• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Brentford OMT***

Still stunned as to why they changed tactics at HT, they were bossing it with the low block.
Frank is talking bolloks, they didn't have tactics, not in a football sense. the game plan was to harry and niggle Bentancur, Udogie and Maddison to pull us down to their level.
They came out second half acting Billy big baws thinking we were going to be riled up and continue in the same vein.
ange calmed us down and once we ignored the chaos around us we were the better team.

View from the game (got back home too late yesterday)

Spurs perspective

- First 20 minutes we completely dominated Brentford, they were in their own 3rd. Our mistake was to (we do this a bit) overcomplicate the play, we were trying to walk the ball into the net, bad decision making from midfield passing out (not using Werner more)
- Brentford broke up the game (more on that below), and hit us a couple of times on the counter
- Took us a while to read their counter attack pattern (runner off Tony, either left/right), once we did, it nullified a lot (a match fit Romero/VDV would normally be better)
- 2nd half the pace out the blocks destroyed them, Werner and Johnson (could learn a bit from Werner) combination, plus PEH showed his value
- Without the gifted goal, 2nd half would have been a cruise

Players
- Udogie's worst game in a Spurs shirt by some distance and he scores?
- Bentancur still not match fit
- VDV, Richi & Werner the outstanding players
- Maddison slotted right back into his pulling strings role but not fit/sharp yet.

Brentford
- As expected, bricky fouling, long ball (once they went behind, every keeper kickout was every man up, long), long throw, wind up merchants, two clams mocking Maddison's goal celebration in front of South stand. Ref and linesman as usual utterly useless (their #7 should have been booked in first 5 minutes), lots of their counter attacks were offside and not called, again, one led to a corner that was given.

Notable was the chants

- as @NaijaSpurs said, "Ivan Tony you should have cashed out"
- We also gave them a bit of "you aren't singing anymore" after the 3 quick goals

Game wasn't anywhere as close as it ended/seemed, a few things stood out for me
- We need a player that shoots, we have to make the opposition afraid of just stepping off us (#8 or #9 doesn't matter)
- Rich and Son are different threats, 1st half Son would have done something with the play we had.
- Need Sarr & Bissouma back

Bench is still thin as fudge ...

Edit, one addition - Because City got away with the FA Cup goal, Brentford immediately tried the same tactic x4 on the first corner they got, crowded Vicario (sides realize he claims a lot in the air) and pushing him.

Last edited:
After watching the recording of the game I realise how much I despite Brentford and their manager. When they came up I was pleased for them and their fans after years of struggling around in the lower leagues they made it to the top division. Thier football was basically that of a well organised Sunday morning team, in my prime I could have easily fitted in, why people pay to watch that when they can see it for nothing at their local park is beyond my understanding. Shame on the media for keep talking them up, they are not in the 4th division fighting in a cup tie they are a PL team and should be called out for their negative tactics. I dont watch pundits or listen to commentary but I bet some arsehole used the phrase "game management " in their hot air.

View from the game (got back home too late yesterday)

Spurs perspective

- First 20 minutes we completely dominated Brentford, they were in their own 3rd. Our mistake was to (we do this a bit) overcomplicate the play, we were trying to walk the ball into the net, bad decision making from midfield passing out (not using Werner more)
- Brentford broke up the game (more on that below), and hit us a couple of times on the counter
- Took us a while to read their counter attack pattern (runner off Tony, either left/right), once we did, it nullified a lot (a match fit Romero/VDV would normally be better)
- 2nd half the pace out the blocks destroyed them, Werner and Johnson (could learn a bit from Werner) combination, plus PEH showed his value
- Without the gifted goal, 2nd half would have been a cruise

Players
- Udogie's worst game in a Spurs shirt by some distance and he scores?
- Bentancur still not match fit
- VDV, Richi & Werner the outstanding players
- Maddison slotted right back into his pulling strings role but not fit/sharp yet.

Brentford
- As expected, bricky fouling, long ball (once they went behind, every keeper kickout was every man up, long), long throw, wind up merchants, two clams mocking Maddison's goal celebration in front of South stand. Ref and linesman as usual utterly useless (their #7 should have been booked in first 5 minutes), lots of their counter attacks were offside and not called, again, one led to a corner that was given.

Notable was the chants

- as @NaijaSpurs said, "Ivan Tony you should have cashed out"
- We also gave them a bit of "you aren't singing anymore" after the 3 quick goals

Game wasn't anywhere as close as it ended/seemed, a few things stood out for me
- We need a player that shoots, we have to make the opposition afraid of just stepping off us (#8 or #9 doesn't matter)
- Rich and Son are different threats, 1st half Son would have done something with the play we had.
- Need Sarr & Bissouma back

Bench is still thin as fudge ...

Edit, one addition - Because City got away with the FA Cup goal, Brentford immediately tried the same tactic x4 on the first corner they got, crowded Vicario (sides realize he claims a lot in the air) and pushing him.

The only period we dominated was the first 20 mins of the second half IMO. They looked comfortable first half and caught us on the break more than once.

After doing so long without Maddison, it seems that going through him in the center slows things down a bit. More possession and control but less penetration overall.

I thought everyone played well against a bunch of cheaters. Udogie's back pass was a bit complacent and unfortunate but he will learn. Brentford were very lucky for their first goal. Ange has to work on getting more shots on target, everyone knows we try to walk the ball into the net and responds accordingly. Werner looks excellent - much needed pace and penetration from him.

Bottom line is that we won and despite gifting Brentford 2 goals.
1706800137186.png

He was good, like the rest of the team, the first 15 minutes, and absolutely phenomenal the first 20 of the 2nd half. He made 2 mistakes that led to goals, but that happens. Otherwise he was good and did what he's supposed to do.

Disagree (and I'm a fan of Udogie), was in wrong places, misplaced passes, just seemed very off his game (still worked hard and obviously scored), really didn't use Werner enough in 1st half.

Not sure if you were at game (it often looks very different on tv), but live it really came across as a mare of a game from him.

The only period we dominated was the first 20 mins of the second half IMO. They looked comfortable first half and caught us on the break more than once.

Not sure I agree, first 20 mins of first half they were in their third, us overcomplicating it and trying to walk the ball into the net hardly equals "comfortable" for them.

They did catch us on the break, we adjusted at a certain point and the breaks stopped, but they were always playing a percentage game, their game plan was a smash and grab.

After doing so long without Maddison, it seems that going through him in the center slows things down a bit. More possession and control but less penetration overall.

I thought everyone played well against a bunch of cheaters. Udogie's back pass was a bit complacent and unfortunate but he will learn. Brentford were very lucky for their first goal. Ange has to work on getting more shots on target, everyone knows we try to walk the ball into the net and responds accordingly. Werner looks excellent - much needed pace and penetration from him.

Bottom line is that we won and despite gifting Brentford 2 goals.
View attachment 16720
Hmm I dunno about the notion we had less penetration with Maddison. We've recently been suffering from no penetration regardless. The West Ham match, The United game, Bournemouth, City etc all lacked goal mouth action from ourselves so I don't think you can really make that claim.

Not sure I agree, first 20 mins of first half they were in their third, us overcomplicating it and trying to walk the ball into the net hardly equals "comfortable" for them.

They did catch us on the break, we adjusted at a certain point and the breaks stopped, but they were always playing a percentage game, their game plan was a smash and grab.
Hmm I think they were very comfortable in the first half. It wasn't a case of last ditch challenges or tackles being necessary. We typically played it around then either tried to play a misplaced though which was easily cleared or we ended up passing backwards and starting the build up again. The second half was quite different due to the speed of the passing and desire to play more one touch quick football.

Comfortable in the sense that we didn’t create much and didn’t trouble their keeper. When people say “we battered them” but barely created anything but just had loads of possession that isn’t battering someone IMO. Most teams would be happy defending when it is in front of them, we had no width in the first half.

This aged well. :)

Not really, we were still poor for large parts against an inferior side.

What we did at the start of H2 we should have done at the start of the game.

We shouldn’t be conceding goals and hanging on against sides like that.

After watching the recording of the game I realise how much I despite Brentford and their manager. When they came up I was pleased for them and their fans after years of struggling around in the lower leagues they made it to the top division. Thier football was basically that of a well organised Sunday morning team, in my prime I could have easily fitted in, why people pay to watch that when they can see it for nothing at their local park is beyond my understanding. Shame on the media for keep talking them up, they are not in the 4th division fighting in a cup tie they are a PL team and should be called out for their negative tactics. I dont watch pundits or listen to commentary but I bet some arsehole used the phrase "game management " in their hot air.

I was, again, appalled by them.

Not really, we were still poor for large parts against an inferior side.

What we did at the start of H2 we should have done at the start of the game.

We shouldn’t be conceding goals and hanging on against sides like that.

For the first 10 minutes we were playing through them with ease. Toney started fouling, causing a ruckus, we started getting wound-up, dragged into it, focus went, lost our dynamic sense, started playing through Madders to lock-pick, he's still finding his way into full match awreness/fitness, it all just ground to a stop/start in the first-half. PEH brought some nous and stability in that regard, we upped our speed from the back to front and bang, there we were. Udogie made a mistake. It happens. We're still learning. This is a game we'd have drawn or lost in the previous few years under, err, 'winners' with their 'winning mentality' (the clams).

For the first 10 minutes we were playing through them with ease. Toney started fouling, causing a ruckus, we started getting wound-up, dragged into it, focus went, lost our dynamic sense, started playing through Madders to lock-pick, he's still finding his way into full match awreness/fitness, it all just ground to a stop/start in the first-half. PEH brought some nous and stability in that regard, we upped our speed from the back to front and bang, there we were. Udogie made a mistake. It happens. We're still learning. This is a game we'd have drawn or lost in the previous few years under, err, 'winners' with their 'winning mentality' (the clams).

That kinda backs up what I'm saying, Spurs can always underperform, we are never safe from an aberration.

(Conte won 2/3 and didn't concede a goal tbf)

Back