• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

**** ITK Alert ****

I have it on good authority that we're not going to announce any signings until our new kit is released.

Expect a flourish of activity in the days/weeks following the Nike announcement.

Pinch of salt, cross my heart etc, etc.

When are we going to reveal the new shirt anyway? Waiting for a Nike Stadium announcement?

• West Ham are ready to pay £50m to land Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud from Arsenal. (Daily Star)
50 mill for that deadly combo! Deals of the season! :D

Well technically with a squad of young players with high potential we wouldnt really be standing still as the players should continue to improve meaning we are moving forwards - seeing some of the figures being banded around for players this window really makes me glad that we have the bulk of our squad nailed down and a pretty much set first XI, wouldn't fancy being in a position where we need to find several first team improvements right now

Well technically with a squad of young players with high potential we wouldnt really be standing still as the players should continue to improve meaning we are moving forwards - seeing some of the figures being banded around for players this window really makes me glad that we have the bulk of our squad nailed down and a pretty much set first XI, wouldn't fancy being in a position where we need to find several first team improvements right now

europe-reverse-car-gif-1219016.gif

But it is true. You have to continue to make improvements each summer. Take last summer where we signed Sissoko, Janssen, Wanyama and Nkoudou. yes 3 failed but Wanyama was a big success and an integral cog in our successful league campaign.

Liverpool bought a number of players but it was the single signing of Mane that made a huge difference and took them into the top 4.

Kante and Alonso at Chelski played a huge part in winning them the league.

We are in a position where we don't have to make major changes. However as I said just 1 or 2 additions who can make an impact will keep us up there challenging and not falling back.

Young players getting better. Team becoming more cohesive through training. It's called organic growth, and it's much more effective for 'going forwards' than parachuting in a mercinary

Young players getting better. Team becoming more cohesive through training. It's called organic growth, and it's much more effective for 'going forwards' than parachuting in a mercinary

I agree

We could easily go out and buy players who are inferior to what we have and gain nothing whilst potentially limiting the development of our better prospects

I think that's the worst cliche in football. And not true at all.

The EPL has been declining in standard for much of the last decade. If you stand still, all the badly run clubs keep dropping off behind you

I could not agree more, the players may be fitter but the overall skill set is missing in most teams.

This.

just looking at the table 2007 / players and teams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Premier_League

other than the top 4 would say last years is as good or better in most cases.

Blackburn are 7th https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Blackburn_Rovers_F.C._season and villa are 6th https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Aston_Villa_F.C._season

Sorry i may be dim but i am not sure of your point, are you saying that you believe that football is better in todays game?

Did I say anything about signing a mercenary? Not all signings are mercenaries

Is Alderweireld a mercenary? Dele? Wanyama? Son? They are 4 players signed in the last 3 years who each have contributed massively to our upturn in fortunes.

If the club had taken the policy of not signing anyone and just relied on the existing players growing organically then I don't think we would have done as well as we have.

Sorry i may be dim but i am not sure of your point, are you saying that you believe that football is better in todays game?
yes I am saying that last years teams and players were a lot better than 10 years ago - we have lost quality at the top 4 but in my opinion have improved outside of this.

I didn't have a firm opinion so went back to the league table in 2007 to see the difference and I would say 2007 league table vs 2017 league table the 2017 wins (teams in each position play each other). all hypothetical so wont argue the point just thought I would post the table to illustrate the change.

yes I am saying that last years teams and players were a lot better than 10 years ago - we have lost quality at the top 4 but in my opinion have improved outside of this.

I didn't have a firm opinion so went back to the league table in 2007 to see the difference and I would say 2007 league table vs 2017 league table the 2017 wins (teams in each position play each other). all hypothetical so wont argue the point just thought I would post the table to illustrate the change.

Fair enough, i disagree but its all about opinons at the end of the day. There seems in todays game a lot emphasis put on speed and strength of most players ( not saying all) more then on skill. Of course there are still players who have the skill and use it but there are many teams who relie more on shape, strength and then pace on the breakaway.

Individual players are not allowed to express them selves as much as they used to and because of this most teams play to a set system. Now i am not saying there are not exceptions to that but overall i do believe that the game has suffered in entertainment levels over the years.

But as i said Stop! Hammer time and i understand that some will disagree with me.

Fair enough, i disagree but its all about opinons at the end of the day. There seems in todays game a lot emphasis put on speed and strength of most players ( not saying all) more then on skill. Of course there are still players who have the skill and use it but there are many teams who relie more on shape, strength and then pace on the breakaway.

Individual players are not allowed to express them selves as much as they used to and because of this most teams play to a set system. Now i am not saying there are not exceptions to that but overall i do believe that the game has suffered in entertainment levels over the years.

But as i said Stop! Hammer time and i understand that some will disagree with me.
Bang on. I suppose it is a symptom of the development trend for young players really. Too much emphasis has been put on the physical aspect of youth teams, their size and speed, and less importance on their technique. It is slowly changing though and Spurs in particular seem to be in the vanguard of this change in the pro game.

I think that's the worst cliche in football. And not true at all.

The EPL has been declining in standard for much of the last decade. If you stand still, all the badly run clubs keep dropping off behind you

Cliches usually become cliches, because they are truisms!

Regardless, all our principal rivals will undoubtedly strengthen this summer, so if we stay the same we will inevitably go backwards in relation to them.

i think the quality of EPl has gone up - that doesn't mean that the top clubs in the EPL only, but generally the top 10 - 12 teams are quite competitive.

if there were a superleague where the top 10 clubs from the top league played each other i believe the england would come up on top !

i think the quality of EPl has gone up - that doesn't mean that the top clubs in the EPL only, but generally the top 10 - 12 teams are quite competitive.

if there were a superleague where the top 10 clubs from the top league played each other i believe the england would come up on top !

So how you explain our poor performances over the last few years in the CL?

Premier league is a far harder league. Innit!
Chelsea will find the two big competitions very draining this season.

English based teams need huge squads with outstanding quality to solve their CL problem.

Last edited:
Back