• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Norwich City OMT ***

balebnor1ozcnr.gif

balebnor27jixo.gif

Funny thing is that we were all slagging him off and he wasn't on the best form but how much are we missing Ade? As a foil for our other attackers to work off he is vital in bullying and disorganising defences with his physical presence and build-up play. Last few games without him have seen a lot of possession without the killer chances and I think without another centre forward in the squad (defoe is just a finisher really) we lack a focal point to our attacks. Come back soon Ade or Levy sign a back-up!

Once again we start very poorly against a smaller side. This is becoming worrying.

Parker was just shocking today. Must be the worst he's every played for us at least. Not a good game for Dembele either, and once again when he struggles we struggle.

Fantastic goal from Bale, outstanding.

Holtby looked very good, best debut since Mido? Must surely start our next game.

@LewisHoltby: "I was happy we scored, I thought Gylfi scored too. We pressured them & played good stuff in the second half. Great goal from Gareth. If you leave him space he's deadly. We wanted three points but we look to the next game. We had great support all game it was great to play out there. The wind was bad tonight. I feel very confident out there"

Where is Defoe going in that clip? Doesn't seem to be running into open space. Doesn't seem to be moving away from Bale so as to take a defender with him. Seems to be on a collision course, bringing all defenders in on Bale.

I fully understand why he didn't start but what type of man management is it when a manager continuously gives an established player 5 minutes to show what he can do? even when he does well in the cameo appearances he still can't find it in himself to give him more minutes. Let him play somewhere else if all you're going to do (regardless of result, performance etc etc) is give him 5-10 mins.

Sigurdsson has been worse than Dempsey. Holtby showed on the pitch today why it was the right decision to bring him on instead of Sig.

I don't see how Sigurdsson has any complaints. He was given playing time from the bench even when not really performing, based on some good performances there he got the start against Leeds and wasn't good enough.

Would be much more unfair to not play players that actually have been performing like Lennon, Dempsey, Bale or Dembele.

Hopefully Sigurdsson doesn't share your attitude, if he does I would actually be worried about his future at the club. I think he's very much aware that he hasn't been good enough this season, the frustration you could see when he was taken off against Leeds didn't look directed at AVB. If he's a professional and keeps working hard and keeps trying he will get his chances. If he thinks it's the managers fault that he's not performing well enough then there might actually be a problem. I don't think that's the case though.

Sigurdsson has been worse than Dempsey. Holtby showed on the pitch today why it was the right decision to bring him on instead of Sig.

I don't see how Sigurdsson has any complaints. He was given playing time from the bench even when not really performing, based on some good performances there he got the start against Leeds and wasn't good enough.

Would be much more unfair to not play players that actually have been performing like Lennon, Dempsey, Bale or Dembele.

Hopefully Sigurdsson doesn't share your attitude, if he does I would actually be worried about his future at the club. I think he's very much aware that he hasn't been good enough this season, the frustration you could see when he was taken off against Leeds didn't look directed at AVB. If he's a professional and keeps working hard and keeps trying he will get his chances. If he thinks it's the managers fault that he's not performing well enough then there might actually be a problem. I don't think that's the case though.

"He was given time off the bench even when not performing"

Wow that makes no sense at all..absolutely no sense whatsoever. He was given time of the bench (5- 10 minutes every game btw) because either things wasn't going our way OR AVB was seeing a game out so put him on to kill time. That sentence would make more sense if he was given 30 minutes or so..then yes you could say that but he's given 5 minutes and you come out with that? wow.

Nobody was good enough vs Leeds...not 1 player was good enough. If you can't see that giving a player 5 minutes for 5 or 6 games in a row will not do anything positive for the players morale then that's up to you (as well as the manager changing formations rather then pick you AND picks a player the just signed the day before).

Funny thing is that we were all slagging him off and he wasn't on the best form but how much are we missing Ade? As a foil for our other attackers to work off he is vital in bullying and disorganising defences with his physical presence and build-up play. Last few games without him have seen a lot of possession without the killer chances and I think without another centre forward in the squad (defoe is just a finisher really) we lack a focal point to our attacks. Come back soon Ade or Levy sign a back-up!

His departure could be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully when he comes back Defoe will be dropped and we'll see Adebayor and Dempsey, Defoe has never been the answer IMO, but it would have been shocking man-management to take him out of the team after scoring so consistently during the first half of the season.

Sign up Leandro tomorrow at 10.55pm, sell Defoe in the summer for a decent fee (he will not sit on the bench another year, especially not at his age in a World Cup season) and see where we stand after that, Cavani in the summer would be nice too lol.. make it happen AVB/Levy.

@GarethBale11 "Nice to get the goal but disappointed. The gaffer told us at HT what we needed to do we were much better in the 2nd half. Can't remember the goal to be honest, I've not seen it yet. Glad to score but disappointed not to win"

Wow that makes no sense at all..absolutely no sense whatsoever. He was given time of the bench (5- 10 minutes every game btw) because either things wasn't going our way OR AVB was seeing a game out so put him on to kill time. That sentence would make more sense if he was given 30 minutes or so..then yes you could say that but he's given 5 minutes and you come out with that? wow.

Nobody was good enough vs Leeds...not 1 player was good enough. If you can't see that giving a player 5 minutes for 5 or 6 games in a row will not do anything positive for the players morale then that's up to you (as well as the manager changing formations rather then pick you AND picks a player the just signed the day before).

Have to agree with the Brain I'm afraid mate. Sig was given plenty of chances in the first half of the season and simply wasn't good enough. I know Dempsey hasn't been that much better, but at least he's scored a few goals. Sig's set pieces haven't even been good either.

And AVB could have put someone else on in those situations, Livermore, Townsend etc. 10 minutes is still some time, better than just sitting there for the full 90. He chose Sig and Sig played reasonably well, other players have also played well though and compared to Dempsey, Lennon and Bale there' just no question that Sig doesn't deserve to start ahead of them. More than that it seems pretty clear that it's likely to be better for the team to start Dempsey ahead of him, that's the most important thing.

I agree, there weren't many positives against Leeds, but those are the breaks when you've played yourself out of the team by not performing. Either you take your chances when given to you or you're back on the bench. He will get more chances like I've already said.

Having seen Holtby perform for us today how can you possibly complain about AVB bringing him on instead of Sig? If he thought that was the kind of performance we were likely to get from Holtby it would have been ridiculous to bring Sig on instead just so he wouldn't have his feelings hurt.

Great post.

I actually think Sig has shown a lot of potential this season without ever really impressing. He is going to be an excellent option over the years across the attacking midfield positions IMO. We have the options to play a 'wonky' 4-2-3-1 with either Bale and Holtby or Dempsey/Sigurdsson and Lennon on the wings. We can also play a narrow version of the formation with 3 AMs (Sig, Dempsey and Holtby), or our standard 'wide' version with Bale and Lennon on the wings.

This gives us a massive amount of license to mix it up with a varied selection of industrious and technically able creative threats. Assuming we keep Bale, we will have all these options next year and most of these players will have probably improved significantly.

Have to agree with the Brain I'm afraid mate. Sig was given plenty of chances in the first half of the season and simply wasn't good enough. I know Dempsey hasn't been that much better, but at least he's scored a few goals. Sig's set pieces haven't even been good either.

I don't think he should be starting BUT when you give a player a few 5 minute cameos and he gets 3 assists and plays well the normal thing is to then maybe give him 15 minutes..and then maybe 25 minutes..and then maybe more..until 1 of our starters dips in form and he starts. It's like AVB has an alarm set on his watch that reminds him to put Sig on regardless of result or how we're playing. When it's 85 minutes on comes Sig which shows AVB is not even putting him on based on what Sig could do to change the game etc etc..it clearly seems like he's just taking a punt and shows he has no real faith in him.

Last edited:
I don't think he should be starting BUT when you give a player a few 5 minute cameos and he gets 3 assists and plays well the normal thing is to then maybe give him 15 minutes..and then maybe 25 minutes..and then maybe more..until 1 of our starters dips in form and he starts. It's like AVB has an alarm set on his watch that reminds him to put Sig on regardless of result or how we're playing. When it's 85 minutes on comes Sig which shows AVB is not even putting him on based on what Sig could do to change the game etc etc..it clearly seems like he's just taking a punt.

Incidentally I don't think Sig should be ahead of Holtby, he couldn't get into the Hoffenheim team while Holtby was starting for Schalke in CL. I do think he should keep getting 5/10 min spells though, with the occasional longer appearance (unless he does something spectacular and warrants a start), he needs minutes to develop.

Whoever said his set pieces have been poor is severely misguided, we never score from corners but when Sigurdsson is taking them we suddenly look like a threat, and have scored from at least 2 of his corners in what must be a pretty small amount of minutes. More than can be said for any of our corner takers in the past decade...

I don't think he should be starting BUT when you give a player a few 5 minute cameos and he gets 3 assists and plays well the normal thing is to then maybe give him 15 minutes..and then maybe 25 minutes..and then maybe more..until 1 of our starters dips in form and he starts. It's like AVB has an alarm set on his watch that reminds him to put Sig on regardless of result or how we're playing. When it's 85 minutes on comes Sig which shows AVB is not even putting him on based on what Sig could do to change the game etc etc..it clearly seems like he's just taking a punt and shows he has no real faith in him.

Is it not possible that AVB just rates Dempsey and Lennon higher at the moment and has only been bringing on Sig when one of them has been running out of steam? Just doing what is best for the team.

Like I said, I really hope (and think) Sig has a different attitude towards this than you do.

Is it not possible that AVB just rates Dempsey and Lennon higher at the moment and has only been bringing on Sig when one of them has been running out of steam? Just doing what is best for the team.

Like I said, I really hope (and think) Sig has a different attitude towards this than you do.

No it's not a coincidence that the same damn player comes on at the same damn time 6 or so times in a row when he's on the bench. He might rate those players higher but i refuse to believe he genuinely thought they were going to contribute something 6 times in a row and then finally realise it might not be their game at the same damn time all the time. That' to you might be a possibility but to me it isn't.

And actually.

January for Sig:

Started against Reading
Started against Coventry in the FA-cup
Came off the bench for 10 minutes against QPR
Stayed on the bench against Manu
Started against Leeds
Came off the bench for 5-10 minutes today.

3 starts in the last 6. Sure two of those were FA-cup games, but having fallen behind Dempsey in the pecking order that's kind of what happens. He's still getting game time, he's still getting chances.

Back