• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur vs. Burnley OMT ***

It's often been claimed that Lamela and Eriksen get in each other's way too often when they lay in the same team.

To those who watched: Was this often the case again today?

Today was really a textbook example of 4-2-3-1. Chadli and Lamela as wide forwards, but width coming primarily from the FBs. They didn't drift too far inside, leaving Eriksen to operate in the hole.

Happy with the win but wish we had won more comfortably. Never thought we would struggle to beat Burnley at home. We did play well in the first half but failed to make all the chances count. We should have killed off Burney for all the chances that we created. Instead, apart from the goals by Kane and Lamela, we wasted too many chances. Disappointingly this caused us unnecessary tension until the match was over.

Great to see Lamela scoring his first ever league goal for us. And what a goal it was ! It was the sort of long range wonder goals which Bale used to score for us. I had always felt Lamela should try to score those range goals instead of trying to walk the ball into the goal. Nice to see Lamela changing his tactics and scoring for once ! IMO, Lamela was our best player in this match. Apart from the goal, he was troubling the Burnley defence with his dribbling and pace. He created a few good chances for others with his dribbling skills including the sitter which Kane should have scored in the first half. Hope Lamela will be boosted by this performance and goal to do well for us in upcoming matches.

Credit also to Kane for continuing his goal scoring run. But he really should have scored 2/3 goals in this match but wasted them. Really disappointed about him missing the sitter which Lamela had created for him. Lamela would be having much more than just 4 assists for us if our strikers had been more clinical in front of goal this season. For all his 14 goals so far this season, Kane still wastes too many chances in front of goal. He needs to be more consistent and clinical in front of goal if he wants to go on to become a great striker. Felt a bit disappointed Eriksen and Chadli didn't score in this match. Both did well to create the goal for Kane but were largely ineffective other than that. We really could have scored a few goals to improve our negative goal difference if both had been on form.

Also, we really need a top class defensive midfielder to control the midfield. Burnley simply had too many chances which the likes of Bentaleb, Mason or Stambouli couldn't stop. Someone should have stopped the Burnley player from scoring that long range goal. It was really disappointing we couldn't keep a clean sheet at home against a bottom 3 team like Burnley. More disappointingly, Lloris and the defence are conceding too many long range goals this season. We really need that defensive player who will stop those shots.

It was nice to get our 3rd consecutive win in all competitions. But we really need to go on a winning run to stay in the top 4 race. Hope we can do that somehow when we play ManU and Chelsea our next 3 matches.

Happy with the win but wish we had won more comfortably. Never thought we would struggle to beat Burnley at home. We did play well in the first half but failed to make all the chances count. We should have killed off Burney for all the chances that we created. Instead, apart from the goals by Kane and Lamela, we wasted too many chances. Disappointingly this caused us unnecessary tension until the match was over.

Great to see Lamela scoring his first ever league goal for us. And what a goal it was ! It was the sort of long range wonder goals which Bale used to score for us. I had always felt Lamela should try to score those range goals instead of trying to walk the ball into the goal. Nice to see Lamela changing his tactics and scoring for once ! IMO, Lamela was our best player in this match. Apart from the goal, he was troubling the Burnley defence with his dribbling and pace. He created a few good chances for others with his dribbling skills including the sitter which Kane should have scored in the first half. Hope Lamela will be boosted by this performance and goal to do well for us in upcoming matches.

Credit also to Kane for continuing his goal scoring run. But he really should have scored 2/3 goals in this match but wasted them. Really disappointed about him missing the sitter which Lamela had created for him. Lamela would be having much more than just 4 assists for us if our strikers had been more clinical in front of goal this season. For all his 14 goals so far this season, Kane still wastes too many chances in front of goal. He needs to be more consistent and clinical in front of goal if he wants to go on to become a great striker. Felt a bit disappointed Eriksen and Chadli didn't score in this match. Both did well to create the goal for Kane but were largely ineffective other than that. We really could have scored a few goals to improve our negative goal difference if both had been on form.

Also, we really need a top class defensive midfielder to control the midfield. Burnley simply had too many chances which the likes of Bentaleb, Mason or Stambouli couldn't stop. Someone should have stopped the Burnley player from scoring that long range goal. It was really disappointing we couldn't keep a clean sheet at home against a bottom 3 team like Burnley. More disappointingly, Lloris and the defence are conceding too many long range goals this season. We really need that defensive player who will stop those shots.

It was nice to get our 3rd consecutive win in all competitions. But we really need to go on a winning run to stay in the top 4 race. Hope we can do that somehow when we play ManU and Chelsea our next 3 matches.

By a sitter you mean when lamelA flashed one across the face of goal
Where he was behind two players who blocked his vision? If you can't see or anticipate the ball properly then you can't call it a sitter.

When Mason was playing we controlled the game and tempo and in the first half they didn't really have a sniff. It was only in the Second half we lost our shape and they were able to exploit fazios pace with some clever balls over the top. We are a work in progress but they didn't control the game at any point. First half was good, second half was poor

The stats don't tell the full story....Burnley played on the counter with 2 up front.

We were wasteful up front and troubled at the back. Look at how many saves loris had to make. It was a nervy match.

So Burnley nearly beat us, yet you acknowledge we was wasteful? So what you're doing is pretending every chance we had didn't count then every chance they had they should have scored? I could just as easily do the opposite and say We nearly thrashed them then...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

So Burnley nearly beat us, yet you acknowledge we was wasteful? So what you're doing is pretending every chance we had didn't count then every chance they had they should have scored? I could just as easily do the opposite and say We nearly thrashed them then...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

it was an open game and either sides could have won it. and this is burley with players and a manager i don't recognize and assume that their transfer and wage bill is only 1/10th of ours. no pretense there for me.

it was an open game and either sides could have won it. and this is burley with players and a manager i don't recognize and assume that their transfer and wage bill is only 1/10th of ours. no pretense there for me.

You know we did play on Weds with pretty much the same players? It's natural for us to drop off in the second half. Stop trying to make out this was a lucky win. Burnley had a few half chances which we defended well. Equally we could have won more comfortably.

I watched the game after it was actually played and knew the score and when/how the goals came.

Thought we were quite clearly the better team though.

That's a good point, but I was asking in reference to the last two home games

I really didn't think we tired much towards the end. I thought Burnley's best period was the opening 15-20 of the second half, they put a real shift in and worked really hard to stop us playing from the back and through the middle. If anything I thought they tired a bit and we were able to play more controlled. Towards the end we kept the ball I thought and looked reasonably fresh.

aside from freshness, they seemed to have faster players in all areas of the pitch. they seemed to catch up with our players when we broke, but we struggled catching up with them when they did.

their game plan was the quick ball to have ings vs fazio and it nearly worked!

Pretty standard when one team is counter attacking with 35% possession isn't it?

You know we did play on Weds with pretty much the same players? It's natural for us to drop off in the second half. Stop trying to make out this was a lucky win. Burnley had a few half chances which we defended well. Equally we could have won more comfortably.

I didn't say it was a lucky win. I am highlighting the lack of a significant difference between us and a relegation struggler. This despite
changing 5 players from our previous game, 6 if consider Mason's early exit.

A difference of opinion maybe, I think we are not out in the clear yet. Burnley isn't a very good test for a club with our players and ambition.

Today was really a textbook example of 4-2-3-1. Chadli and Lamela as wide forwards, but width coming primarily from the FBs. They didn't drift too far inside, leaving Eriksen to operate in the hole.

Correct. Although it was almost a 433. The important difference is that the wide players gave us width and the full backs were cuter with when they came forward.

Correct. Although it was almost a 433. The important difference is that the wide players gave us width and the full backs were cuter with when they came forward.
Who do you think was making up the third man in midfield?

Didn't really see any additional width compared to previous games other than Walker getting forward well. Chadli and Lamela stayed on their sides more rather than go centrally, but they weren't playing as traditional wingers.

I didn't say it was a lucky win. I am highlighting the lack of a significant difference between us and a relegation struggler. This despite
changing 5 players from our previous game, 6 if consider Mason's early exit.

A difference of opinion maybe, I think we are not out in the clear yet. Burnley isn't a very good test for a club with our players and ambition.

In terms of the result or in therms of the quality shown on the pitch?

Yesterday was a solid step in the right direction in this kind of game for me. Creating chances against "smaller teams" have been a problem for us for some time now. Had we taken one of our chances to give us a two goal lead I think we could have run away with it like against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Whereas had Saudi Sportswashing Machine taken their massive chance to make it 2-1 against us that game might have panned out more like the Burnley game.

I really don't think "Burnley nearly beating us at home" is an a good description of what happened.

Didn't really see any additional width compared to previous games other than Walker getting forward well. Chadli and Lamela stayed on their sides more rather than go centrally, but they weren't playing as traditional wingers.

Well I certainly did. The STARTING position of Chadli and Lamela is the key. As you said, they largely stayed on lines in the first half to receive balls. No-one is talking about them playing as traditional wingers (I think). By starting out wide, they provided the outlet balls for Eriksen, Mason and Bentelab to find rather than trying to thread balls through the eye of a needle as we have been so guilty of in these type of games in the past.

As a by product, two of our best chances came from Chadli and Lamela getting to the byline and crossing - first was Kane's headed goal and second was the ball across the face which Kane missed and then Eriksen blazed over.

We are getting there.

Yep now the team has had a bit of time to settle and Walker is back in the line up 4231 with inverted wingers all of a sudden looks a bit better. Im sure given a bit more time we'll see even further improvments

Eriksen. He ran the show from the Middle of the park as his heat map and key passes map shows.

Really? Had a look at the whoscored chalkboard of touches and passes. Looks to me that Eriksen is pretty much spot on the central version of Lamela and Chadli. Kane clearly ahead of those 3. Bentaleb deepest of our starting midfielders, Mason more box to box with Stambouli closer to Bentaleb after coming on.

Looking at Kane's touches when he played more or less as a #10 against Palace they certainly were no further forward than Eriksen's yesterday.

The starting 11's average age was 23.5 yesterday :eek: (If my calculation is correct of course)

Out of our 6 midfield / attacking players who started against Burnley, only Chadli was older than 23 (25).

Last edited:
I agree with your overall sentiment about some of the harsh criticisms some of our young players get but the bolded bit you wrote was pure bs

In your mind maybe, in my mind (and i think many others) he sold off most of the players we the fans had an affinity with and brought in the most stale, boring period of football i'd seen in my time as a fan, even worse than Graham. How many fans have complained this season they don't feel the same as they did about the club, they felt like they were falling out of love with football, earlier on in the season there were many comments about not feeling any affinity towards any of the players. Its only the past 3 or 4 weeks that the team is starting to give us something to shout about and the youngsters have played a huge part in this.

The starting 11's average age was 23.5 yesterday :eek: (If my calculation is correct of course)

Out of our 6 midfield / attacking players who started against Burnley, only Chadli was older than 23 (25).

Yeah. And not even half a season under Poch. Already starting to look good. So much potential in this team!

Back