• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

I know what i think is the more reasonable position of the two.

Anyone who's not happy with the window so far needs a reality check - 4 first XI positions strengthened and you're moaning about not buying a backup CF (yet) pull the other one
This is the third window in a row that we've needed one. We saw what happened last season when Kane got injured. Do we need that to happen again before we realise how ridiculous it is to only have one number in the squad, trying to play in four competitions?

This is the third window in a row that we've needed one. We saw what happened last season when Kane got injured. Do we need that to happen again before we realise how ridiculous it is to only have one number in the squad, trying to play in four competitions?

Nothing here trumps what I've said previously - starting XI improvements > back up players

Nothing here trumps what I've said previously - starting XI improvements > back up players
So we have to sacrifice competitions then? As we can't expect Kane to play every game.....

Looks like we'll sacrifice the first one tonight. At what point do we sacrifice the Europa League as well? And when do we sacrifice the FA Cup?

So we have to sacrifice competitions then? As we can't expect Kane to play every game.....

Looks like we'll sacrifice the first one tonight. At what point do we sacrifice the Europa League as well? And when do we sacrifice the FA Cup?

I don't think we need to sacrifice games because we haven't got a natural CF in reserve

You've been watching us tonight and you also watched us last season when Kane was out right?

Yeah.

You've watched us with Kane in the first team the last 2-3 seasons right? without Walker and peak Rose level full backs, without a Dembele or Wanyama level disruptor in the middle of the pitch and with an attack that's making do with Moura/Lamela and an off form Alli?

I'd say addressing all those areas is more likely to see us achieve our goals than the handful of games a season we need to rely on a back up CF, but hey that's just me.

Last edited:
Yeah.

You've watched us with Kane in the first team the last 2-3 seasons right? without Walker and peak Rose level full backs, without a Dembele or Wanyama level disruptor in the middle of the pitch and with an attack that's making do with Moura/Lamela and an off form Alli?

I'd say addressing all those areas is more likely to see us achieve our goals than the handful of games a season we need to rely on a back up CF, but hey that's just me.
A back up CF doesn’t have to cost the earth though. Diallo from Metz is available for a £6m loan fee for example (which will come off his transfer fee if the club then took him permanently).

A back up CF doesn’t have to cost the earth though. Diallo from Metz is available for a £6m loan fee for example (which will come off his transfer fee if the club then took him permanently).

Valid point and agreed.

If he is Mourinhos primary target for the position or someone of a similar cost I'd be confused as to why they weren't here already.

I don't think we need to sacrifice games because we haven't got a natural CF in reserve

You are missing the point. Mourinho has consistently said he doesn't just want a back up striker. He wants a striker to give us more options in the way we play. This could just as well be with Kane ( who could easily move to a Sherringham type role) as well as lead the line in his place.

You are missing the point. Mourinho has consistently said he doesn't just want a back up striker. He wants a striker to give us more options in the way we play. This could just as well be with Kane ( who could easily move to a Sherringham type role) as well as lead the line in his place.

I'm not missing any point, whichever way you dress it up the CF position that we are looking to strengthen will be to provide cover/competition for Kane, whereas the other positions strengthened have been literally to improve the first XI (backup GK aside). There's no arguing with that.

I'm not missing any point, whichever way you dress it up the CF position that we are looking to strengthen will be to provide cover/competition for Kane, whereas the other positions strengthened have been literally to improve the first XI (backup GK aside). There's no arguing with that.

I don't agree. We need options in attack we certainly don't have even with Kane there. You are ignoring what Mourinho himself has said. We simply don't have an aerially dominant bully boy of a centre forward. It is a type of player Mourinho has always used to great effect ( Drogba, Costa, Ibrahimovic, etc) That beast is our missing piece. Imagine the permutations available with Beast, Bale Kane and Son.

Nope im not ignoring anything and I'd suspect that had Mourinho not signed any of RB LB or DM either he'd be making similar noises regarding those positions too. It's his MO to complain about the tools available to him, he's used to having exactly what he wants.

I dont disagree we need a player in this position, with the attributes you describe i just took exception to the level of complaint that we haven't signed one yet, which is what i was originally responding to.

Nope im not ignoring anything and I'd suspect that had Mourinho not signed any of RB LB or DM either he'd be making similar noises regarding those positions too. It's his MO to complain about the tools available to him, he's used to having exactly what he wants.

I dont disagree we need a player in this position, with the attributes you describe i just took exception to the level of complaint that we haven't signed one yet, which is what i was originally responding to.

Mourinho made it abundantly clear virtually right from the off that we needed one. In January, when our need was pressing and urgent, we only signed Bergwyn. Is he an upgrade on Son, Lucas, Lamela, Sessegnon, Sissoko, or Dele, who can all play in that wide position? Answer - no. We have less than a week to go before most of the available and gettable targets will be no longer be available to us. Levy should ask Mourinho who he wants and then go balls out for him. We could sell any and all the listed players ( except Son) to fund this most urgent acquisition for a type of player you agree we don't have in the squad. Not to do so would be completely negligent in my view.

Back