• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

** Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United Capital One Cup Semi Final Second Leg OMT **

Re: ** Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United Capital One Cup Semi Final Second Leg OM

No, but most of my cup ones have. We'll draw the match and go trough.

Ahah !!! You mean for us to go to the pigs ! Lads, we've got a WUM !

But seriously, I do hope we nick a win and go through ... no more draws otherwise this Katey Jordan poster/staff member will do another OMT !!!

The away goals rule should be abandoned completely. It is a bizarre and entirely random way to decide the outcome of a football match. I am surprised it is never discussed, but it has probably been around for so long that no one questions it.

People complain about penalties being an unfair way to settle football matches, that it is a lottery and so on. But it is certainly a better way to decide a match than the away goals' rule. Success in a penalty shootout is down to striking the ball well, having a good goalkeeper and coping with the pressure. All important qualities in football. The away goals rule, on the other hand, is a technicality.

I suppose some of the reasoning behind the away goals rule is that it should encourage the away team to be more attack-minded, and that it will subsequently lead to more entertaining football, but it works the other way around most of the time. The away team (at least in the first leg) sits back anyway, but it also makes the home team more cautious because they are terrified of conceding an away goal.

Not sure that I agree. Difficult to say as there are very few apt comparisons with plenty of games played over two legs without the away goals rule.

For me though, looking at CL games they often reach a bit of a stand-off when the overall draw that would take it into extra time is reached and I would worry that as this would happen a lot more frequently without the away goals rule you would get a lot more situation where both teams are either too scared to go for it or satisfied with taking the tie into extra time. I really like the setup in the second leg of "away goals" ties. It's almost always a situation where one team has to attack and can't be satisfied with the current score. A stretch perhaps, but I think it's somewhat comparable to group stage games in international tournaments where in the last round of games teams have to get results or go out. Compared to the first round of games where often in the past both teams have been satisfied with a draw.

Taking more games into extra time (seems inevitable) would also make EL and CL football an even bigger strain on teams and players than it already is.

The current league cup setup seems to be chosen as a result of preferring outscoring the opponents as the decider if at all possible, if that's not possible then away goals is preferable to penalty shootouts. Slightly different to other options used in the EL and CL for example, but not a bad one for me.

From the guy that brought you such classics as

Burnley 1-1 Tottenham

Tottenham 1-1 Besiktas

Stevenage 0-0 Tottenham

150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png
VS
150px-Sheffield_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Where: The other Lane

When: Wednesday, in the evening some time

Who:

Lloris
Walker Fazio Vertonghen Rose
Stambouli Mason
Lamela Kane Eriksen
Soldado​

irish-badgers-on-holiday.jpg

honeybadger1.jpg

angry-badger.jpg

angry_badger-9202.jpg
From the guy that brought you such classics as

Burnley 1-1 Tottenham

Tottenham 1-1 Besiktas

Stevenage 0-0 Tottenham

150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg.png
VS
150px-Sheffield_United_FC_logo.svg.png

Where: The other Lane

When: Wednesday, in the evening some time

Who:

Lloris
Walker Fazio Vertonghen Rose
Stambouli Mason
Lamela Kane Eriksen
Soldado​

irish-badgers-on-holiday.jpg

honeybadger1.jpg

angry-badger.jpg

angry_badger-9202.jpg

Again, I think the reason games may become cautious affairs when the scoreline is one that will lead to extra time, is the away goals rule. Home teams then become afraid of conceding another goal, cause that would mean they have to score two more to get through. If they had only needed one more goal to be back on even terms, the consequence of conceding a goal would be smaller, and that might lead to them being more attacking.

The most important point for me, however, is that it is a completely random way to decide a football match. It's a draw, and the game is decided by a technicality, and I don't think that is right. You could just as well make the captains compete in rock-paper-scissors, or flip a coin, as decide a match with the away goals rule. These options are equally fair.

More ties would go to extra time, as you say, but I am sure professional footballers can handle playing an extra 30 minutes once or twice over the course of a season. How many knockout rounds are there? Three in the CL and five in the EL? I don't think that's a very good argument.

Poch more or less confirms that Vorm will start the game tomorrow.

Am I the only one who do not agree with this?

I know that Vorm has played every domestic cup tie this season, but there is a final at stake here.

We have one of the best goakeepers on our books in Lloris; if Vorm starts tomorrow then it will be the 3rd game in a row that Lloris is rested.

Bad choice imo.

So you have a very good 2nd choice keeper who has probably been told that he will start cup games, We get to a semi final and we drop the lad. Now looking at it like that do you still think its lunacy? or do you think it might be a great way of keeping him smiling and around the place? because lets face it Loris will probably not be around the season after next.

No issues with Vorm. Good luck to the team. Sheffield Utd will try and make this a tie, but they'll need to atleast manage a shot on target to threaten us. We score, they need 3.

Again, I think the reason games may become cautious affairs when the scoreline is one that will lead to extra time, is the away goals rule. Home teams then become afraid of conceding another goal, cause that would mean they have to score two more to get through. If they had only needed one more goal to be back on even terms, the consequence of conceding a goal would be smaller, and that might lead to them being more attacking.

The most important point for me, however, is that it is a completely random way to decide a football match. It's a draw, and the game is decided by a technicality, and I don't think that is right. You could just as well make the captains compete in rock-paper-scissors, or flip a coin, as decide a match with the away goals rule. These options are equally fair.

More ties would go to extra time, as you say, but I am sure professional footballers can handle playing an extra 30 minutes once or twice over the course of a season. How many knockout rounds are there? Three in the CL and five in the EL? I don't think that's a very good argument.

Disagree on the first point.

It's not really random as it's well established and well known of beforehand. If it was decided that way after the games it would be random.

So you have a very good 2nd choice keeper who has probably been told that he will start cup games, We get to a semi final and we drop the lad. Now looking at it like that do you still think its lunacy? or do you think it might be a great way of keeping him smiling and around the place? because lets face it Loris will probably not be around the season after next.

I would be fine starting Vorm for this, but personally I would like to see Hugo start if we get to the final.

If Vorm starts thats means he intents to play Vorm in the final too.
Imagine Kaboul or Adebayor captain at Wembley.

Back