• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*******TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR VS Saudi Sportswashing Machine OMT**********************

Here's my take. We started poorly, playing Dembele in the holding role really does not get the best out of him especially as his passing is not good enough and his default is to run with the ball, he will tend to dwell on the ball too long in dangerous positiosn. Whereas Sandro is a better tackler and tends to release the ball more quickly albeit safely. Calling Dembele useless though is extreme he was very effective for Fulham in an advanced role. Paulinho does not seem to have adjusted to the physicality or pace of the English game he needs a spell on the side lines or in the cup games rather than PL. The second half started as we know we can playr but then the defoe sub I will never understand. Neither Defoe nor Soldado do much outside the box so you are going to be outnumbered in midfield. If Defoe was an on form Ade that would be different. Personally I would have taken off Paulinho, brought Lamela to the right Townsend on the left and Sigg through the middle. But again AVB seems enamoured by inverted wingers.

This thread is utterly hilarious. Well played to Mumorn, the last few pages of spoilt children accusing him of not being a Spurs fan or other such rubbish, he's the only one looking like an adult until Nexus showed up.

Seriously guys, grow up.

Did we deserve to lose today? Clearly not. Can it happen in football? Yes, regularly, and will do so to the other teams too. Are our lives dramatically affected by this result? Not in the slightest.

We could lose every home game 0-5 and you will still find a way to put a positive spin on it.

This thread is utterly hilarious. Well played to Mumorn, the last few pages of spoilt children accusing him of not being a Spurs fan or other such rubbish, he's the only one looking like an adult until Nexus showed up.

Seriously guys, grow up.

Did we deserve to lose today? Clearly not. Can it happen in football? Yes, regularly, and will do so to the other teams too. Are our lives dramatically affected by this result? Not in the slightest.

Sigh

Pathetic post and one that I wont even entertain in responding to in its entirety as I wouldnt want to tread on anyone toes stooping down to your level.

AVB made a big mistake in not playing Lamala. He looked superb on Thursday and deserved to start today. If he had we would have won.

Seriously guys, grow up.

Today reminded me of Spurs under Martin Jol in a way. Not good enough first half and then a good attempt to turn it around in the second. Yes we get a point more often than not and probably win more often than we lose in a game where the chances are as skewed. But that doesn't change the fact that we weren't good enough in that first half/opening 30 minutes.

If you let teams take the lead like that, if you start poorly only to then try to turn it around you will sometimes fail. But if you come out of the blocks and take control of games then your chances will be significantly better. You will deservedly win more and you will undeservedly lose less.

Edit: And the change to 4-4-2. I realize that sometimes Defoe will score and it will look like a great sub and that had AVB put on Lamela and we still hadn't scored someone would be blaming him for not putting on Defoe, but to me it's the wrong move and the way the game developed after that sub and just how predictable that change was indicates to me that it wasn't the right move and managers will get criticism for those moves.

Last edited:
A question for the ones who say we should part company with AVB, who is out there to replace him? I for one wants him to stay till the end of the season to see if he turns the team into a winning team.

what in your life changes if we finish in either of those positions? what changed in your life when we missed out on CL last year by a point? anything? or did you just brush it off and look forward to the new season? I imagine the same will happen again regardless of where we finish this year.

what changes is that we go from 52 to 53 years since winning the League..........ooooch that hurts.

Although football wont save the World....will it? or any of us from snuffing it unfortunately....LOL...

life is a game....football is serious.....

why I haven't and wont attack another forum member I can understand people's frustrations.......this will put me in a bad mood for days....not saying that's right or wrong but when we lose it defo affects my life and how I am with others.....prob shouldn't but does...

at least we have zero expectation against manc clubs coming up next...........I have always waved the AVB flag but I can understand some people's anger....he right and royally clucked up today and I am angry myself...though I will probably calm down soon though.

I think the problem is the fact that we seem to set up to KEEP a clean sheet. We know we have had trouble creating chances all season so we seem to aim to keep a cleansheet because we can't lose that way. Once Saudi Sportswashing Machine took the lead, not only did it knock us a bit but we it meant we HAD to attack. Cleansheet was out of question, we now had to actually score goals to try and get something from the game, that illustrated our problem even more.

Sigh

Pathetic post and one that I wont even entertain in responding to in its entirety as I wouldnt want to tread on anyone toes stooping down to your level.

:ross:

Because I don't start drawing ultimate conclusions of our players and manager based on one game?

What is pathetic is how people on this forum go for one of our young players like Townsend. Me not attacking our club today is not pathetic. So many times I have seen over my seasons watching football, that runs of form happen. Bad games happen. Shock results happen and great, unexpected wins happen. But still, people don't learn. After a game it's 'we should NEVER do that formation again', what a 'TERRIBLE' sub from AVB, 'Dembele is rubbish/Paulinho is rubbish', 'We will be fighting for 8th this year'. It's all utter nonsense.

Yes, really really **** first half. Much better second and we could have easily won the game.

Although the attacks on Murmon are a bit childish and over the top.

Completely agreed.

However, as I've mentioned before, there are 2 incredibly annoying extremes on this board. People who will be negative and go overboard on everything, regardless of what we see. And people who will be annoyingly, holier than thou positive on everything, to the extent that they will attack fans who dare to criticise and say negative things about the manager or the team.

We've now played 6 home games in the league so far this season. We've scored 5 in those games and picked up 10 points from a group of teams that I'm sorry, are not particularly impressive.

In many of those games (and in most of the away ones), our general attacking play has been poor (and yet until Defoe came on in the second half, I thought our attacking play was actually quite good. Where has that been so far? So we can do it? What the hell was the first half?).

People do realise that the team will need some time to gel. However, there has been little improvement as the season has gone on. Everytime we have looked like we might be turning a bit of a corner (Norwich, first half of Chelsea), we go back to the same dross.

So people have rightly been critical about already losing twice at home only 11 games into the season and being served up some ridiculously boring football. Yet the same individuals will come down hard on those (sometimes overly hysterical) people and criticise, act like a better fan etc etc.

And I don't really understand the football and life comments? Most of us have partners and jobs. Most of us have other hobbies outside of football. Some of us have kids.

So this means that there can't be criticism of our home form and performances so far this season? I don't see the link. Some people do go far overboard on the histrionics about our games but then again, if you're not doing it on a Spurs board after our 2nd home loss so far this season, where and when the hell will these people do it?

Completely agreed.

However, as I've mentioned before, there are 2 incredibly annoying extremes on this board. People who will be negative and go overboard on everything, regardless of what we see. And people who will be annoyingly, holier than thou positive on everything, to the extent that they will attack fans who dare to criticise and say negative things about the manager or the team.

We've now played 6 home games in the league so far this season. We've scored 5 in those games and picked up 10 points from a group of teams that I'm sorry, are not particularly impressive.

So people have rightly been critical about already losing twice at home only 11 games into the season and being served up some ridiculously boring football. Yet the same individuals will come down hard on those (sometimes overly hysterical) people and criticise, act like a better fan etc etc.

Yep being saying this for years. I always thought it was the point of a forum to come on and talk and discuss the game and what we could do better.

For instance i was a being fan of putting townsend in the team, but if you read the townsend thread you will see i said he was poor today and needs dropping and coaching on how and when to cross, some of his shooting is such a waste. But the sheer amount he shoots makes me think it must be a deliberate tactic from the coaching staff.

And I don't really understand the football and life comments? Most of us have partners and jobs. Most of us have other hobbies outside of football. Some of us have kids.

So this means that there can't be criticism of our home form and performances so far this season? I don't see the link. Some people do go far overboard on the histrionics about our games but then again, if you're not doing it on a Spurs board after our 2nd home loss so far this season, where and when the hell will these people do it?

I kick the dog, but we have a new dog because the last one died and this one looks like he might kick me back, so now i go for a 30 mile cycle ride before my sunday roast. Keep up the good fight.

Yep being saying this for years. I always thought it was the point of a forum to come on and talk and discuss the game and what we could do better.

For instance i was a being fan of putting townsend in the team, but if you read the townsend thread you will see i said he was poor today and needs dropping and coaching on how and when to cross, some of his shooting is such a waste. But the sheer amount he shoots makes me think it must be a deliberate tactic from the coaching staff.

I think it is as well. I also remember when his Chelski team played us before xmas 2011, the 1-1 draw, thye were taking A LOT of pot-shots at goal.
I suspect that the thinking is that
a) we may pick up goals from rebounds
b) the more dangerous the shots become the more likely we'll draw out their defenders to block and maybe get space for through balls

What do people think?

I got no complaints about this game, really, except for some shoddy play leading to Saudi Sportswashing Machine's goal. We looked good attacking for once, aggressive and quick. No complaints. Too bad about Krul. Let's hope we keep the attacking play going.

I think it is as well. I also remember when his Chelski team played us before xmas 2011, the 1-1 draw, thye were taking A LOT of pot-shots at goal.
I suspect that the thinking is that
a) we may pick up goals from rebounds
b) the more dangerous the shots become the more likely we'll draw out their defenders to block and maybe get space for through balls

What do people think?

We're not seeing Lamela (who scored 15 goals for Roma last season), Sigurdsson (who has proven himself a real threat from range) or Eriksen (who rather obviously has a crashing shot) shoot with anywhere near the same consistency and in similarly poor situations. Makes me think it's not a coaching thing and rather a young footballer with some limitations making some rather unsurprising poor decisions.

Back