• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Thread

I try to manage my grandson expectations about the rest of the season as he assumes with everyone fit we'll storm up the table, life ain't like that.

To be fair there's good reason to be positive but yeah you're right to manage expectations.

It's probably not going to be as simple as:
Getting players back = Winning every game and storming the league.

It's like when people make predictions on what will happen when we get our first eleven back. By the time certain players are back there's a fair chance we'll have picked up injuries elsewhere, it's just the way it works and Ange as ever will work with what he has got.

Apparently someone needs to take me off my soapbox today! I'm genuinely positive about where the club is, just not the reworking of history when it comes to painful games in the past, some love that alternate reality nostalgia but it's not for me.

To be fair there's good reason to be positive but yeah you're right to manage expectations.

It's probably not going to be as simple as:
Getting players back = Winning every game and storming the league.

It's like when people make predictions on what will happen when we get our first eleven back. By the time certain players are back there's a fair chance we'll have picked up injuries elsewhere, it's just the way it works and Ange as ever will work with what he has got.

Apparently someone needs to take me off my soapbox today! I'm genuinely positive about where the club is, just not the reworking of history when it comes to painful games in the past, some love that alternate reality nostalgia but it's not for me.

History is to be learnt from not lived in.

Last edited:
Sorry! It is probably mean of me to deprive us of yet another hypothetical trophy in our already overflowing hypothetical trophy cabinet

I just see things like "If only Moura had started we'd have won it", you can't just propose some alternative reality and then simply assume things would've gone your way. It was against a team that was in it's 2nd CL final in 2 seasons that won a league and they didn't have to get out of 2nd gear. It's not always the case that the better team wins, take Tuchel's Chelsea versus City but then the weaker team needs things to go in their favour in a way that it simply doesn't for Spurs of late.

With Dembele, I'm not sure what his record is like in finals but it's a bold assumption to think he'd be a game changer in a CL final. If the poster said "We would have been more likely to win with a prime and fit Dembele" I'd be inclined to agree but it's not a given as it's an unprovable daydream.

It's ironic given that I'm still talking about it but the game needs to be consigned to history, to the neutral it was an absolute eyesore of a final and it was devastating as a Spurs fan because it was like getting to a heavy weight championship fight and not throwing any punches. The safe space provided by imagining things could have gone a different way doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling like others I guess! fudge that game.

Anyways, did you hear we were possibly signing player X from club Y!?!? Can't say any more details as it may jeopardize the move but keep your eyes peeled, big things coming or possibly not coming, depending on what happens.

I've all but wiped that game from my mind, after the penalty I cannot remember a thing, and I wasn't drunk.
Although we can't argue Liverpool weren't the better team that season my recollection is that on the night there was only one team trying to play football, and it wasn't Liverpool.
We were never going to beat Liverpool, I'd argue that with any English team really, we were still in awe of Liverpool, Chelsea, utd, arsenal and even city when it came to the crunch games.
If Barcelona had done what they should have done in the SF we would be European champions.
But you roll the dice, take what comes and move on. Hate to say it but I don't remember arsenal or utd taking this long to get over their CL final defeats.

We probably should have sold one or two of the players from that side at their peak to finance refreshment of the squad. It got very stale and that is what eventually led to Poch's downfall.

You could almost see the mould grow on some of the players as time went on.

We were never going to beat Liverpool
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't even excited. I was actually surprised by the optimism of people who flew out there, hoping to win.
In fact I was in Spain on the day and flew home; flight was delayed, so the match started whilst I was driving home. Needless to say, the Sissoko armball happened a few minutes in and that was that. The dampest of all the squibs.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't even excited. I was actually surprised by the optimism of people who flew out there, hoping to win.
In fact I was in Spain on the day and flew home; flight was delayed, so the match started whilst I was driving home. Needless to say, the Sissoko armball happened a few minutes in and that was that. The dampest of all the squibs.
Liverpool were the worst team in the world we could have played, our history against them dragged us down and buoyed them up.

I've all but wiped that game from my mind, after the penalty I cannot remember a thing, and I wasn't drunk.
Although we can't argue Liverpool weren't the better team that season my recollection is that on the night there was only one team trying to play football, and it wasn't Liverpool.
We were never going to beat Liverpool, I'd argue that with any English team really, we were still in awe of Liverpool, Chelsea, utd, arsenal and even city when it came to the crunch games.
If Barcelona had done what they should have done in the SF we would be European champions.
But you roll the dice, take what comes and move on. Hate to say it but I don't remember arsenal or utd taking this long to get over their CL final defeats.
We were just as brick as Liverpool. We created zilch. That was honestly the worst CL Final I've seen in my 28 years of watching them and not even because we lost just the quality of the football on display was bloody atrocious.

We were just as brick as Liverpool. We created zilch. That was honestly the worst CL Final I've seen in my 28 years of watching them and not even because we lost just the quality of the football on display was bloody atrocious.

It was dead after the pen. Liverpool were happy to shut up shop. Son had a couple of goes, but it was dead.

You could almost see the mould grow on some of the players as time went on.
I'm a big proponent of the idea that you need to constantly refresh a squad to keep the ideas and commitment fresh. You won't always be able to just sell squad players, sometimes it will be players who you otherwise think of as indispensable. Throughout the history of football it's always been done and done by the successful clubs because they realise you can't rest on your laurels and in football standing still is actually moving backwards.

It was dead after the pen. Liverpool were happy to shut up shop. Son had a couple of goes, but it was dead.
They knew we had nothing for them. Zombie Kane playing with Zombie Eriksen was a recipe for failure. I was a big fan of Poch and commanded the work he did but he CL Final lineup was terrible. He let himself get sucked into the orbit of the star player. Kane should have never started (not that I think that would have made a difference, bit he was barely half fit for the match).

Poch was never going to beat Liverpool, and that's why so many Spurs fans can't get over the final, Poch is seen as some great manager, it was a great side and yet it fell short.

It was always going to be a tough game but the combination of Poch going into his crazy land (the whole if we won, he had nothing left to achieve at Spurs), the lack of preparation (Liverpool arranged a prep game in Spain), the Lucas/Kane choice, the midfield we ended up with, all made it damn near impossible ..

There was a ton for both managers on the game (Klopp had loss quite a few finals prior), but only one actually learned/prepared for it.

Poch was never going to beat Liverpool, and that's why so many Spurs fans can't get over the final, Poch is seen as some great manager, it was a great side and yet it fell short.

It was always going to be a tough game but the combination of Poch going into his crazy land (the whole if we won, he had nothing left to achieve at Spurs), the lack of preparation (Liverpool arranged a prep game in Spain), the Lucas/Kane choice, the midfield we ended up with, all made it damn near impossible ..

There was a ton for both managers on the game (Klopp had loss quite a few finals prior), but only one actually learned/prepared for it.
I'd forgotten about Poch's pre match comments and I was really tinkled off with them at the time, really did set a negative tone which not only contributed to that loss but kind of hung over us and him into the next season.

Also in the sands of time Tottenham fans have conveniently forgotten that Liverpool

A: won the league that season.
B: Liverpool had won 13 out of their last 14 fixtures and had only 2 losses in their last 24 matches!

We on the other hand were in terrible form going into the Final. 5 wins in 14 games and 7 losses.

Also in the sands of time Tottenham fans have conveniently forgotten that Liverpool

A: won the league that season.
B: Liverpool had won 13 out of their last 14 fixtures and had only 2 losses in their last 24 matches!

We on the other hand were in terrible form going into the Final. 5 wins in 14 games and 7 losses.
Liverpool won the league that season?

Poch was a great manager for us, don't see how anyone can deny that.
But honestly our record against the big teams when it matters is atrocious and against Liverpool in particular, a fact that was constantly thrown in our face right up to the game.
Klopp had been to a CL final the year before, got beat and strengthen, we barely bought a player in two years and were running on fumes.
Klopp knew what was needed, he had that experience.
Poch didn't help himself with the comments and the kane/moura choice was a double edged sword, get beat and either choice was wrong.
Ultimately for me draw any of the English teams in that final and we lose it, our inferiority complex as a club was that strong.

It came a couple of years too late for us. Bad luck, but then it seems it always is where we're concerned.
Over a two-season period, we were the best team in the PL, just got denied the trophy by two other teams having freak seasons.

The next season, we scrape our way to the Champions League final at the end of a relatively mediocre season, but are too physically and psychologically knackered to make a challenge of it.

I can but hope that Ange can manage the two things that Poch could not -- win something (anything!) and build a foundation for sustained success. To build a team that's great for a couple of seasons is merely brilliance, but to make one that lasts is greatness.

Back