• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs Blackburn United - OMT

He's 10 months younger than Bale who gets a ridiculous amount of abuse and is twice the player.

Neither should get abuse for me. But in a way, it's also about experience, I never mentioned this in the last post, but the fact this is walkers first season for spurs, the first 16 months as a premiership player, he deserves more slack.

I sort of agree with you on the fickle spurs fans outlook. But you're sort of worse, that DIDN'T happen and you're complaining!!

I'm not so results orientated. For me if a defender fudges up and the oppositon player misses a sitter that is just as bad as if the opposition player scores. The next thing you ask is how often does it happen? If it's a one off (like Friedel against QPR) you just have to hold your hands up and say it's one of those things. If a defender continually fudges up and gets away with it, then that isn't a good thing in my opinion. It's just a matter of time before they're punished or go on a run of games where they are punished frequently.

All I'll say to this is:

a) I don't regard him as young. Young for me is 18 or 19. If a 20 year old pro keeps giving the ball away cheaply then they'll be doing it at 30 too.
b) He scores two or three goals a season. Not sure what else he offers going forward to be honest, as his crossing is fudging atrocious and his passing not far behind.

So at 19 he's young and has time to learn but when a player is 20 they'll be doing the same mistakes at 30? how exactly does that actually make sense to you? l

Even if he's crossing is brick 99% of the time (of course i don't think that but i do agree that it's his weak point) the fact that he burst forward can take 1 or 2 of the opposition players with him which is a great benefit to our other players so that's what he offers going forward.

What's "fudging nuts" is you claiming we had as much chances when we played QPR and Sunderland as we did today. That's more then fudging nuts.

What clear cut chances did we have today? Gallas from a corner? We had a few corners against QPR. Sandro's long that hit the bar (so therefore technically is off target)? We had a few of those. Direct free kick on goal? We had one of those.

People have short memories it seems. Not to mention today we were at home so you'd expect us to have more chances, especially considering the opposition weren't the greatest. All of that has to be taken into consideration when judging a performance.

We played no better today than we did against QPR. The difference was today things went for us a bit more. That's the way it can work in football sometimes. Fine margins and all that.

So at 19 he's young and has time to learn but when a player is 20 they'll be doing the same mistakes at 30? how exactly does that actually make sense to you? l

Even if he's crossing is brick 99% of the time (of course i don't think that but i do agree that it's his weak point) the fact that he burst forward can take 1 or 2 of the opposition players with him which is a great benefit to our other players so that's what he offers going forward.

Even 19 isn't that young in my opinion. We are talking about the basics here remember. Most of these guys have been playing football daily since they were 4 or 5 years old. If they can't pass a ball accurately at 16 I doubt they will at 20, 30 etc.

Even 19 isn't that young in my opinion. We are talking about the basics here remember. Most of these guys have been playing football daily since they were 4 or 5 years old. If they can't pass a ball accurately at 16 I doubt they will at 20, 30 etc.

So in your view no players over 19 ever improve

Neither should get abuse for me. But in a way, it's also about experience, I never mentioned this in the last post, but the fact this is walkers first season for spurs, the first 16 months as a premiership player, he deserves more slack.

Completely. But I think its really a reaction to the amount of hype and praise he got during our good spell.
He had a great game today. Hopefully we see his crossing improve over the next few seasons.

Did kyle walker shag your missus or something? Its the only possible explanation

Lennon is a bad example, because his crossing is poor and always has been. What Lennon started doing, but seems to have stopped doing, was rather than trying to pick out his crosses just get to the byline and drill the ball along the six yard box. For a while that compensated for his poor crossing. His actual aerial crossing has never improved since he first played for us and I doubt it ever will.

ooh, don't know about that...

he often clips it to the far post, on either foot too.

So in your view no players over 19 ever improve

The basics? Probably not. Decision making improves for some players, and players also get naturally stronger which will add to their game. But I am a great believer in :

a) truly great players have skills that can't be coached or taught, and they have those skills from a young age. All the top players now were better at 17/18 than the majority of senior pro's in their position.
b) the basics are so drilled into players from a young age that if they are making basic errors at 18 they'll be making them most of their career.
c) top flight players are special, very special. Once again a lot of what they have simply cannot be coached.
d) some players change their position in their career (or at least their manager does) and all of a sudden that player becomes brilliant. That is not down to a player improving, but a player being utilised correctly for the first time, e.g. Kevin Phillips started out as a right back!
e) players do improve as they get older, but it's not leaps and bounds. It's refinement rather than drastic improvement. I also think that players who tend to rely on athleticism tend to actually decline at an earlier age if they lose their agility, speed etc. That's why someone like Robbie Keane at 28 was an inferior player to Robbie Keane at 17.

One thing that can have a massive effect on performance is player character and confidence. Some young players come in and are fearless from the off (Owen, Rooney) and at 16 are better than the majority of players in their positions. Some young players are more nervous and will make uncharacteristic mistakes when they first break into a team due to those nerves. But usually that settles down after a few games. The exception being some foreign players may take a lot longer to settle as they have so many new things to adjust too.

I have had this very argument on here time and time again. First time around was under Hoddle, when I dared to suggest (and got slaughtered for it!) that Davies, Etherington and Gardner clearly weren't good enough. Then after his debut game I got ripped into because I said Ifil clearly isn't good enough. I was personally abused when I dared to suggest that Huddlestone would never be good enough to be an England regular etc. So I am not shocked that I am fighting a losing battle here, because I always am when I debate this point :lol:

I know people disagree with me but I look at Kaboul, Ekotto, Lennon, Huddlestone, Defoe and none of them are any better than when we first signed them. Sure their form waxes and wanes, but generally they haven't improved. That isn't a criticism of them either, because they've all done us proud. Even Bale really, who I think HAS improved due to getting stronger. But those first few games under Jol Bale was immense. Then he got injured and it took time to recover from that. We're also playing as a winger. So I wouldn't say Bale has massively improved since we signed him, more that he is back to the level he demonstrated when we first signed him.

Lennon is a bad example, because his crossing is poor and always has been. What Lennon started doing, but seems to have stopped doing, was rather than trying to pick out his crosses just get to the byline and drill the ball along the six yard box. For a while that compensated for his poor crossing. His actual aerial crossing has never improved since he first played for us and I doubt it ever will.

I don't agree with this at all. Watch Lennon play for us and you can see his crossing is so much better now. His choice in what type of ball to play is so much better now. And he can do those stood up or curling balls really well... case in point, the ball for our first goal today. Beautiful. Look at that ball he stood up for Adebayor against Swansea.

All recent examples. No, Lennon's crossing is actually quite good now, and underrated. He is still an easy spacegoat for people who just watch Spurs on MOTD - "oh that Lennon's got a brick final ball", when the reality is different.

You seem to like picking on Walker - and his crosses DO hit the first man far too often. Lennon's hardly do this at all now, which was a bigger problem for him back in the day.

Lennon's main problem is nothing ability-related, IMO. He just needs to be a bit more brave - go at his man more - have a bit more belief in his ability. Whenever he does do this, he usually skins them, or pulls them completely out of position, or wins a corner, or in some way has a positive effect on the game. But I feel a bit too often he takes the safe option and just plays an easy ball. This can be a good thing, it's a sign of maturity, he wants the team to keep the ball and keep the pressure maintained.

But I think he should just up the risk element slightly more. If he can do that - get it firmly entrenched in his mind that when on form he's one of the best RM's in the league.

Nice to see some togetherness

ArqvWeLCQAAbySr.jpg

Finish 3rd and there's a chance we'll keep this team together. Is Luka looking to go out 'on a high' or is he really committed? A lot will depend on his suitors. If manu are in for him and are willing to match last years 40 big ones, he's gone imo.

Like I said....Bale = OMT GHod. We dominate, and we get headers on the post and on target, and we score direct from a fudging free kick.

The world has gone utterly insane. Still, I'm not complaining.:lol::lol:

Got to say that was one of the worst games I have ever seen at the Lane today.

Just ain't right when one team feels more important to not lose, or lose big even though relegation is staring them in the fooking face.

Abolish the pt for a draw

Got to say that was one of the worst games I have ever seen at the Lane today.

Just ain't right when one team feels more important to not lose, or lose big even though relegation is staring them in the fooking face.

Abolish the pt for a draw

You wanna abolish draws?

You cant abolish the point because there will be draws so 1 point for a draw or zero points for a draw is exactly the same as the current scoring system just few points on the table.

I genuinely believe, and have done all season. Anyone who slags off walker is a complete fudging macaron with zero intelligence and no football brain whatsoever. We can constructively criticise his game yes, he some weaknesses which he has been working on, but his first season at the club, how young he is, what he offers going forward, you seriously have to be borderline retarded to truly slag him off.

so who has truly slagged him off then?

Gary Neville the best RB ever to play for England and in the PL rates him as the best England have and he has forgotten more than 99% of the board will ever know about football

Walker is young, he has basically had to play every game, he is still learning, has massive potential and will get a whole lot better, but will still make mistakes as all do who play football..

People should be supporting him more really, no need for him to be a spacegoat

Not sure why you think he is the best right back to ever play for England, but I guess he's up there with the best of them.

Who was trying to make a spacegoat of him, and for what, we didn't lose.

If this or the post from Grimsby is aimed at me, then I think you should both take a step back and look at what I actually said.

All of which I stand by and am prepared to discuss with anyone who wants to actually discuss it, and not try insulting me because I don't think he had a fantastic performance, and looked pretty ordinary agains a pretty poor opposition. If he had played like that against a proper winger we would have conceded, in my view.

His goal does not disguise or make his errors or flaws go away.

You wanna abolish draws?

You cant abolish the point because there will be draws so 1 point for a draw or zero points for a draw is exactly the same as the current scoring system just few points on the table.

Something needs to be done, sick and tired watching games where teams do nothing but defend. I had neck ache in the first half, and in the second I couldn't move my head to watch without fooking pain.

Back