• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Well ( imo) i would rather we brought Redmond in over Barkley, i expect he would not cost as much either.

I'm open to Barkley joining and think that he could be a useful addition to the squad. I just don't recognise the player that @Pirate55 describes or how he thinks he'd be used.

Well Redknapp junior certainly seems to agree with me. In today's Daily Mail under the heading "Ross could thrive under Poch" he says:

"There are not many players who divide opinion like Ross Barkley, but I have always thought he is a fantastic talent. At times he makes the wrong decision but has so much natural ability. I am sure Ross knows where he will be next season but I would love Tottenham to sign him. Barkley has what it takes to be the next Gazza for Spurs - and Mauricio Pochettino can take him to the next level".

High praise indeed. The next Gazza? Even I don't think that is likely to happen but it would be fantastic if it did.

Well Redknapp junior certainly seems to agree with me. In today's Daily Mail under the heading "Ross could thrive under Poch" he says:

"There are not many players who divide opinion like Ross Barkley, but I have always thought he is a fantastic talent. At times he makes the wrong decision but has so much natural ability. I am sure Ross knows where he will be next season but I would love Tottenham to sign him. Barkley has what it takes to be the next Gazza for Spurs - and Mauricio Pochettino can take him to the next level".

High praise indeed. The next Gazza? Even I don't think that is likely to happen but it would be fantastic if it did.

As I have said several times, I am not against signing him. I just do not think that he is the type of player that you think he is and I do not see him playing the role you do.

I'd be careful about using Jamie Redknapp ghosted columns to back up an argument. You are at risk of someone pointing out that he will say any old brick for money.

Then you and I have very different views of what a playmaker is

he was before my time tbf - always had him down as a goalscoring maverick type rather than a creative force, maybe kind of like the type of player Dembele would be if he scored more and defended less?

not sure what Gazza or Jamie Redknapp has to do with anything though

No but neither was Modric or Hoddle, yet all are playmakers

I think that Modric and Hoddle are a lot closer to Eriksen than Barkley is.

Which goes back to my point about using Winks. An option without Eriksen would be to use Winks as a deep lying playmaker. This is my argument against you thinking Barkley could do it, I just don't see him pulling the strings like that.

I think that Modric and Hoddle are a lot closer to Eriksen than Barkley is.

Which goes back to my point about using Winks. An option without Eriksen would be to use Winks as a deep lying playmaker. This is my argument against you thinking Barkley could do it, I just don't see him pulling the strings like that.

They are all different and yet have key attributes that make them all playmakers. Poch clearly favours Winks in a deeper Modric type role. Barkley is more the sort of playmaker that wants to make things happen higher up the pitch ala Gazza. In my view, Lamela doesn't have those key attributes. He has re-invented himself from a Bale-light type wide player when we bought him to adding phenomenal workrate and an aggressive pressing style to his game, but that does not compensate for the key attributes of a genuine playmaker in my view.

They are all different and yet have key attributes that make them all playmakers. Poch clearly favours Winks in a deeper Modric type role. Barkley is more the sort of playmaker that wants to make things happen higher up the pitch ala Gazza. In my view, Lamela doesn't have those key attributes. He has re-invented himself from a Bale-light type wide player when we bought him to adding phenomenal workrate and an aggressive pressing style to his game, but that does not compensate for the key attributes of a genuine playmaker in my view.

To me Barkley's biggest asset is running with the ball and taking players on. He's ok in possession but he does not have Eriksen's range of passing or vision. That is why I think that he could play a role in our squad but I think that you are mistaken in thinking he could be an understudy for Eriksen.

you haven't really listed any attributes there (id like to hear from you what attributes you think link Barkley Hoddle Gazza Eriksen and Modric yet allude Lamela...) you have just said that 'he likes to makes things happen further up the pitch' - which is exactly what Lamela does when on the ball - he looks to make things happen further up the pitch and does so at a better rate than Barkley despite being second to Eriksen in play making duties whereas supposedly in your view Barkley is Evertons leading playmaker and 'heartbeat' so in theory in a much better position to affect games more than Lamela does for us, yet doesn't

Last edited:
To me Barkley's biggest asset is running with the ball and taking players on. He's ok in possession but he does not have Eriksen's range of passing or vision. That is why I think that he could play a role in our squad but I think that you are mistaken in thinking he could be an understudy for Eriksen.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. At least you recognise he would be an asset in the squad. He may or may not have Eriksen's cuteness in passing, but he certainly has a much more wicked dead ball delivery from corners and free kicks. With the amount of both of those we get, that is surely a significant major advantage, no?.

Maybe not not for the price or the expectations.

I don't think we will get a like for like replacement for Eriksen but possibly a feasible alternative to our pay to change up pay would be.

Does Ross provide that?

We'll have to agree to disagree then. At least you recognise he would be an asset in the squad. He may or may not have Eriksen's cuteness in passing, but he certainly has a much more wicked dead ball delivery from corners and free kicks. With the amount of both of those we get, that is surely a significant major advantage, no?.

But it is Eriksen's cuteness of passing that I think is the biggest loss when he is out. Eriksen is the brain of our team.

I am not overly concerned about our deadball options without Eriksen; Kane, Lamela and Dier can all take decent free kicks and there are others in the squad who look capable too. Lamela frequently took corners last season too. If a player coming in can take deadballs then that is a bonus for me.

But it is Eriksen's cuteness of passing that I think is the biggest loss when he is out. Eriksen is the brain of our team.

I am not overly concerned about our deadball options without Eriksen; Kane, Lamela and Dier can all take decent free kicks and there are others in the squad who look capable too. Lamela frequently took corners last season too. If a player coming in can take deadballs then that is a bonus for me.

And thats why we are still looking for a player in that role. Neither Lamela nor Winks is that player. That is why I was so keen on Isco in January and would like to see Barkley. However, I think it is all likely to be moot as I expect Barkley to stay at Everton and continue to be their main man.

Back