• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

****TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs west sham united************

Lloris
Naughton Kaboul Vertonghen Rose
Capoue Bentaleb
Eriksen Lamela Lennon
Adebayor​

Pretty confident that will be the team. I'd rather Eriksen and Lamela were switched though.
That'd be my choice too

Why would we start Eriksen on the right? i know he played there a few times in pre season but he didn't do anything. To me his ideal position is on the left BUT i do understand why people want him centrally...

You'll have to ask Poch, he's the one who's played him there in every pre season game so far, granted it's a fluid three but his starting position has always been drifting in from the right. I'd rather he and Lamela swapped or even he and Lennon.

That'd be my choice too

Like Jord said, that will pretty much be the team maybe bar Ade/Soldado and Bentaleb/Holtby. I dont think anyone could really question the manager whichever he picks out of them.

Will Capoue definitely be fit? Im assuming he was injured as didnt feature...

I will be fascinated by who is picked in midfield. So many to choose from, and clearly Poch would like Schneiderlin. But Poch may turn one or two of the current crop into a real players. Who is malleable? Who has the talent and personality?

I think Holtby will get a start. In Rossi's formation above, either for Lennon or more likely for Bentaleb. Mind you against wetspam, it might be better to play Sandro or Dembele in the middle with Capoue and Holtby for Lennnon. I think that would be my preference in this particular game.

I get that a Sandro - Capoue combination would give us a lot of height and power against West Ham, but I think it leaves us short on passing ability and creativity and is a bit too reactive considering who we're up against.

I would go for Capoue or Sandro alongside Bentaleb. Would still give us height (more than Holtby), although not quite as much power, but add a lot of passing ability and skill to our midfield. I don't think Dembele is ready and with Capoue playing more than Sandro in pre-season and Sandro still working his way back to full fitness I would probably say Capoue alongside Bentaleb.

Edit: Also, if Schneiderlin is the player we want in I think Bentaleb is the player in our squad currently that's closest to him in playing style.

Last edited:
As long as nobody gets injured that's at least 9/11. Ade or Soldado could go either way. Expecting Holtby to get the nod over Bentaleb for now.

Is Rose over Ben Davies that obvious to you?

I think Dier could still be preferred without a new injury as Vertonghen probably isn't 100%.

I think given who has played and performed in pre-season, we might be seeing this:

_______________Lloris

Naughton__Kaboul___Vertonghen___Rose

_________Capoue____Holtby

Eriksen________Lamela________Lennon

_____________Adebayor

Only doubts for me are Ade vs Soldado, Holtby vs any number of CM's and Davies vs Rose. Personally i'd like to see the more solid defensively looking Davies away to West Ham, but i have a sneak Rose's good pre-season form will see him selected.

Like Jord said, that will pretty much be the team maybe bar Ade/Soldado and Bentaleb/Holtby. I dont think anyone could really question the manager whichever he picks out of them.

Will Capoue definitely be fit? Im assuming he was injured as didnt feature...
Holtby lunging in on Saturday would tip the balance towards Bentaleb for me but I could understand if it went the other way.

Is Rose over Ben Davies that obvious to you?

I think Dier could still be preferred without a new injury as Vertonghen probably isn't 100%.

If Poch is going on pre season peformance then Rose easily wins. Of course he could go on other factors ie opposition etc

Maybe Rose needed this direct competition to really push himself...

Holtby lunging in on Saturday would tip the balance towards Bentaleb for me but I could understand if it went the other way.

That's certainly one point in Bentaleb's favour, not the first time Holtby has been a bit overzealous either. For me the most important point is that it's a position (assuming a 4-2-3-1-ish line-up) that Bentaleb featured in quite frequently last season whereas Holtby has primarily played further forward in the PL and not really looked ready for a deeper role when given the chance with perhaps one or two exceptions.

I think given who has played and performed in pre-season, we might be seeing this:

_______________Lloris

Naughton__Kaboul___Vertonghen___Rose

_________Capoue____Holtby

Eriksen________Lamela________Lennon

_____________Adebayor

Only doubts for me are Ade vs Soldado, Holtby vs any number of CM's and Davies vs Rose. Personally i'd like to see the more solid defensively looking Davies away to West Ham, but i have a sneak Rose's good pre-season form will see him selected.

Indeeed, and lets be honest if it was more of a fans favourite that had been showing his good form there would be uproar on here if not selected. As already said will be surprised if Rose wasnt given the nod.....

If Poch is going on pre season peformance then Rose easily wins. Of course he could go on other factors ie opposition etc

Maybe Rose needed this direct competition to really push himself...

Pre-season is something very different and most of the teams we've been up at have been far from PL level.

Up against West Ham's punting and crossing play the fullback's role will be quite different I think.

Not saying that Rose hasn't done well, and I won't be upset at all if he starts, but for me the performances in those pre-season games is only one small factor. If Ben Davies was signed because Poch/Baldini/the scouts/Pleat thinks he's better than Rose I would rather see him integrated sooner than later.

Lloris
Naughton Kaboul Vertonghen Davies
Holtby Capoue
Lamela Lennon Eriksen
Soldado​

0-2 win, Soldado and Holtby.

Pre-season is something very different and most of the teams we've been up at have been far from PL level.

Up against West Ham's punting and crossing play the fullback's role will be quite different I think.

Not saying that Rose hasn't done well, and I won't be upset at all if he starts, but for me the performances in those pre-season games is only one small factor. If Ben Davies was signed because Poch/Baldini/the scouts/Pleat thinks he's better than Rose I would rather see him integrated sooner than later.

Yes pre season is different to the PL, you'd think it would be easier for Davies to look good in pre season than the PL no? I dont think Davies was signed as a definite starter, the thing you notice about all our signings is that they provide genuine direct competition. Some signings are obviously squad members but look at Dier, Davies and even Worm (Lloris is better but we dont usually have such a top reserve) they are all challenging for starting places so we have genuine competition and the chances are come the end of the season both Davies and Rose would have played a very similar number of games....

They are missing their two main strikers meaning Carlton Cole will probably start (Zarate maybe but doubt Fat Sam will do that). They haven't improved much at all tbh...we need to be beating them.

Yes pre season is different to the PL, you'd think it would be easier for Davies to look good in pre season than the PL no? I dont think Davies was signed as a definite starter, the thing you notice about all our signings is that they provide genuine direct competition. Some signings are obviously squad members but look at Dier, Davies and even Worm (Lloris is better but we dont usually have such a top reserve) they are all challenging for starting places so we have genuine competition and the chances are come the end of the season both Davies and Rose would have played a very similar number of games....

Imo it's easier for a winger turned full-back that loves running forward like Rose to impress in often fairly open pre-season games against poor opposition than it is for a more defensive and solid full back to do the same.

Imo it's easier for a winger turned full-back that loves running forward like Rose to impress in often fairly open pre-season games against poor opposition than it is for a more defensive and solid full back to do the same.

That's a fair comment, but are you saying Schalke are poor opposition? Because he was easily the better of the two in that game too. If it was Davies that had performed as Rose has all pre season people would be getting excited. Rose was never as bad as some make out on here, he's far from perfect but I'd hedge my bets he's going to end up being a very good Lb under Poch. He was constantly exposed last season and working under a proper system I expect him to flourish. I look forward to his competition with Davies....

World cup has messed our pre-season and start to the season up - my views on the line up:

Lloris
Naughts Kaboom Dier Davies (he'll play away games Rose to play home games)
Capoue (if not injured) Holtby
Eriksen Lamela Lennon
Ade

decent side, BUT we will get beat by the Spammers who will continue the hoodoo at least for another game- if we had the world cup players (and injured players like Walker) back might have swung it the other way but The Spammers also beat Poch's Southampton 3-1 at home last season, which gives me a better idea of how MP fared last year.

Not hating just trying ot be objective - I would love it for MP to get off to a winning start but it really is down to the players now to put into motion what pearls of wisdom he is sharing with them. up top we look ok it's just the middle that worries me (of both Mid and Defence).

Back