• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

His instincts/initial decisions were generally right. If he'd trusted them, there might have been some football played

The ref was not the best but until the VAR nonsense started he was doing fairly well in the game, after VAR got brought into it he lost control and the game ended in farce.

I worry about you sometimes

Tell me you got any enjoyment from that? It should have been a fascinating game, but was ruined by completely unnecessary meddling

Honestly this has the potential to permanently drive me away from top flight football, away to a level where its still a sport

Tell me you got any enjoyment from that? It should have been a fascinating game, but was ruined by completely unnecessary meddling

I did, it was an exciting game. I wouldn't want all games to be like that but they won't be.

Honestly this has the potential to permanently drive me away from top flight football, away to a level where its still a sport

Its bad enough watching it on the box but at least we have some idea what the hell is going on ( stupid or not) but can you imagine being in the ground and not having a clue what is going on. As for driving folks away from the game well i will say what i did after the cup game last season, i and the guys who i was with nearly walked out at H/T after the shambles of the first half, we did not because we love Spurs and decided to stay but if it turns out that we get to see more of mess next season that may be it for me.

Give up watching completely?

Hard question because for over 50 years i have been going to games, but if i get to watch the farce that happened last season and what is happening now then it may be time is up. We all know football has changed over the last decade or so and some things have been good and some bad ( imo), but this VAR will never work and it may be the last straw.

Its not something i will do easily has it has been the major part of my life ( playing, working in and watching) but its getting to the point where the fun is going out of it for me.

For me:
1) open mic communication between the refs, lets hear why decisions are made
2) video ref is a qualified ref, he is part of the team, let him make decisions - its faster
3) video ref can call things out in real time, or indeed the on field ref can ask for verification on things. As I said, its a team game.

4) Stop the clock whilst the review is taking place

Do you know what, there's actually an awful lot of similarities.

The EU/FIFA, both corrupt, aloof Vogon-esque bureaucracies, driven by expansionism and the need for social control, destroying all joy, whimsy and humanity in their path

That the spirit!

Tonight was VERY interesting. Martin Keown, the walking anachronism was co-commentating on the Spain game.

Spain scored a very exciting last minute equaliser to keep them in the World Cup, and the linesman wrongly called it offside.

Spain would have gone out, unjustly.

A massive moment.

VAR checked it and overruled it, saying Aspas was onside.

Perfect application, a massive, massive moment.

Martin Keown says something like "It's a shame that Spain have to go through with a VAR decision like that" meaning that VAR had ruined the game, he wanted Morocco to win but Spain cheated by invoking VAR.

Made me think of parklane1 and gutterboy immediately.

So I switched over to BBC1 where Drogba was trying to explain why he likes VAR and thinks it will improve thing whilst Dinosaur Shearer states flat out that VAR is my favourite buttplug and it led to loads of play acting and gamesmanship tonight... how does he join the dots like that? It makes no sense?

Ronaldo got blocked off, so he pushed past his opponent and got a yellow.

The penalty incident was up to the referee, he reviewed it and decided it was a pen... that isn't the fault of VAR, that is his judgement. I would not have given it.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when GB went full Lawro

Bongo cams, time-outs, ad breaks, 22 man matchday squads with rotating subs, zero contact, bigger size goals, home games in Doha

That will all come if you let them. You have to draw a line in the sand and defend the essence of the sport you love

Tonight was VERY interesting. Martin Keown, the walking anachronism was co-commentating on the Spain game.

Spain scored a very exciting last minute equaliser to keep them in the World Cup, and the linesman wrongly called it offside.

Spain would have gone out, unjustly.

A massive moment.

VAR checked it and overruled it, saying Aspas was onside.

Perfect application, a massive, massive moment.

Martin Keown says something like "It's a shame that Spain have to go through with a VAR decision like that" meaning that VAR had ruined the game, he wanted Morocco to win but Spain cheated by invoking VAR.

Made me think of parklane1 and gutterboy immediately.

So I switched over to BBC1 where Drogba was trying to explain why he likes VAR and thinks it will improve thing whilst Dinosaur Shearer states flat out that VAR is my favourite buttplug and it led to loads of play acting and gamesmanship tonight... how does he join the dots like that? It makes no sense?

Ronaldo got blocked off, so he pushed past his opponent and got a yellow.

The penalty incident was up to the referee, he reviewed it and decided it was a pen... that isn't the fault of VAR, that is his judgement. I would not have given it.

You needed to watch the whole second half of the Portugal game to see what happened. After the first VAR decision sent the players into meltdown, the whole rest of the match was playacting and 22 men surrounding the referee drawing squares in the air.

Back