• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

I like that from the outside it looks like Conte has already made it clear who he has no interest in wanting here, which should hopefully make the outgoings easier as they are being completely starved of any football.

Are we in any danger with the homegrown rule going into this Summer or are we still fine?
I would imagine many of the targets we have are Serie A based players, although we have been linked with Spence from the Championship too. If we bring in midfield reinforcements Winks could be one to leave. Doherty or Davies too maybe. Would we be in a position where we need to buy British or are we still above the min limits?

Are we in any danger with the homegrown rule going into this Summer or are we still fine?
I would imagine many of the targets we have are Serie A based players, although we have been linked with Spence from the Championship too. If we bring in midfield reinforcements Winks could be one to leave. Doherty or Davies too maybe. Would we be in a position where we need to buy British or are we still above the min limits?

The rule is actually about the maximum number of non-homegrown players (17), rather than a minimum number of homegrown players. So if we’re comfortable with a smaller first team squad - say 22 - we could get away with just 5 homegrown players. I think we currently have 8:

Doherty
Tanganga
Rodon
Davies
Sessegnon
Winks
Skipp
Kane

(The rules are slightly different for Europe - I think some of the above don’t count as homegrown)

The rule is actually about the maximum number of non-homegrown players (17), rather than a minimum number of homegrown players. So if we’re comfortable with a smaller first team squad - say 22 - we could get away with just 5 homegrown players. I think we currently have 8:

Doherty
Tanganga
Rodon
Davies
Sessegnon
Winks
Skipp
Kane

(The rules are slightly different for Europe - I think some of the above don’t count as homegrown)

Cool, I'd say only Kane, Skipp and possibly Sessegnon (If Conte still has faith in him) are likely to stay. The others are all possibly up for sale/loan

Conte is running off a 21 man squad at the moment, so in theory that's only 4 HGs we absolutely need, rather than 8.

I would like us to buy back-up GK, RWB and CFs that qualify as homegrown (e.g. Johnstone, Bogle and Brereton) however

Conte is running off a 21 man squad at the moment, so in theory that's only 4 HGs we absolutely need, rather than 8.

I would like us to buy back-up GK, RWB and CFs that qualify as homegrown (e.g. Johnstone, Bogle and Brereton) however

Johnstone is linked with a free to United in the summer. But you are right, Seems more sensible to have a Johnstone, Butland type no.2 rather than a Gollini in the squad.

Johnstone or Henderson, though not sure whether Henderson would join us given Lloris just re-signed a deal. Would he accept likely being our no2 for a year or two?

CONFIRMED

Paulo Dybala leaves Juve at end of the season on a free transfer.

Are we signing him?

Will be linked with him, lead the race and then have someone swoop in because we couldnt get it across the line for 8 weeks ... we are that guy who sees a fit girl sitting at the bar alone, musters up the courage and starts a chat, buys a few drinks for her only to go to the toilet to have words with himself in the mirror, composing himeself not to say anything silly ... then walk back to the bar, only to find that the girl is now sitting with another bloke drinking that bevy that you brought her ... she waves and says thanks for the drink ...

Obviously getting Dybala 3 years ago would have been amazing. But now we are at a stage where our frontline are all 28-29 (Kulusevski aside), so buying another 28 YO might not be the smartest idea.

If it was a toss up between Dybala and Olise say, we might be best taking the longer-term view this time.

Obviously getting Dybala 3 years ago would have been amazing. But now we are at a stage where our frontline are all 28-29 (Kulusevski aside), so buying another 28 YO might not be the smartest idea.

If it was a toss up between Dybala and Olise say, we might be best taking the longer-term view this time.
For me, there’s a role for him in the squad if he were to take Moura’s overseas slot. We could then still focus on bringing in Son’s heir in Olise - I haven’t seen enough of him to know if it’s a like-for-like positionally, but I know how highly rated he is - if we move on Bergwijn.

That would leave us with a very flexible front 3 from 5 of Kane, Son, Dybala, Deki and Olise, with Scarlett as a back up.

Last edited:
When Michael Olise was at Reading I said we should sign him, he was available for about £8.5m then. Now he will not be cheap. Zero chance of him signing for a non Champions League club that is for sure
I can see a French side going for him
Now he has declared himself for France he would be great at PSG

Back