfection, its not failure to not succeed, it's failure to not try.

It’s given the ref the chance for a second look, in slow mo, from multiple angles, if he still fudges it up how is that vars fault?

If I put my clothes in the dishwasher it’s not Hotpoints fault. Giving a person a tool doesn’t mean they’ll use it wisely.
Video assisted referee ref is part of it. An argument for VAR was refs missing obvious mistakes I can make the same argument to defend the non VAR system.

The system of no video replays would have worked if the ref did not make a mistake. You cannot take the ref out of VAR and just say that the technology works, it is one system ref and all.

The system of no video replays would have worked if the ref did not make a mistake. You cannot take the ref out of VAR and just say that the technology works, it is one system ref and all.

The problem is the ref making a mistake, that’s what VAR is trying to reduce. Referees making mistakes is the problem.

I think it’s a logical conclusion that the on field ref will be removed eventually.

Back