• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Crystal Palace OMT ***

Must win game so expect another huge gamble from Poch for no reason

Lloris
Walker Dier Alderweireld Vertonghen
Wanyama Eriksen
Trippier Alli Son
Kane

Something batbrick crazy like that.

:D:D:D

Good one!

I just try to find positives where negatives have been big. I was absolutely gutted Saturday. Gutted. Because it wasn't fair. So staying in that frame would destroy all the enjoyment, fun and trust built over nearly three seasons of Poch! Unfairly!

But what I do know is the greater sum total of what I am seeing suggests greatness, TRUE greatness, is right around the corner. And that as the facts stand, we could still win the title.

Sadly I am not quite as confident about myself (though I back myself as being a decent human being and try to live up to it)...that last bit about 'best man in the country' would probably be the surest case of 'fake news' in the history of fake news!!!!!!!!:D

Yeah, all valid points Steff.

I do wish I shared your optimism when it comes to Spurs, I suppose my realism is a defence mechanism as I've been left gutted so many times over the years after we've come close to winning trophies but fell short at the last hurdle or the 2nd to last hurdle when it comes to FA cup semi finals.

I've posted this in another thread, it appears to me that we miss that final 5 or 10% that it takes to elevate you from challenging to actually winning titles and big trophies. I don't know that final piece actually is but we just don't have it in my opinion. I look at the starting eleven's of the other teams in the top 6 and I genuinely believe we are a match for any of them, Chelsea included so it's not a personnel issue. Poch is relatively inexperienced so maybe it's that. We seem to struggle whenever we've had the chance to win to go top of the league, twice last season and twice this season IIRC. Not a massive sample size but it counts for something.

If I was a neutral, I'd be 70-80% confident that we are knocking on the door of winning the title and becoming a dominant force but I've supported us all my life and have kind of got used to disappointment. The closest comparison I can think of is that for years I wanted Andy Murray to win Wimbledon and I never thought he would after he lost to Federer in 2012. Even though the majority of pundits and ex players said it was only a matter of time, I never thought he would do it. It feels similar to that I guess.

I do wish I shared your optimism when it comes to Spurs, I suppose my realism is a defence mechanism as I've been left gutted so many times over the years after we've come close to winning trophies but fell short at the last hurdle or the 2nd to last hurdle when it comes to FA cup semi finals.

I've posted this in another thread, it appears to me that we miss that final 5 or 10% that it takes to elevate you from challenging to actually winning titles and big trophies. I don't know that final piece actually is but we just don't have it in my opinion. I look at the starting eleven's of the other teams in the top 6 and I genuinely believe we are a match for any of them, Chelsea included so it's not a personnel issue. Poch is relatively inexperienced so maybe it's that. We seem to struggle whenever we've had the chance to win to go top of the league, twice last season and twice this season IIRC. Not a massive sample size but it counts for something.

If I was a neutral, I'd be 70-80% confident that we are knocking on the door of winning the title and becoming a dominant force but I've supported us all my life and have kind of got used to disappointment. The closest comparison I can think of is that for years I wanted Andy Murray to win Wimbledon and I never thought he would after he lost to Federer in 2012. Even though the majority of pundits and ex players said it was only a matter of time, I never thought he would do it. It feels similar to that I guess.

Indeed my friend I understand...but here's the logic behind my optimism.

1) Since Poch arrived we have improved each season.
2) We are on the verge of guaranteeing CL football again next season, first time back-to-back ever.
3) Our injuries this season have been worse than anybody in top 4 or 5 bar Liverpool. Some have had two out to deal with, we have played almost the entire season without fielding our first 11. I believe our first-choice defense has played less than 7 matches together, and given the importance of Rose/Walker, that is significant. We missed Kane for what, 8 games total? Lamela since October. Vertonghen for a big stretch. And then Winks got crocked right as he was a very, very viable member of our match day squad. Chelski have had amazing luck with injuries (probably due to more rest/deeper bench). Alonso was out at Man U and they were brick.
4) Our midfield has spring to life in a scoring sense. Goals now come from everywhere. Oh, and that three season wonder isn't too shabby!!!!
5) Honestly, the dive from Moses on Saturday was one thing; that goes for and against you. But Atkinson's failure to referee the game by the rules, and largely overlook Chelsea's egregious fouling and dark-arts tactics was a disgrace. If there is ANY criticism, it is we need to get cuter ourselves. We're getting there.
6) We are the best team in the country. It is a matter of time. Next season will be his third proper season with all the deadwood gone in charge (first season was university!)...I expect some Prem-proven talent (Zaha, Keane) to come in, and a ship-out of two (Sissoko and Georges)...maybe one other massive surprise, who knows?

Now for the illogical 7th point.

7) How ultimately Spurs would it be to now win the title? Easiest path to trophy denied. Chavs supposedly carrying all the momentum. Maybe a bit arrogant. A bit roostery. Perhaps it bites them. Perhaps we end up winning it on goal difference, you know, Aguero-style at Hull? Why not? why not dream? Because I think TBH, if this season ends up being deemed a 'failure' than WE are the tossers!!!

Good chat mate...

7) How ultimately Spurs would it be to now win the title? Easiest path to trophy denied. Chavs supposedly carrying all the momentum. Maybe a bit arrogant. A bit roostery. Perhaps it bites them. Perhaps we end up winning it on goal difference, you know, Aguero-style at Hull? Why not?

Damn. You must've been following this club for a lot longer than I have (est 1991). :D :p

Indeed my friend I understand...but here's the logic behind my optimism.

1) Since Poch arrived we have improved each season.
2) We are on the verge of guaranteeing CL football again next season, first time back-to-back ever.
3) Our injuries this season have been worse than anybody in top 4 or 5 bar Liverpool. Some have had two out to deal with, we have played almost the entire season without fielding our first 11. I believe our first-choice defense has played less than 7 matches together, and given the importance of Rose/Walker, that is significant. We missed Kane for what, 8 games total? Lamela since October. Vertonghen for a big stretch. And then Winks got crocked right as he was a very, very viable member of our match day squad. Chelski have had amazing luck with injuries (probably due to more rest/deeper bench). Alonso was out at Man U and they were brick.
4) Our midfield has spring to life in a scoring sense. Goals now come from everywhere. Oh, and that three season wonder isn't too shabby!!!!
5) Honestly, the dive from Moses on Saturday was one thing; that goes for and against you. But Atkinson's failure to referee the game by the rules, and largely overlook Chelsea's egregious fouling and dark-arts tactics was a disgrace. If there is ANY criticism, it is we need to get cuter ourselves. We're getting there.
6) We are the best team in the country. It is a matter of time. Next season will be his third proper season with all the deadwood gone in charge (first season was university!)...I expect some Prem-proven talent (Zaha, Keane) to come in, and a ship-out of two (Sissoko and Georges)...maybe one other massive surprise, who knows?

Now for the illogical 7th point.

7) How ultimately Spurs would it be to now win the title? Easiest path to trophy denied. Chavs supposedly carrying all the momentum. Maybe a bit arrogant. A bit roostery. Perhaps it bites them. Perhaps we end up winning it on goal difference, you know, Aguero-style at Hull? Why not? why not dream? Because I think TBH, if this season ends up being deemed a 'failure' than WE are the tossers!!!

Good chat mate...

See I cant argue with any of that

We have progressed from last season and Ultimately it's all you can ask for to start with

Yes we can't win the FA cup now but it wasn't for the want of trying on anyone's behalf. Cup game scan go anyway with luck/judgment/timing etc... he'll by rights we should have gone out to Wycombe.

With the greatest respect I think some Spurs fans are too sensitive to what other fans think of them. Rival fans will always find things to bait each other about. We are building a team there will be bumps along the way. Two horse race, three horse race who gives a brick? I want to see us make progress every season even our harshest critic will find it hard to argue that we are not. It's funny how negative certain sections of our fan base can be after a loss even though it was against the current best side in the league.

I know it sounds easy to say mate but patience is important, we are in the process of taking a huge leap from top 4 challengers to established title contenders. I have said before I had a target of us getting 80 points at least this season. That would be new ground in terms of points and would establish this team as serious title contenders, giving us a great platform to work from for next season.

There's a lot of hate flying around just now about spurs from rival fans, and hate fed by fear.
They can see we are team in the up and it worries them.
Not that we are going to be the dominant force in English football, because there isnt going be one, but that it's going to make it all the harder for their team to get into top 4.
Weve upset what the top 4 see as the natural order. Chelsea, and the Mancs would be quite happy sharing the title between and staying in the top 4, leaving arsenal and Liverpool to fight it out for the 4th spot.
Then we've come along and tinkled on that, and it's not a dribbling tinkle from a 90 year old with a prostate like a raisin, but a long golden stream from the rooster of a fine strapping boy of 21 summers.
And that's what really hurts, this isn't a Leicester style fluke season, we're here for the foreseeable.
We're not about to implode like Keegan Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we have a stable manager with ling terms goals.
This isn't a bank rolled Blackburn with an egomaniac owner, we have a sustainable business model.
This isn't brentons one player team riding that talent for all he's worth, this is a team of talent.
We may win cups or titles, but even if we don't it been a privilege to be watch this team.

I agree with bedford, rob and glasgow... now is the time to stand tall, proud and tough. people are laying on some hate because we are very very very good and they are genuinely fudging scared. As they should be.

It is coming...

...let's remind people on Wednesday, which will absolutely be a tough, belting game!

I agree with bedford, rob and glasgow... now is the time to stand tall, proud and tough. people are laying on some hate because we are very very very good and they are genuinely fudging scared. As they should be.

It is coming...

...let's remind people on Wednesday, which will absolutely be a tough, belting game!
You forgot 'must win'!

Just seen interviews with Dier and Eriksen, and those made me quite confident that we will see another good performance from the boys on Wednesday. Dier look gutted, but at the same time determined to fight back. Eriksen was more upbeat, and kind of laughed of how we lost that. Matic screamer into the top corner, you know it isn't you day. It seemed they're gonna go for it no matter what. Proud of the boys!

Massive game for us.

This is a psychological mountain to climb after the last few days for us.

Should we just defend ..and counter on the bounce...seems what every other club does to us as we keep getting caught out by this tactic.

Anyway..Oh when the Spurs..........................

With the greatest respect I think some Spurs fans are too sensitive to what other fans think of them. Rival fans will always find things to bait each other about. We are building a team there will be bumps along the way. Two horse race, three horse race who gives a brick? I want to see us make progress every season even our harshest critic will find it hard to argue that we are not. It's funny how negative certain sections of our fan base can be after a loss even though it was against the current best side in the league.

There's a lot of hate flying around just now about spurs from rival fans, and hate fed by fear.
They can see we are team in the up and it worries them.
Not that we are going to be the dominant force in English football, because there isnt going be one, but that it's going to make it all the harder for their team to get into top 4.
Weve upset what the top 4 see as the natural order. Chelsea, and the Mancs would be quite happy sharing the title between and staying in the top 4, leaving arsenal and Liverpool to fight it out for the 4th spot.
Then we've come along and tinkled on that, and it's not a dribbling tinkle from a 90 year old with a prostate like a raisin, but a long golden cat video on youtube from the rooster of a fine strapping boy of 21 summers.
And that's what really hurts, this isn't a Leicester style fluke season, we're here for the foreseeable.
We're not about to implode like Keegan Saudi Sportswashing Machine, we have a stable manager with ling terms goals.
This isn't a bank rolled Blackburn with an egomaniac owner, we have a sustainable business model.
This isn't brentons one player team riding that talent for all he's worth, this is a team of talent.
We may win cups or titles, but even if we don't it been a privilege to be watch this team.

Both the above are great posts and i agree 100%;

Most peeps (even the guardian podcast) are saying we're the best team in the league right now! And I agree with the rest of your post. I was gutted by the defeat but after that feeling subsided the stronger feeling of how we've coped with this season has taken prominence. If in August you'd suggested we'd be in 2nd now after all the key injuries we've had no one would have believed it. Now we just have to remain focused during the run in and not balls it up like last season.

Back