• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Then he hasnt learned from this season when it was apparent that we lacked depth

Or he's seen that sometimes the best way to upgrade on an Adebayor is with a Kane, rather than a Soldado.

With his 22 man squad preference, we won't be bulking up on random squad fillers either. I'm confident it will be strictly 1 in 1 out (i.e. Sissoko and possibly Wimmer directly replaced)

I'm sure that we will see more academy players break into the team if they are good enough. Sprinkle some world class players into the team and i think that's what we all want?

Then he hasnt learned from this season when it was apparent that we lacked depth

Did we really lack depth and where exactly was that the case?

We had the best defence in the league and scored the most

There was a period where we were missing the two genuine World class players in the side when Kane and Toby were out... any team would suffer losing their two best players.

And compared to the only team that finished above us we had about 300% more injuries and played 8 games more I believe. Yet again the team that won the league played the least games with the least changes due to injuries

I'd argue our depth is as good as everyone else's, if not better.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go so far as to say utterly unwarranted.

Well, given that you're apparently basing your assumed superiority on being less mad about us being lifeless in the market than some other lads and lasses are....yes, I'm going to stick with 'utterly unwarranted', mate.

Mind, I do it a lot, too, so it isn't as if I'm excluding myself from the general population of 'people on the internet getting unustifiably smug about things'. :p

There was a period where we were missing the two genuine World class players in the side when Kane and Toby were out... any team would suffer losing their two best players.

And compared to the only team that finished above us we had about 300% more injuries and played 8 games more I believe. Yet again the team that won the league played the least games with the least changes due to injuries

There were many games last season when you looked at the bench and it had dross like Sissoko or people who have never impacted a game for us like Onomah and GKN. Our results also seem to dip in Oct/Nov time as we don't have the ability to rotate around the time of EL/CL group games without losing a lot of quality

We'll see what happens, but the team that won the league isn't resting on their haunches - they're probably going to sign Bakayoko, and possibly Alex Sandro as well. Even if you take the increased number of games they'll have to play as a dampening factor on their chances next season, they're moving to address that by beefing up their squad.

Ergo, I don't think an argument for standing still can be made on that basis. Especially since we're not standing still - we might even be going backwards a bit, since we're losing the White Hart Lane factor that made us so dominant last season and instead moving to a neutral ground where we have so far lost almost every game we have played.

There were many games last season when you looked at the bench and it had dross like Sissoko or people who have never impacted a game for us like Onomah and GKN. Our results also seem to dip in Oct/Nov time as we don't have the ability to rotate around the time of EL/CL group games without losing a lot of quality

As is said our results dipped actually when we lost Toby and Kane was already out. When Kane was out I believe we didn't lose a game

If Chelsea last season had lost sideshow bob they would have been fudged as they had no leadership at the back and their 3 would have crumbled imo. You saw the effect when they lost Alonso for one game

And our bench when players are fit could have had a combination of Davies, trippier, wimmer, winks (who was great when he played), dier/wanyama, lamella, son, sissoko and Jansenn before you get to the kids.... their all very good players in their own right abs even sissoko did contribute in some games

Chelsea pretty much made the same subs every game bringing on Willian, Fabregas then a centre back which was easy as they played one game a week. It's no coincidence that the teams playing the most games had their squads stretched and those that didn't but still had real quality win the league

We'll see what happens, but the team that won the league isn't resting on their haunches - they're probably going to sign Bakayoko, and possibly Alex Sandro as well. Even if you take the increased number of games they'll have to play as a dampening factor on their chances next season, they're moving to address that by beefing up their squad.

Ergo, I don't think an argument for standing still can be made on that basis. Especially since we're not standing still - we might even be going backwards a bit, since we're losing the White Hart Lane factor that made us so dominant last season and instead moving to a neutral ground where we have so far lost almost every game we have played.

But are we standing still if the players we actually have get even better due to experience stability and youth?

And does anyone think we won't sign a player?

And see my post above. Chelsea had to address their squad as it's incredibly weak in reality. One attacking midfield on the bench of recognised quality, one central midfielder, one very unoroven striker at this level and loads of centre backs or kids.

But are we standing still if the players we actually have get even better due to experience stability and youth?

And see my post above. Chelsea had to address their squad as it's incredibly weak in reality. One attacking midfield on the bench of recognised quality, one central midfielder, one very unoroven striker at this level and loads of centre backs or kids.

I would like another striker but as Son can play there and I think did very well last season, also Poch might have high hopes for Sterling. That aside I would not be to bothered if we did not sign anyone. Would be kind of ballsy and different to be the only club not to sign someone, I like to do things in a progressive and different way where we and I hate to use the phrase but think outside the box.

Would love it if we did not sign anyone and had another great league campaign. It would be like laughing in the smug faces of all those cnuts in their t.v. studios and all the newspaper reporters. Fcuk it, Tottenham I hope to GHod we do not sign anyone lets be different lets be better LETS BE TOTTENHAM.

That 'experience, stability and youth' thing is a bit of a false alley, imo. *Every* team will claim the same thing. Every one.

Mourinho has settled in at United, his players will have bought into his methods, Pogba, Martial, Rashford and Bailly are all young and will improve.
Conte has settled in at Chelsea, his players will have bought into his methods, Zouma, Batshuayi and Alonso will all improve, and they have a bajillion young players they can recall to aid them since they will all have gotten better as well.
Pep has settled in at Chelsea, his players will have bought into his methods, Stones, Jesus, Sterling and Sane will are all young and will improve.
Klopp has settled in at Liverpool, his players will have bought into his methods, Coutinho, Firminho and Mane will all improve.
Wenger has been settled in at Arsenal for a long time, but Bellerin, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Iwobi and Holding are all young and will improve by dint of experience and a winning mentality brought by their FA Cup victory.
Koeman has settled in at Everton...

...you get my point. It's not that such an effect doesn't exist, only that it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and that others have the same reasons to expect the same improvement as we do. So, really, it is standing still relative to everyone else - worse if, as I said, we swap WHL for Wembley, which will definitely bring wobbliness we didn't experience at the Lane last season.

I certainly don't think we won't sign *anyone* - it's becoming increasingly clear that we're going to be pretty much forced to be the last in line waiting until August and everyone has had their fill of the available talent. Then we can pick from what's left - and, possibly, we might have to wait even longer before moving as even clubs our size (Roma, Dortmund, Sevilla and co.) pay wages we won't and get players we can't. That seems like the pattern we're going to be forced into, and there are positives and negatives to such a reality - but it certainly doesn't mean we won't sign *anyone at all*, per se. But I don't think we can get away without signing anyone and expect a significant improvement on last season, or even an on-par season. So while we may have to wait, and that's acceptable, I think ending the window *without* any movement would be a bad move on our part.

As for Chelsea's weak squad, I disagree, because they have the aforementioned bajillion players out on loan that they still pay wages to and can recall if necessary, many of whom are at or above the level of our comparable squad players (Andreas Christensen, for example, is probably better than Wimmer, Mario Pasalic was on loan at AC Milan and became an integral component of their midfield last season, and Marco Van Ginkel has accumulated more multinational experience than the majority of our squad while being a consistent loan ranger). Yet, they're going for the more expensive option of beefing up with first-team players good and early, which indicates more than just filling squad gaps, imo - it indicates a desire to improve and not stand still on their part.

Mr Levy has been on holiday and us due back any day now. No negotiations would have taken place while he was away.

Well, given that you're apparently basing your assumed superiority on being less mad about us being lifeless in the market than some other lads and lasses are....yes, I'm going to stick with 'utterly unwarranted', mate.

Mind, I do it a lot, too, so it isn't as if I'm excluding myself from the general population of 'people on the internet getting unustifiably smug about things'. :p

Ah/ No
You're wrong there.
That is not what I am basing it on.
Sounds like, mercifully, you're not to aware of Harry Hotspur's site. Stay that way.

Good points. Let's see, our first eleven are:

Lloris
Dier
Toby
Verts
Rose
Walker
Wanyama
Dembele
Alli
Eriksen
Kane

Subs:
Son
Winks
Lamela
Trippier
Davies
Vorm
Janssen
Wimmer
Sissoko
GKN
and the youngsters Onomah, CCV

That's 23 players, of which the first 6 subs are quality, Wimmer had a bad year but has shown he can cut it, Janssen should be much improved, and the rest are a toss-up.

So I'm not so sure we're that thin. One very good player to add to this group would help, but if you assume players will improve, the ones we considered so-so last year, might step up a la Son and Winks, giving us even more quality on the bench.

Just saying...

Getting quite annoyed with these Emirates Marketing Project stories. Emirates Marketing Project 'confident' of signing Sanchez. Emirates Marketing Project 'confident' of signing Walker. Who talks like that? Who puts these stories out there about other club's players? Who are they trying to fool? Weird.

It's just the press trying to get hits. City are supposedly relatively quite well behaved in that area compared to United/Chelsea/Madrid/Barca

Ah/ No
You're wrong there.
That is not what I am basing it on.
Sounds like, mercifully, you're not to aware of Harry Hotspur's site. Stay that way.

Not exactly, no - I am aware it exists, but I've never had the inclination to actually visit it. If you're basing it on something I'm not aware of, then carry on, I suppose. :p

Back